Most users did not follow the suggested route?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Most users did not follow the suggested route?

Postby davipt » Wed May 15, 2013 11:51 am

Here's an example of old data. The segment was last changed in February, can't recall it it was disconnected from the major road below on that day or even before. The suggested route sends south to the major, which is physically impossible for a long time.

Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 12.50.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 12.50.00 PM.png (963.02 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby dbwiddis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:40 am

Most of these are old, already solved, probably reappearing as a result of the DB rollback.
AM Las Vegas, Nevada
dbwiddis
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby doomedtx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Areas like this are driving me crazy:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=72575252

All along US-65 I frequently see reports where Waze seems to be trying to turn them around. I've gone through US-65 from top to bottom and can't see why they aren't being routed correctly. The fact that multiple URs exist (such as the one currently next to the auto MP seen in the permalink) means they really are getting incorrect routing. I just don't know how to fix it. Maybe when conversations come to WME I can ask the users for destination information so I can try to track down the error.

To make matters more confusing to me, IIRC, when I traveled US-65 to Louisiana in Feb, it never tried to turn me around, but here in July people are still getting that instruction.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it *seems* like US Highways have a greater incidence of this type of MP than other roads. I wonder if it's because they tend to have more nodes per journey (ie, users ask to be on these roads for longer distances in general) and are more affected by a single turn restriction being wrong. It would be nice if the auto MP were able to give the area causing the error instead of the area where it tried to turn people around.
ImageImage
AM for Arkansas
doomedtx

Postby doomedtx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 pm

As it turns out, using the livemap I was able to find one segment of US-65 S that wasn't allowing routing, although on WME all the arrows were green. I deleted several extra nodes and there is now one continuous segment between the two points that currently don't work on the livemap. I'm gonna try it again when the servers update to see if I fixed the problem or other routing errors exist.
ImageImage
AM for Arkansas
doomedtx

Postby heckmandm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 am

I found that same thing here in Omaha & Lincoln; had about 5 or 6 auto-URs and only 1 of them had an actual error with a turn restriction.
GregtheDude
Area Manager: Lincoln | Omaha | Seward Co. - Nebraska
heckmandm

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm

ncc1701v wrote:
Ayzmo wrote:I just got one based on old data as well. Users were ignoring a road that hasn't existed in over a year.

but ... that's a different kind of old data. If Waze is trying to send people over a road that hasn't existed for a year and WME complains that users are NOT taking it, that means Waze is wrong. (If WME complains that people were taking a NEW road it doesn't know about, that's a problem to ignore.)

No?

The issue is that the roads were changed or deleted a year ago. Before that, people were being routed via that deleted or changed road, and they were ignoring it. The data was being collected at the time, but there was no MP to report it. Now that the MP exists, it finds these problems in that ancient data and shows the error in the editor.

I haven't seen any instances of Waze trying to route on a road that has been deleted from the map.

Likewise, people have posted that these MPs show that users are being routed through parking lots that were changed to Parking Lot type segments months ago. But nobody has seen this happen in a LiveMap simulation or on the actual client...once again, old data. If these things were actually happening now, we'd be seeing URs as well as the MPs.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 pm

doomedtx wrote:As it turns out, using the livemap I was able to find one segment of US-65 S that wasn't allowing routing, although on WME all the arrows were green. I deleted several extra nodes and there is now one continuous segment between the two points that currently don't work on the livemap. I'm gonna try it again when the servers update to see if I fixed the problem or other routing errors exist.

This sort of problem with bad junctions was supposed to have been fixed a while back, but I found one today that Waze refuses to route through. I wish I would've realized that was the case before I messed with it so I could've sent it to the developers. In most cases, all you have to do is move the junction slightly and it'll route properly. However, the only way to find these buggy junctions is for someone to get routed around it and complain...or randomly try different routes in LiveMap. They shouldn't happen at all, ever.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ncc1701v » Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 am

I've seen plenty that are real problems. Let's see, in the last two days I've had several with mistakes in road direction, one where the road wasn't actually connected, and several where a one-way road had a self-connection that was confusing routing. I see more that are apparently real problems than not. Sometimes there is no explanation for the routing. In that case I either mark it solved or occasionally I take the junction apart and reassemble it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ncc1701v » Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 pm

I see reverse connections on all three junctions in that triangle (http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=Glossary#Reverse_Connectivity). Try fixing those (http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=Community_Plugins,_Extensions_and_Tools#WME_Junction_Node_Fixer) and see what happens.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ncc1701v » Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Ayzmo wrote:I just got one based on old data as well. Users were ignoring a road that hasn't existed in over a year.

but ... that's a different kind of old data. If Waze is trying to send people over a road that hasn't existed for a year and WME complains that users are NOT taking it, that means Waze is wrong. (If WME complains that people were taking a NEW road it doesn't know about, that's a problem to ignore.)

No?
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor