Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by danrspen
This is the kind of thing where we should err on the side of giving the user too much information. The point is to be aware of speed cameras.
The problem is that I'm getting less information with these popups since the popup completely hides the bit of map I'm currently driving in to. I use Waze for navigation not to avoid speed cameras.
The next version of the app will be more reliable with these alerts.
I'm guessing the "reliable" doesn't mean "option to disable"? :(

Can we at least make the easier to closer? The close button is tiny and right next to the huge "Not there" button making them difficult to close while driving.
danrspen
Send a message

Post by dips-y
This thing is very very annyoying. At the very least it should be placed right at the top of the map or the side, at the moment it takes up a large section of the main screen. There should be an option to turn this off or at the very least move it from the central view of the user.

The other very annoying thing is that it always asks me to download simon voice app and each time I say NO. But it keeps asking me again every time I log in !
dips-y
Send a message

Post by jhenschen
My problem is that I don't get speed or red light camera sound alerts even when I'm speeding past the camera n(which, frankly, is usually). I get map routing sounds just fine. Just not when there's a camera, cop, speed trap, etc. I have a radar detector, but that doesn't help with the instant on laser the cameras have around here. One got me a couple of weeks ago and Waze never warned me.
jhenschen
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There also need to be more granular settings on the app to control popups/alerts/sounds for different types of events/reports, etc.
I completely agree that most people who travel through an areas with speed or red light cameras are already VERY aware of their presence since this is supposed to be a nav tool more for commuters. :mrgreen:

If I had a route with one of these camera, I might pull out the rest of my hair dismissing this icon every day.

Maybe if the client could remember the last time it displayed the camera warning and then have the option to not repeat the warning again for a month or at least a week. At a minimum maybe there can be an option to have the timeout to dismiss the camera warning be shortened to 2 seconds so it does not disrupt the commuter who already knows its there.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by lmpessoa
I also have issues with the camera (and other) popups not because of their fequency but because of their size. I also go through ways with a camera every half KM(!) so the popup never closes. As a result, sometimes I can't see where I should make a turn until I'm nearly at it! I would be very glad if these popups could be smaller.
lmpessoa
Send a message
- Leonardo

Post by ncjharris
FWIW, I would echo this.

My regular route on the M25 has several camera's - including some bogus ones that someone keeps adding back in! - which means that the pop ups can be there more often than not.
In addition, I've noticed that it doesn't always give me the verbal warning as well as the visual one. Not too sure how I disabled this (if at all).
ncjharris
Send a message

Post by pathfinder92
It would be nice if once you verified that the camera is there, it would only notify you if you were exceeding the speed limit.
pathfinder92
Send a message

Post by sketch
Make it an option if anything though. I like the reminders. And I certainly don't want them to time out until I am good and clear of them.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Pathfinder92 wrote:It would be nice if once you verified that the camera is there, it would only notify you if you were exceeding the speed limit.
The problem with that is if you exceed the speed limit only after passing the point where the alert would have originally popped up.

As it stands, if you pass that point going under the limit, you get a pop-up but no audible notification. If you then accelerate, you still don't get the voice notification (you should, I think). At least you have the pop-up, though.

If Waze decided not to show the pop-up when you pass that point under the speed limit, either it'd be like now and you'd be SOL with no alert at all, or the app would have to warn you at the point you exceeded the limit, which may be too late.

The speed cameras here are used in populated urban areas. Populated urban areas have stoplights. Sometimes speed camera alerts show up when I'm pulling up to one of these stoplights. If I don't get notified of an upcoming speed camera, I might accelerate away from that light and past the speed limit just in time to hit the camera.

This is the kind of thing where we should err on the side of giving the user too much information. The point is to be aware of speed cameras. Make it an option, maybe, but don't make the alert conditional like that for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!