Post by kentsmith9
milkyway35 wrote:I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

Could you please add something to explain that highways can go thru a Town ?

Here, the streets definition : Usually for local travel within a town.

Most users think that all Roads inside a town must be set as Primary street even If the road is a Highway. That lead to a non-continuity of the Highway network.
I think this is a good idea. I will take a look at adding something.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
milkyway35 wrote:I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

Could you please add something to explain that highways can go thru a Town ?

Here, the streets definition : Usually for local travel within a town.

Most users think that all Roads inside a town must be set as Primary street even If the road is a Highway. That lead to a non-continuity of the Highway network.
I presume you are actually referring to Road Types (USA).

When I read the current content on that page for Minor Highway, I believe it already addresses your concern. If you don't think so please provide some propose change you think would improve the text to address your concern.
Wiki - Minor Highway wrote: While still a labeled route that can be followed to get from one city/town/neighborhood to another, routing of thru traffic is not always a priority in the street design. Some minor highways are built with a higher priority on through traffic, while other minor highways are nothing more than a label dropped onto existing residential streets.

Minor Highways vary widely from large multi-lane roads with stoplights and higher speed limits, to small residential streets with stops signs.

Some minor highways may zigzag thru an area with many turns on local streets.

A Minor Highway thru the main street of a small town often retains focus on local access with pedestrian traffic and on street parking.

As a good note, remember that in major construction zones for Highways under construction, often Waze will try to route you through the construction, as if its the only route, since it prefers highways.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
There is another thread discussing concurrent road names. We have decided to update this Wiki section to reflect the result of that discussion. I have asked that thread to move the conversation on the Wiki changes here.

Here is the new section on Road Naming with concurrent names.

Part of this content was in the Interstate section, so I moved that to this section since it also applies to highways and other numbered routes (not just interstates).

If anyone believes the content should be somewhat different please report back here so we can discuss.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
To support the Road Naming (USA) page I created a new page as a complete table of all states in the US. Each state row identifies the 3 different road type names that are currently different by state. I started the table with the data currently in the road naming page, but if anyone sees that a particular state is using a different naming convention please let me know.

I wikilinked each state name with the home wiki page for that state. If there was no home page I created a redirect from that page to the most relevant page for the state (typically the To Do list page). If anything thinks there is a better page to link for a particular state let me know.

I noticed on the New Jersey to do page the road naming convention listed the short form being adopted by more and more states recently. I am using that information as the basis for this table (and not the lack of that information on the road naming page) saying NJ is using the short form.

According to the Missouri to do page the short form naming convention is being considered so I updated the table for that.

According to the Oregon to do list, State Routes are ORxxx (without a dash). However looking across the state I am still seeing a lot of "State Hwy" names on roads, so I will let Alan comment on what should be in the table for now.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
bigbear3764 wrote:kent, can we get Illinois State Hwy XXX changed to State Rte XXX. A few of us talked, just never updated our Wiki page. This was our thread on it: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=39248
Done
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I sent a PM to Skapur1 to comment in this thread on an edit made to the Road Naming by State page in the Wiki Saturday. The change was for North Carolina from the current standard to:

State Hwy = NC XXX
County Hwy = SR XXX

Reason given: County roads are maintained by the state DOT in North Carolina.

I believe changing this page of the Wiki requires consensus with the other state editors. Unilateral changes should not be done without some discussion here or a notation that conversations have taken place with the other editors.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
HavanaDay, are there some roadside images you might be able to post to show the local road signs with NC-xx, vs. the more typical SR-xx used in the other states?

What about the County Highway format being SR XXX that I believe will translate to "State Route XXX" with TTS? That one does not make sense to me unless you are saying that since the NC DOT manages those roads they are called "State Routes".
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
vectorspace wrote:With the knowledge expressed in this forum so far, are we going to a state-by-state naming convention?
I believe that is a true statement. The justification for that was because the current method is identified in the Wiki we are proposing a pretty significant change with wide-reaching implications. For that reason, if a particular state's primary editors believe the short convention (or even some alternate convention) is desired, then they can post that proposal and with consensus make the change.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
HavanaDay wrote:I am unclear what your are asking for are your looking for some sort of sign that says NC-XX on the actual sign. If that is the case I will go hunting for one but what we would normally see is the like here in the wiki link:
NC-Signs.png
(301.64 KiB) Downloaded 1546 times
I see the driver will only see the number on the road, so we are open to any prefix that matches what the locals would know. What I mean is if you are not local to NC, you have no idea what prefix to expect, but for what is on the road sign. Therefore I see no problem with NC-XXX based on this information.
HavanaDay wrote:As stated in a post before this one, roads will have an actual road name attached to them (ie Gibbons Rd instead of SR-XXXX). I believe there are some cases in the mountains and the coast that are actually named State Road XXXX but are not signed with anything.
What I think I am hearing is we probably need to make a note that there are no roads that are numbered for the county roads since they all have displayed signs with names, not numbers. However there may be exceptions. Maybe we can find an image of an exception to review and decide for those remote conditions?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The idea of this discussion thread was to determine what standard is being used in each of the states. Remember that our primary mission is to always show the driver something that should match what they see on the road. If information is not present, then local editors familiar with that state voice their opinion as to what people will recognize and translate from a Wiki direction to a roadway sign.

If each state is using completely different signs and naming conventions, I don't think it helps to have Waze use one universal convention that matches none of the states. So I think we are on the right path, but let us be cautious of simply having one editor state an opinion and then that becomes the norm. The idea was to confirm with other state editors and come to a consensus before we make a change to the Wiki guidance.

And yes the current table was derived from the default Wiki direction of spelling out the State Hwy xxx and State Rte xxx, while a number of states already determined the shorter SR-xxx was much better in reading the navigation instructions on longer exit and roadway names.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message