Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: bretmcvey & ARC: ehepner1977 | SunnyRaynbows
------------------------------------------------------------

Places for Region 3

Post by the1who
Landmarks have been replaced by Places. I am updating this original post with a link to the new Wiki for Places. All references to how and when to use Places shall reference this wiki: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places

Text below is outdated, hidden, but retained for archive as well as rest of posts.
I think it would be best to reference this post in Louisiana thanks to Jason, as it is currently more up to date with our ideas and thoughts from the 2013 Meetup. A few things that have made me post it here for the region as a whole. Businesses, we aren't in the business of mapping businesses. That is to say, we map to create accurate maps, if the business wants to be on the map, they'll have to submit their request at http://biz.waze.com like any other business.

Now for POI, Waze has third party agreements to use the search engines of those providers like Foursquare, Yelp, and Bing to name a few, to find the business in a searching manner.

The next thing, parking lot landmarks. Parking lots for stores and strip malls should not be mapped. Park and ride lots are preferred to be mapped for this landmark type at the moment. Discussion currently going on about other lots that are for public, whether paid or free.

For more information about the landmarks that we are to be mapping, please reference this well written out list here: Louisiana Landmarks
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by MisterMooCow
I'm completely on-board with any guidance limiting landmarks.

I think we should discuss the merits of further excluding most of the public building landmarks-- in dense urban areas (especially ones that are county seats or state capitals), having every city/county/state/school/library/first-responder/medical/etc. building mapped as a landmark starts to obscure the roads. In addition, it's not clear to me what benefit these other kind of landmarks add-- if a DMV or police substation is just another store/outbuilding in a mall, it's not apparent to me how showing that on the app helps with navigation.

For these reasons, I've been pretty draconian on what I remove in Ohio (see my first pass at Ohio mapping conventions -- I'm hoping that some other Ohio AMs/CMs will help hone that into something we can all get behind). There's probably a happy medium in there somewhere and I think active local AMs can find that place by looking at what shows up in the app. For new/less-experienced editors, I think it's best to have a general guideline of "err on the side of NOT mapping a landmark".
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
Parking lots: my understanding is that the app gets parking lot information from four-square. Has that changed?

On all the municipal/first-responder/whatever buildings: in a big/dense urban area (like a state capital), the density of these things is entirely too high -- you end up with wall-to-wall landmarks. We also have tiny little police stations that are basically kiosks in strip malls.

Since new editors don't get the distinction, it's a zero-tolerance thing with me -- if it's not a landmark (i.e., something that will help orient you in an area that is both unfamiliar and confusing -- not just entertain you while you sit at a traffic light), it's gone.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
mapcat wrote:Posted a slight revision to Ohio mapping conventions. Is it any closer to being something we can run with?
Looks good to me. I tweaked it a bit -- check my edits to make sure I didn't go too far?
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by razor2k
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:I have been pretty liberal in killing landmarks in my areas as well. I wish the gas stations were a hidden landmark because there can be a lot of them bunched together especially on busy roads/intersections. The only ones I usually keep are ones that I think would provide a service to the user to be there like hospitals, sports stadiums, airports, museums, or (major) tourist attractions. Something that isn't usually classified as a business and is generally not something that a Wazer would go to that often. There are only a couple of parking lot landmarks that I will keep, and those are usually those at airports so someone who doesn't go to an airport that often would know where the parking is and what type of lot it is (short term, long term, ect).

I thought we discussed at the meetup that the landmarks need to be cleaned up, or was that just on the 30 page list that was given to Waze?
Add Police/Fire/Rescue to that and I think everything is pretty much covered 8-)

Waze really needs to limit the landmark options, but this has been discussed before and nothing has changed.
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by razor2k
jasonh300 wrote:
robc007 wrote:All the other threads and docs I've read about parking lots say that adding a parking lot is the correct way to fix routing errors on the map when it shows someone turning off the road. And I've been following those instructions. Why in this one thread is everyone going against the documented instructions?
Parking lot landmarks? Where is there documented instructions anywhere about using parking lot landmarks to correct routing errors?
I think maybe he's getting traffic jams confused with routing ;)
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
robc007 wrote:These videos were shown as required viewing the first time I looked at the editor:

I've linked to the part that shows adding a landmark as the best practice.

I've also read this in many places on the website. You might try Googling it.
Yeh, what it's showing there is what I thought....by adding the PL landmark it's supposed to not have an affect on the adjacent road causing a jam if you turn and stop in the PL. There are a lot of innuendos on how to do this but last I heard they do not suppress jams.
razor2k
Send a message

Post by robc007
All the other threads and docs I've read about parking lots say that adding a parking lot is the correct way to fix routing errors on the map when it shows someone turning off the road. And I've been following those instructions. Why in this one thread is everyone going against the documented instructions?
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
These videos were shown as required viewing the first time I looked at the editor:

I've linked to the part that shows adding a landmark as the best practice.

I've also read this in many places on the website. You might try Googling it.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler

Post by robc007
AndyPoms wrote:Those videos are dated April 2012 & they show the old version of the editor. A lot has changed since then.
Then all the new editors are being introduced to obsolete instructions? I can adapt to the guidelines in the forum, they're just hard to find from my point of view.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler