Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Moderators: MapSir, Arnoniem, shogsbro, moosool

Re: Split Lanes vs Two-Way Roads

Postby bazgrant » Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 am

Yeh thats pretty much it, I think it could work the way you describe - the only problem is that that is a hell of a lot of work :(
ImageImage
bazgrant

Postby bazgrant » Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 am

I'm not entirely sure how this would work on the majority of roads in and around Abu Dhabi; if there is a single two-way road how do you control turn restrictions from the physical other side of the carriageway that should not be possible? i.e. if you are driving along the right hand side carriageway and there is a turning over on the left hand side carriageway that you physically cannot get to, how would you control which carriageway was allowed to use the turning if it is a single two-way road?

Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently :)

Just my 2 fils :)
ImageImage
bazgrant

Postby Arnoniem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 am

I have to agree with bazgrant as well.
I think the "problem of Dubai" is not caused initially by the split roads.
But as i also read in another post of nbezuidenhout, there are a lot of crazy segments, overlaying other seggments, sometime 3 or 4. Sometimes half overlap, and therefore it looks like one road, but there are 2 or 3 and not connected.
I didn;t run into that in Abu Dhabi, but I do in Dubai. And it's a nasty job to fix those.

The issue of unsplitting roads is that it's causing a lot of red arrows on the map, if you do it right. Because a lot of roads, are connected only on 1 side of the road, such as parallel parking roads, and local acces roads. It will be a hell of a job to set all these right. And if you have bad luck, and a level 1 editor finds the SHIFT-Z option, he'll set them all to green turns and ruins the map.

About the spaghetti crossings of 2-by-2 (primary) intersections: we should keep it simple, and functional, and not draw all the possible traffic motions. If it works with the right instructions, you just get a simple square, with u turns possible drawn outside it. Sometime the shortcut for taking a right (if its a big cut-off of the corner) and that should do it! :D
Global Champ BeNeLux Champs UAE Champs Android Beta Coordinator Middle East
CM:The Netherlands CM:U.A.E. CM:Oman CM:Thailand
Arnoniem
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to United Arab Emirates [دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة]