Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Road name is incorrect when spoken, right on the map itself

Post by steveinct
When driving on Cemetery Road, it is pronounced Seminary Road. I cannot find how to initiate a corrected spoken road name. The map shows the correct road name (Cemetery), but the spoken road name (Seminary) has a similar, but incorrect road name:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... =-72.57318

How do I initiate the audio to be corrected?
steveinct

POSTER_ID:15270174

Send a message

Post by TonyG-UK
Abusing DB fields for whatever purpose gets a resounding no!

The correct way is to ask Waze to add additional DB fields for what you need (and yes, I know what the chances of it actually happening are).
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK

Post by sketch
I also tried Iberville St at the link above, which, unlike Waze, pronounces it "Iberville".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
The TTS engine has some crazy ideas. For instance, it pronounces "Iberville" as "d'Iberville", every time.

To my knowledge, Waze has only modified the way it talks to the TTS engine once—to add a pause for every slash—and that took about a year. I wouldn't expect any modifications for relatively small mispronunciations of street names, which are everywhere in every speech engine.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by russblau
I had to chuckle yesterday when Samantha told me to turn on Fre-DEH-Rick Street.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by rdawg1
I live near a highway named Dawsonville Highway and Waze always pronounces it Doranville Highway. It is spelled correctly on the screen.
rdawg1
Send a message

Post by Nacron
This segment

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=12940266

was once misspelled as pealridge and not pearlridge. It was corrected on map but the TTS continues to say peel-ridge. The subsequent segment that contains pearlridge is correctly pronounced.
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE | Samsung S22 Ultra 5G
Waze Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM | West Virginia AM
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 50k_5c.png

Post by Kuhlkatz
davipt wrote:I didn't get your point here. Agreed with the shield types, but my point was about
Not wanting to hijack the thread with discussions about shields, but I'm simply saying an easy way to represent the various shield types for each country as a simple 'value'. The segment street name would still be used as the shield 'value' as that is stored already without duplicating it, hence still free form text and not a fixed number.
Binary 00000000 ( or null ) = No shield. NULL values, contrary to where was elsewhere stated does NOT necessarily occupy additional space for storage, it simply has zero length indicated or is not present, which is why nullable columns are traditionally stored at the END of the data row.
Binary 00000001 (1) = shield type 1, eg. National routes, with a predetermined population method, and specific graphic associated for the generation. ( Nnn ) in my case.
Binary 00000010 (2) = Shield type 2, eg. Metroplitan routes, with it's own style & graphic ( Mnn ) in my case
Binary 00000100 (4) = Shield type 3, Primary routes (Rnn) etc. etc.

In older processors bitwise operations was far faster than comparing two register values or register vs memory value or memory vs memory. Not predominantly the case any more with current processors, but still faster in general if you redo the same thing millions times over. How stuff is represented in a DB does ultimately affect CPU usage when dealing with comparisons from selecting data, and comparing freeform text vs enumerated fields are far more expensive in CPU cycle costs. Freeform tags, if allowed in input data, will likely ultimately be saved as 'dedicated' data anyway where the metadata matches the relevant 'freeform' tags in terms of columnar representation.

Something we do agree on is we have no idea how it's represented in the back-end or what is used for the storage engine(s) and where the various data bits are, so all of this is just speculation.
we also have no idea what Waze has in mind for 'fixing' this.

Please note that we are all entitled to our opinions and views, and can freely air them without having to resort to character attacks on other people just because they don't agree with your viewpoint.

You say it's an easy win to use the Alt Name for Alt tags. I say it's not a good idea to allow freeform tags here as data has to be further disseminated and syntactically checked AFTER entry to add the additional tags in the background, some for the TTS engine, some for the search engines, and some more for shield data. A good design does not need data to be reworked after entry - it uses it optimally in the way it's captured.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing