Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: bretmcvey & ARC: ehepner1977 | SunnyRaynbows
------------------------------------------------------------

Places for Region 3

Post by
Landmarks have been replaced by Places. I am updating this original post with a link to the new Wiki for Places. All references to how and when to use Places shall reference this wiki: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places

Text below is outdated, hidden, but retained for archive as well as rest of posts.
I think it would be best to reference this post in Louisiana thanks to Jason, as it is currently more up to date with our ideas and thoughts from the 2013 Meetup. A few things that have made me post it here for the region as a whole. Businesses, we aren't in the business of mapping businesses. That is to say, we map to create accurate maps, if the business wants to be on the map, they'll have to submit their request at http://biz.waze.com like any other business.

Now for POI, Waze has third party agreements to use the search engines of those providers like Foursquare, Yelp, and Bing to name a few, to find the business in a searching manner.

The next thing, parking lot landmarks. Parking lots for stores and strip malls should not be mapped. Park and ride lots are preferred to be mapped for this landmark type at the moment. Discussion currently going on about other lots that are for public, whether paid or free.

For more information about the landmarks that we are to be mapping, please reference this well written out list here: Louisiana Landmarks

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
robc007 wrote:These videos were shown as required viewing the first time I looked at the editor:

I've linked to the part that shows adding a landmark as the best practice.

I've also read this in many places on the website. You might try Googling it.
Those videos are dated April 2012 & they show the old version of the editor. A lot has changed since then.

See this post for the current information on Parking Lot Landmarks: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 34#p353599 Nothing about parking lots has changed from that draft to the next version.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bgodette
razor2k wrote:Yeh, what it's showing there is what I thought....by adding the PL landmark it's supposed to not have an affect on the adjacent road causing a jam if you turn and stop in the PL. There are a lot of innuendos on how to do this but last I heard they do not suppress jams.
That's apparently all they've ever done since our first attempt at getting Waze to handled the MP proliferation problem when they first introduced MPs to WME.

Since actual Parking Lot segments were not a solution at that time, we wanted the landmark to suppress jams, stop speed pollution, suppress MPs, and not show up on the client map, but all we got was MP suppression applied to Parking Lot and Gas Station.

Now that Parking Lot segments actually work, in a mostly sane way from an expected routing perspective, it's the current best solution with its own set of drawbacks. If we can just get them to be near invisible on the client and result in reasonable TTS we'll be ok even tho it'll look a bit messy in WME.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
As for the toll booth, there are a few marked in Illinois. Question is what size does that landmark have to be to be seen while doing 65+? I saw a UR the other day marking a toll booth. Turned on landmark layer and saw it there so I'm assuming at higher speeds, they couldn't see it. I'll have to dig and find that one to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
the1who wrote:Agreed, sitting here, zoomed in, I can see it. I assume that when you come to the toll booth on the freeway, and have to slow down, it'd show I assume.

That UR, was it for toll booths at the exits? Just curious.
Nope, in a straightaway where they have the cash and fly by EzPass lanes. Pretty sure this was the one on the I-90 Skyway:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-87.56 ... TTTFTTTFTT
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Another thing about Train Station landmark, we have commuter lots with daily pay spots and permit only parking. If it is known to have permit only parking, don't include that in your landmark. In one town I know, permit parking is on one side of the tracks and daily fee parking on the other side. I would think someone with a permit will know where to park and if someone was looking for daily fee parking and saw a landmark on the wrong side of the tracks, that might make them leave a UR that would make the Jolly Drivers thread.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
robc007 wrote:All the other threads and docs I've read about parking lots say that adding a parking lot is the correct way to fix routing errors on the map when it shows someone turning off the road. And I've been following those instructions. Why in this one thread is everyone going against the documented instructions?
Parking lot landmarks? Where is there documented instructions anywhere about using parking lot landmarks to correct routing errors?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
robc007 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Those videos are dated April 2012 & they show the old version of the editor. A lot has changed since then.
Then all the new editors are being introduced to obsolete instructions? I can adapt to the guidelines in the forum, they're just hard to find from my point of view.
The primary instructions are contained in the Wiki. In order to receive any kind of real editing permissions, you have to know the wiki guidelines and instructions well.

Frankly, all of the community leaders watched those videos back when the current version of the editor came out last year. I suspect that since then you may very well be the one of the only people who have ever watched it. If a lot of people actually watched the videos, we would have a much different problem than we currently deal with. You'd be surprised at the number of people who dive into trying to edit without reading a word of *anything*.

You've basically called our attention to something that needs to be addressed with the developers and marketing people. Thank you for that.

Via my iPhone 4S
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Good start on the wiki for Ohio landmarks, Jeff. Something about gas stations ought to be included, since they aren't mentioned in your "landmark that isn't a park, cemetery, university, major sports venue or, major cultural institutions" categorization.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Posted a slight revision to Ohio mapping conventions. Is it any closer to being something we can run with?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
No complaints here.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1