Un-dividing divided roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Un-dividing divided roads

Postby gohamstergo » Wed May 15, 2013 6:21 am

jasonh300 wrote:
gohamstergo wrote:Well, I see plenty of "Missing Road" SRs on many intersections. Would fix that by unsplitting the intersection. I would only change them as SRs appear. My questions is, should I?

Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

I'm not talking about unsplitting roads as a whole, I'm talking about joining the 'intersection' and only the intersection, so as to control u-turns, etc. As was the original point of the OP.

For example, both sides being a V like this. (not the perfect example, but you get the idea, I hope)
gohamstergo

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 am

gohamstergo wrote:Well, I see plenty of "Missing Road" SRs on many intersections. Would fix that by unsplitting the intersection. I would only change them as SRs appear. My questions is, should I?

Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby gohamstergo » Wed May 15, 2013 3:16 am

jasonh300 wrote:
gohamstergo wrote:So, what is the general consensus? Personally, I'd like to unsplit most (if not all) intersections to give full control of the turns. Is this an acceptable practice now? There may be times where leaving them split is best, I'm not sure. Just looking for input before I make any of this style of change on a broad scale.

If its working, leave it alone.

Well, I see plenty of "Missing Road" SRs on many intersections. Would fix that by unsplitting the intersection. I would only change them as SRs appear. My questions is, should I?
gohamstergo

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 am

ncc1701v wrote:I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?

Aw, man. Stop it. I'm about to sob with happiness reading such things! :cry: :lol:

That's the exact way to get perfectly straight streets! (No mucking with the junction after of course.)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ncc1701v » Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 am

I first want to thank everyone for this thread. I never would have known about preserving both sides to save house numbers.

I have a procedural question. In the video I see that you merged each length of road between junctions independently. I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 am

gohamstergo wrote:So, what is the general consensus? Personally, I'd like to unsplit most (if not all) intersections to give full control of the turns. Is this an acceptable practice now? There may be times where leaving them split is best, I'm not sure. Just looking for input before I make any of this style of change on a broad scale.

If its working, leave it alone.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby orbitc » Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have also verified that this process works even when the two sides of the split road have different names.

Alan, after looking at your video, I realize you use all the pieces wheres I deleted my 2 half's. Therefore, I had some missing house numbers. Thank you for the video. :)
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby gohamstergo » Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 am

So, what is the general consensus? Personally, I'd like to unsplit most (if not all) intersections to give full control of the turns. Is this an acceptable practice now? There may be times where leaving them split is best, I'm not sure. Just looking for input before I make any of this style of change on a broad scale.
gohamstergo

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I have also verified that this process works even when the two sides of the split road have different names.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I made a little video of this process. Watch it in fullscreen or at least 720p to see details. No cursor capture was working, sorry.

AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor