Idea for problem alleys?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Idea for problem alleys?

Postby Timbones » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 pm

This thread is also very old. Locked.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby pinpusher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:08 pm

A few lines of code could fix the alley routing problem extremely fast. Only route to the nearest street unless the pin has been moved.

Per https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Illinois#Alleys "As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues." IMHO, Chicago alleys should be turned into linear place features or remove them, it as much quicker to remove them than to move 100,000 address pins.
pinpusher

Postby PhantomSoul » Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm

It's sounds to me that the MP's based on old data are a side effect of the way these problem junctions are detected, and even though the problem may have been conclusively fixed, Waze will keep generating problem pins there until enough drives through that junction follow their suggested routes to counterbalance the deviated drives that triggered the MP to begin with.

I usually just mark them as solved if I can't find anything wrong with the junction. Most of these occur at the minor street and parking lot junctions of a road that approaches a known traffic-prone intersection and the deviations are people just turning to find a different way to go despite Waze wanting them to continue in the traffic, perhaps because it doesn't know about the traffic yet.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 am

tonestertm wrote:OK. Thanks again. Lessons learned. Old data, don't forget to check the Livemap.... :chagrined:
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Not at all! You raised a valid question, learned about how these things work, and there's always the possibility that someone else will read this thread and also learn from it.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby tonestertm » Wed May 15, 2013 6:54 am

OK. Thanks again. Lessons learned. Old data, don't forget to check the Livemap.... :chagrined:
Sorry to have wasted your time.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 am

The OLD DATA is what really needs to be stressed here. Unless you've personally seen Waze route you through a Parking Lot segment, or you can get it to happen in LiveMap, you can't trust the Routing shown on the Route Not Taken MPs.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby jemay » Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 am

tonestertm wrote:OK, here's another one that's live right now, and I know I've seen it quite some time ago. The difficult left turn out of the alley on to Cahuenga is even Disallowed!
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... 0,62193649

Another example of OLD DATA being used for the automated map problems. In the live map, waze will only do a right turn out of that street https://www.waze.com/livemap/?lon=-118. ... g=62383329
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks for all the great feedback! I guess the wiki needs updating/clarifying re: the penalty for junction nodes. (Not news, I know. The wiki alone is a pretty mammoth job. And there is no Add-ons tool....)

There are two spots immediately coming to mind, which are definitely not end-of-drive. Dunno about the old data thing, but I think you may be right (again) about the lack of actual User Reports, ottonomy. Good point. It does sometimes seem as though the automated Map Problems come out in batches, maybe there's a cache and the problem's still being held after the problem is solved, hence the broken display in your example, but I would doubt that.

Here's a permalink I've created for one of the usual suspects (though there's no Issue at the moment). Northbound La Cienega to Eastbound Santa Monica and I've actually seen all of these segments as Waze generated suggestion, with the user drives continuing on past on Santa Monica. Again, I suspect this usually happens at rush hour, and this whole area gets pretty busy and the route may be faster, but it's a parking lot road, fer cryin' out loud....
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... 2,61655529
I have seen this one show up at least twice, perhaps as many as four times over a substantial length of time, without an evident problem on the map.

And, davipt, I don't think anyone responded to you; if I understand you correctly, these are not residential streets, but small access roads running parallel to main streets, usually, but not always, behind businesses. They're not meant for regular traffic, but access to rear entrances or parking lots, sometimes parking under/behind apartment buildings or even houses with a garage in the rear. Thanks for the ideas.

OK, here's another one that's live right now, and I know I've seen it quite some time ago. The difficult left turn out of the alley on to Cahuenga is even Disallowed!
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... 0,62193649
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ottonomy » Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 pm

One thing to remember when looking at MPs of the type "Suggested route frequently ignored" / "Most users did not follow the suggested route" is that for some reason many of these seem to be generated by quite outdated drive and routing data, where the problem has been solved conclusively, but the Waze automated map problem routines keep putting them on the map over and over. I see these SO frequently, and yet so rarely do I see an actual user submitted map problem where Waze proposed a route over a parking lot road. In the cases where I do see such URs, I suspect that the situation is often what jemay has suggested, that we can't see the route end point in the UR, and that Waze didn't actually route PAST the parking lot or private road, but merely chose it because the destination address marker was closer to the alley than to the street segment.

There has been some debate about whether Waze is still using old data for these MPs, or if indeed people are still being routed over parking lot road segments. I submit the following exhibits as evidence that such MPs are still being generated after the problems have been solved. In this case, the modification dates of the disconnected segments were well over a month earlier than the date when I found this MP and captured the screenshots (March 9 / April 20). It's interesting to me that the Waze suggested route is broken approximately where the segments are disconnected. It's as if the automated process knows that the problem has been solved, but it can't talk to itself...
SuggestedRoute1.jpg
(65.17 KiB) Downloaded 1167 times

ModDate.jpg
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 1167 times

I've been following this issue as it pops up in thread after thread, and I'd really appreciate a PM if any of you editors out there find examples of actual user submitted map errors where its clear that Waze has routed through a parking lot road or private road segment which is not at the end point of a route. Only with URs can we verify that the routing occurred after a segment road type has been set.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 pm

The MP/UR do not have enough information for all the alley ones that I have seen, all I have seen are the route instructing them to turn down the alley but not "through" the alley. So I suspect what bigbear stated about the location (stopping point)
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor