Post by harling
kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:Two-plus weeks of no objections to the proposals to change Michigan's state highways to M-XXX and Kansas's to K-XXX. When do we make it official?
I think it is probably good enough. Page updated.
I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
harling wrote:I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)
If they display just the shield, does the "MA-##" matter?
As long as it displays the shield in the nav list and on the client screen, and pronounces it simply "route ##", it doesn't matter. That's one of the features I am waiting for, before changing anything. But if something goes wrong and shield support is delayed, "MA-##" is Plan B.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
That's my understanding too. I'll keep referring to the shields solution in the hypothetical until it is actually released into the production WME, though. ;)
harling
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
kentsmith9 wrote:I sent a PM to Skapur1 to comment in this thread on an edit made to the Road Naming by State page in the Wiki Saturday. The change was for North Carolina from the current standard to:

State Hwy = NC XXX
County Hwy = SR XXX

Reason given: County roads are maintained by the state DOT in North Carolina.

I believe changing this page of the Wiki requires consensus with the other state editors. Unilateral changes should not be done without some discussion here or a notation that conversations have taken place with the other editors.
He is correct in his assumption about the reason he changed it but I don't think we have ever discussed it publicly. The last discussion I had about Road Naming in North Carolina was with FrisbeeDog privately and we were waiting to see how the shield implementation was going to pan out. I do remember one of our concerns was for the shields going away at the time if we changed it to NC-XX. So we kinda of tabled it for public discussion.

Personally, I like the NC-XX. I did a little experiment with it a while ago and the TTS was pronouncing it correctly (ie NC XX). But we could have gotten lucky with our state abbreviation. I believe others have run into issues with other state abbreviations so haven't pushed the issue.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
kentsmith9 wrote:HavanaDay, are there some roadside images you might be able to post to show the local road signs with NC-xx, vs. the more typical SR-xx used in the other states?
I am unclear what your are asking for are your looking for some sort of sign that says NC-XX on the actual sign. If that is the case I will go hunting for one but what we would normally see is the like here in the wiki link:
What about the County Highway format being SR XXX that I believe will translate to "State Route XXX" with TTS? That one does not make sense to me unless you are saying that since the NC DOT manages those roads they are called "State Routes".
As stated in a post before this one roads will have an actual road name attached to them (ie Gibbons Rd instead of SR-XXXX). I believe there are some cases in the mountains and the coast that are actually named State Road XXXX but are not signed with anything.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
@Cbenson - Yes you dang northerns are always coming to our beaches :D (Spoken as a former Yankee)

@Kent - yes that is the way all the signs I have seen them look like. Distance to signs also tend to say NC-XX 12 miles

@skbun - That is probably what is most appropriate.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Just a general question about the K-XXX. Is that how the roads are labeled out that way. Garmin might have me trained, but aren't most states abbreviated with the State Postal code (IE NC-XX, PA-XX, VA-XX, FL-XX, GA-XX)?
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
I know this thread is kind of old now, but... I've noticed a number of times you guys mention trying to lessen space used, and trying for brevity when possible and making TTS less wordy, etc. That being said, can we change the wiki so that "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" will not do?

Sorry, I don't have any ramps in my area named that way, so I'm not sure if the "new & improved voice guidance" has changed it, but it drives me nuts when I hear "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" or "Exit right to Exit to Kindergarten Court" instead of just "Exit right to Kindergarten Ct"

(Maybe just keep it for LH exits so you get "Keep left to exit to Kindergarten Ct" if the consensus says to keep it at all?)
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by kentsmith9
skbun, at the 2013 meetup we did discuss this and we did make two conclusions. 1) We know shields are still working in some areas and not in others. Waze is unsure why this is happening, but would look into it. 2) Waze was going to work on an interim step on shield generation to give us the ability to link the shield to the primary name at a minimum. They might be able to link it to secondary name, but they have a bigger project for the final solution.

So to say
skbun wrote:That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.
was not my understanding.

That being said we have other thread discussing the renaming to the shortened names including the ones you have listed below. I am a big supporter of that shortened naming, but we all agreed to not make any major changes until we heard from Waze on the shield generation.

I propose we hold a few more weeks to let Waze respond and then we take action on what change we propose.

(Full Disclosure: this morning before you posted this I made an edit to the above wiki page to remove a note that we do not name US Highways as "US-xx" because that is untrue in much of the country.)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I created a Shield Generation Error Examples thread for us to post examples of shield generation errors that also show shields generated on adjacent segments with identical settings.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message