Post by troyv
kentsmith9 wrote:I am trying to understand your proposal. Do you recommend we modify this page http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Upda ... Map_Editor to include a link to the page you showed? I assume that is to provide related background information?
I guess the point of my proposal is to have a "one stop shop" on how to handle update requests/map problems. When one has to resort to searching the forums, as I have, to find out how to deal with situations that are relatively common, it becomes inefficient and frustrating.

Instead of a link, I personally would prefer information on this that is specifically relevant to editors.

I am still confused as when to mark things as solved vs. not identified. I have occasionally heard that you almost never want to mark things as "not identified" since some gestapo may suddenly appear on your door if you do that too much (slightly exaggerating :) ).
troyv
Send a message

Post by troyv
AndyPoms wrote:Ahhh... IGN... There are two types of pins in WME - URs & MPs. URs are user submitted and have the smile face on them. MPs are system detected issues and are just the pin.

MPs should not be marked "Not Identified" (so IGN doesn't show up and build a parking lot). Marking URs "Not Identified" is fine.
This is exactly the kind of information I need. I am wanting to clean up some of the exclamation marks on the map, both the UR and MPs, but I need to know when to do what.

BTW, I am an AM, but probably one in need of better training :)
troyv
Send a message

Post by troyv
ArlenBystander wrote:The thing to remember when looking at MPs is that it's just Waze indicating there might be a problem but isn't necessarily something that needs to be changed. "Missing road" MPs that go through a small parking lot, "most users didn't follow the suggested route", or "roads too far apart" at a properly configured intersection most likely don't need more than verifying there are no problems and marking the MP solved (as long as you're sure it's right).

As Andy said, do not mark MPs as not identified. That just rattles the IGN cage which can cause more harm than good. If in doubt, leave it for someone else to look at, contact another editor, or post a question in the forums.

As far as URs go, I see no problem marking them unidentified if there is insufficient information whether that be lack of suggested/driven route traces or lack of user input. The "not identified" button will send an email to the reporting user saying more information is needed and point them to the forums.

Also, something to keep an eye out for UR pins that are sort of MPs. You'll see "waze automatic" (or similar) in the description. I seem to recall (haven't seen one lately) that these get generated when Waze thinks the city/state/country assigned to the segment is incorrect but there may be other cases.
Thank you, excellent information! And it's information that I could see going on a wiki for others to quickly find out about ;)
troyv
Send a message