Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderators: Jackson, krankyd, rondesta, adriansinger

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby Kuhlkatz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

In South Africa we use the N,R,M naming convention for major routes : N - National, M - Metropolitan and R - Regional, supposedly.

I do not always have a headset plugged in, nor have it connected to the Radio via Bluetooth. I do however always have the radio on and barely ever listen to TTS.
I recently noticed that that TTS prompts me to turn onto the 'North One North' or 'North One South' where the road designations are 'N1 North' or 'N1 South'. It's named with no spacing between the N and the 1, so I would typically assume this should be pronounced 'Enn One'.

I would assume that the English version of TTS is global and not Country specific as this is likely handled with the 'nasal twang' for US voices and the occasional 'Keep left, mate' instead of 'Keep left' for Aussie versions ;)

Is there any way we can override this behavior with other naming conventions, or how do we handle this ?
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze C

Postby Kuhlkatz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As is mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, we have no ability to influence TTS pronunciation. We have requested a phonetic field which would help in many cases, but would not likely be able to influence accents.

Alan,

The post reason was twofold. Confirmation that N# produces 'north number' in TTS despite no spacing and I'm interested to know if there is a current 'workaround' for this.

I'm not concerned about the accent, but it would be cool if Waze had this bit customized with voice files like Garmin and other providers.

The TTS override as discussed elsewhere is a good idea, but if the current Livemap does not even indicate reality, this is likely also far off.
It might actually happen in my lifetime still, you never know...
Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm

davidg666 wrote:I ask because there's an issue that affects TTS here in Ireland - and presumably also in South Africa, where they use similarly-named roads - that could easily be resolved by making the TTS behave slightly differently.

David, I have been following this thread with some new interest, as we indeed have the same problem. I drive on the 'North One South' and 'North One North' daily, so it is a bit of a thorn in my side, especially since I have seen quite a few URs on this and know I can do nothing to fix it.

We can likely live with the 'N'1 N / 'N'1 (N) or 'N'1 S naming convention if Waze 'tweaked' TTS slightly, but I was not happy with resorting to the 'n'1 N or 'n'1 S convention to work around this.

I'm just curious as to how the name actually looks and displays in the client, and how visible the single quotes are.

Instead of just 'tweaking' this every time, Waze devs should possibly just look at using or defining some opening character and closing character that will likely NEVER appear in any actual names, and use that as a 'literal' indicator, where anything that apears inside the literal is not subjected to testing for abbreviations.

Something simple like the square brackets or even the curly braces. Naming it [N]1 N, or even [N1] N, and they simply drop the brackets in the displayed name, and do not pronounce [N] as 'north'. Even something like ~N~1 N, where the single 'tilde' characters are ignored. I presume fixed 'opening and closing' delimiters would be simpler to search. They could even be used as an indicator that this character sequence should be pronounced individually instead of treating it as a word, like [QE]2 or even [NY] being explicitly overridden as 'Queue Eee Two' or 'Enn Why'.

Something like this would be far simpler to implement in code, instead of having to populate an additional DB field to use as a TTS override using phonetics, where 99% of all existing named segments would likely never make use of the phonetic override.
It just requires some simple string manipulation during Back-End parsing which they likely do already.
Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:43 am

So, I already mentioned this to Weezer but I noticed for the very first time today the TTS for CONST ZN was "Kahnst Zee N" and not the intended Construction Zone. I can also confirm this was previously not a problem as I heard it correctly within the last couple of months (not sure exactly when since I don't routinely travel this area). Any thoughts or anyone else noticing this problem all of a sudden?
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Gizmo,
I already sent you a PM but since this is an issue of potential public interest I will follow up on the forum too. I can confirm that while the TTS for CONST ZN worked previously, it no longer does. I am not sure how to send the TTS file. I will search around the wiki, etc. but if you can point me in the right direction, that would be helpful. I need very basic step-by-step instructions...unfortunately. :oops:
Thanks,
LL (and yes, I have a Droid 4)
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Co Rd is now pronounced as "Coe Road" and not "County Road". Also contrary to naming conventions on the wiki. Again, this is a new issue, not a problem up until this release...
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:59 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Are you sure, because I could swear that it has been that way for a while. We have a ton of county roads in NW Ohio, and we have slowly been changing them to "CR xxx" as we canvas the rural areas. "CR" does get pronounced correctly as "County Road", and not to be confused with "Country Road".

Gizmo, I guess it's possible but I know for sure that CONST ZN and Co Rd happened at the same time. I cannot say for sure about the release prior to 3.5 b/c I had so many GPS issues that I went back to the release before last....

Regardless, I will start using CR. Thanks for the hint.
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 am

Regarding the infamous Coe Roads, I am almost positive that up until a couple of months ago, everything was pronounced correctly. Perhaps I am going a little nutty though. Either way, thanks for the tip on CR, etc.
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 am

So, just heard "Bus" (for Business) pronounced Bus...again, this is new for me, as of a month or two ago. I did clear out my cache at the recommendation of others but that never made a difference. Sorry if this is a repeat. I haven't been on the forums as much lately.
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby LittlestLou » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 am

Wow, I guess I used a more out-dated version of Waze longer than I realized. I can confirm it worked before, as did CONST ZN and Co Rd but I only recently noticed otherwise. Again, must be using an older release. I am so behind the times.
ImageImage
LittlestLou
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to United States