Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Feature Request: Auto Quit or Tasker Integration

Post by natekittelson
Waze is a great app, and I really want to help improve other wazer's experience as well as my own driving, but I just can't get over the icon the android app puts in the status bar. I'm only going to be using waze when I'm driving, not when my phone's in my pocket at work. First, since waze is running in the background requiring GPS it's taking up battery while I'm not using it, second the icon is cluttering up my screen needlessly, and third my ROM MIUI turns the notification area into a bunch of switches that I use often if there are no notifications present, but when waze is running I won't get those switches.

I totally understand why waze puts the icon there, that's not the problem. My small gripe is that you have to launch waze and then quit through the menus to get rid of the icon and there's no way to automate it instead. I know I know it's not that big of a deal, but when I get into my car the phone senses bluetooth, starts my music, and starts waze and the phone rarely comes out of my pocket making it more of a hassle to quit waze when I'm done driving.

In my personal situation I use tasker to automate my phone when I get in my car and I've tried setting tasker to just kill waze when I lose my cars bluetooth signal but that doesn't get rid of the icon. Tasker has a great plugin system that the waze developers could use to add a Quit Waze entry into the tasker action list without effecting the waze UI at all.

Alternatively as I'm sure my situation is fairly uncommon what about a feature that automatically quits waze after a configurable (or even auto configuring) amount of time spent either moving at walking speeds or not moving at all? That would affect more users than just those using tasker.

As of now I really want to use waze but the inconvenience of having to pull up the app and quit it every time I stop driving is too annoying to justify the gains. I'm sure most people don't care, but this guy and possibly a couple other people do. I'm not threatening to rate your app zero stars or anything if this doesn't get added, I just think it would be really nice for at least a few people.

Thanks for making such an otherwise wonderful app and kudos to the developers for the many other features.
natekittelson

POSTER_ID:7412493

Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
This is not about the button in the notification bar. That still works.

This is about a way to automatically (!) make Waze exit. This doesn't work with the current version of Waze using the described use of AutoShortcut.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
Why has this been removed? :cry: I've been looking for this functionality for a long time.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by Spil
Simple solution for Android: I use "ES Task Manager", which includes a widget for one-touch killing of any programs that you don't want running. Just add Waze into its "kill-only" list, and touch that icon when you want to kill it. :)
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by rivalcomp
Just a small up to this thread. I'd like this feature too. We need an externally callable action intent to make Waze to exit clearly. I'm using Tasker too.
rivalcomp
Send a message
RivalComp@EzüstAstraCaravan

Post by khaytsus
My current workaround is the Tasker kill Plugin, it works well but I wonder how waze likes being Force Closed all the time.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by khaytsus
dmcconachie wrote:The latest beta actually makes this possible! Not directly but on Jellybean devices there is a new "Shut off" shortcut on the notification tray.

You can hook into this using Tasker if you install the "Autoshortcut" plug-in

Once in your Tasker Profile hit "+" to add an action then choose "Plugin" -> "AutoShortcut"

Hit the "Edit" button. At this point it will depend on your launcher, using Nova the top list item I get is "Activities", I click that, expand "Waze" and there is an activity in there named something like "Shut Off"
Have you been able to get this to work on the latest Beta? They seem to have changed it, and obscured it or something. The only activity I can find now is FreeMappAppActivity which just seems to launch the app, doesn't exit it when it's running.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif