Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
1. Include the city and state in the "Subject:" line of your post
2. Include a Permalink to the segment(s) you wish to unlock or have updated
3. Provide a short explanation of why you need the unlock or update done.
4. Thank the user who solved the request and mark the thread Solved.

Please note that a higher level editor may choose to fix an unlock request themselves so higher value segments will remain protected at their level.
Post by sketch
txemt wrote:I'm not convinced. Because the exit then splits off, I don't see why someone needs to make the ramp a freeway. I'm also not convinced on why the segment anti-S-crap created needs to be a ramp.If that's the case, then why don't we do that at every exit on the interstates throughout the country.
It's not a run-of-the-mill exit, it's the end of an interstate. The split is a decision point. 696 ends and you have to decide whether to go east or west on 96, the parent interstate.

It's standard practice to name one side of such a split "exit", and not the other. Regardless, neither side has more weight than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
txemt wrote:With the exit sign and the 696 technically ending at that exit, doesn't that negate your argument?
If 696 ends at the exit, then the left segment should be a ramp all the way to the end.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
txemt wrote:Oops, I missed a word. That was supposed to real "technically NOT ending at that exit"
Then I'd use a ramp stub on the left for the instruction and keep the freeway for the last few hundred yards for the sake of traffic reports, etc.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
txemt wrote:But the exit is an exit. It follows the rules and guidelines of an exit.
It's really not that simple. It's not "just an exit" if the exit has the same number of lanes as the continuation. That's a textbook (or, wiki) example of when it is proper to use a wayfinder segment.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yes. I would absolutely use a wayfinder there. Especially because the continuation is on the right.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
The Wiki provides rules for wayfinder segments in the Junction Style Guide. The guide gives three example situations where we need to use wayfinder segments. Two of the three apply in this case — lane drop and non-obvious continuation.

The wayfinder rule was added later than most of the junction style rules, after editors noticed the need for them. Some editors who weren't around at the time may not be familiar with it, so some junctions that merit them may be missing them. But it's still in the rules.

If you wanna ignore that the rules state that we need to use wayfinders when they are called for, fine. Say it's up to editor preference. Well, in this case, we have three editors (a local level 5, a local user who noticed a problem, and a guy who's been creating and forming both maps and rules since 2009) who are familiar with the area and who think there should be a wayfinder there.
diegoz281 wrote:Besides, isn't that the purpose of the Wayfinder segments?
Yes, that is precisely their purpose, and that's why this should be one.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Done!

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by txemt
No. Waze does not give directions to "stay straight."
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Because there is a ramp or exit 1, waze will treat is as you are going straight.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I'm not convinced. Because the exit then splits off, I don't see why someone needs to make the ramp a freeway. I'm also not convinced on why the segment anti-S-crap created needs to be a ramp.If that's the case, then why don't we do that at every exit on the interstates throughout the country.
txemt
Send a message