New- Localizing Waze Map Editor

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, orit_y

Re: New- Localizing Waze Map Editor

Postby davipt » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm

I could almost swear I did ask here for access for the other languages so we can test them, specially for the more special cases like pt_PT / pt_BR :(
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun May 12, 2013 2:24 pm

edsonajj wrote:
davipt wrote:I could almost swear I did ask here for access for the other languages so we can test them, specially for the more special cases like pt_PT / pt_BR :(

What I had understood was that for the WME we could not have "branches". That is, there will only be one english, one portuguese, and one spanish.

Ok so I'll stop my time on the ptPT translation until this gets sorted out and I'm able (or not) to test the strings on the beta editor.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun May 12, 2013 3:32 pm

orbitc wrote:Just wondering... Is ptPT all translated. Usually, it needs to be fully translated before it uploaded.

No it's not because at a certain point one starts looking at the strings and wondering where they exactly come from and how much space is available, hence why it would be nice to test them on the website before finishing the translation - it's a beta site anyway, and the language is not imposed to anyone.

In other words, there are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that looks at a string and tries to translate them without context and then shit happens days later when the translation arrives at the destination, and the ones that look at the client (website) and try hard to understand the context and space available and consistency and translates accordingly. On the client and TTS I can translate locally, on the other ones I can't, so it's a lot of guessing work.

I hope I don't need to be the first kind before I can even test anything.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 am

orbitc wrote:Just wondering... Is ptPT all translated. Usually, it needs to be fully translated before it uploaded.

Let's assume so.

Orit, ptPT is fully translated now, can you please push it into the beta? I see Português (brasil) already there!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

WTH? Since when are the translations live on the official editor? Did I miss this announcement? Because orit mentions uploads every two weeks and somehow I'm not even seeing this - both beta and prod shows at least one string that was translated "by davipt, a month ago". As I saw no updates on the beta, I just gave up (focused on other stuff). Now I discover there is a live system already with those old strings? WTH?!

Update: I've double checked many other strings. No update for a whole month for pt_PT. And same version on beta and prod.

Orit, we need *at least* daily updates on the beta editor - and ANY OTHER BETA WEBSITE - to be able to test the strings correctly. Without it it feels like waze mapping some years ago - tweak a segment, wait one month, try, fail, tweak again. It sucks!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 pm

berestovskyy wrote:I'm not sure when it went live, since I missed an announcement as well. But this morning one polish guy complained that everything we've discussed on a forum still not implemented in production :(

I think it's just someone missed a branch name or smth :lol:

But is it the polish version more updated on beta than live? Because the portuguese version was updated *once*, one month ago, and it's the same old version both on beta and live.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
davipt wrote:But is it the polish version more updated on beta than live?

No, both of them are the same "mechanical" translations (i.e. english -> angielski). I saw Orit's message that the changes will be uploaded next week, so I hoped we could have a chance to check it in beta once again.

No annonce, so I think it's just someone made a mistake at Waze.

Ok so we're all in the same boat. Going live is not a big issue because there is no link AFAICS there, only if you know to append the country code. world.waze.com/editor doesn't show the language drop down.

But having a single deploy of the translations in more than one month gives me no willing to continue those translations. I've been waiting for the WME update to even start the website update. I'm not gonna translate random sentences without knowing the context where they appear, or be able to quickly test them on the final place. Two weeks is inadmissible. A daily update is already too long, but I could live with it.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:59 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
davipt wrote:Going live is not a big issue because there is no link AFAICS there, only if you know to append the country code. world.waze.com/editor doesn't show the language drop down.

Actually, it is showing. I even tried to logout and reload the page -- it's still there (see the attachment).

True. It wasn't showing when I tested but it did some minutes or hours later. Maybe the html was still cached on my side, even with a page refresh. Oh well...
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Sat May 11, 2013 5:58 pm

davipt wrote:I could almost swear I did ask here for access for the other languages so we can test them, specially for the more special cases like pt_PT / pt_BR :(

What I had understood was that for the WME we could not have "branches". That is, there will only be one english, one portuguese, and one spanish.
Edson Jiménez
Coordinador de comunidad, México
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Sun May 12, 2013 4:26 pm

davipt wrote:In other words, there are 10 types of people in the world

And there are also those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Edson Jiménez
Coordinador de comunidad, México
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Localization