Post by milkyway35
I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

Could you please add something to explain that highways can go thru a Town ?

Here, the streets definition : Usually for local travel within a town.

Most users think that all Roads inside a town must be set as Primary street even If the road is a Highway. That lead to a non-continuity of the Highway network.
milkyway35
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ

Waze Community Communications Guidelines
As ChiefWazer said :

Code: Select all

"We all work together for a common goal here, we all want Waze to succeed in helping peoples everyday life"

Post by ncc1701v
If a user should turn onto a road signed as "county hwy 11", the instructions will be to turn on to "state route 11"? Huh? What?
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by ncc1701v
To continue with the colon examination, I don't think it works to say "put a colon after the first thing in the name, whatever it is". You don't always get a primary exit target, e.g. "to I-310". Sometimes it's to SR-310 W and SR-94 S, equally. I think it's best to associate the colon with "Exit 34:", or anything equivalent that refers uniquely to the segment, not its destinations.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
If a colon is appropriate there, why not "Exit 34: to I-39 N / US-72 W: Townsville / Babcock"?

Just trying to nail down the rules.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by orbitc
skbun wrote:
sketch wrote:
skbun wrote:US Highways were agreed in the 2012 meetup to be formatted as US-XX. The wiki was never actually changed to reflect this.
I changed it right after the 2012 meetup to reflect this. I don't know why it was changed back.
...hm. Yes. I was also there in person when it was agreed -- again -- that US-XXX would be used, at the 2013 meetup. I'm going to go ahead and "Be bold", and change the naming page (and its state name subpage) to reflect this. This could be easily reverted if necessary, but I'd like to hope we can lay this one to rest.
So, what is that mean for those states there are not using the US-XX model?
We've been told to hold on on changing anything and wait to hear Waze.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Thank you. So, just to confirm; we can start updating according to do wiki which is US-XX?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:So, what is that mean for those states there are not using the US-XX model?
We've been told to hold on on changing anything and wait to hear Waze.
Staff and champs alike came to a consensus. In other words, it's not up to the states and never should have been. Maybe the Wiki wasn't clear enough about this, but that's how it is.
Yes, but it is now proven that decision was based on a lie. The premise was US-xxx would be used to generate the US shield. Why should we break the shields that are working. There is no good reason to change freeways from US Hwy XX to US-XX.
I guess, this means we are continue to wait and not change anything until you guys decide. ;)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
sketch wrote:
CBenson wrote:Yes, but it is now proven that decision was based on a lie. The premise was US-xxx would be used to generate the US shield. Why should we break the shields that are working. There is no good reason to change freeways from US Hwy XX to US-XX.
It was based on the premise that the shields will work with US-xx in the future, which is still true. There is a VERY good reason for changing them — it saves valuable space on the display and in TTS with no real loss.

Changing "I- xx" to "I-xx" broke shields too, but we didn't hesitate so much to do that, because "I- xx" looks like garbage and is a waste of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Is there any update on where we stand on updating NJ? There aren't many working shields. I see here and there. Why not make all uniform and update them. When Waze updates the shields, it should work. Anybody have any objection for us to change them to US-XX? (similar to NY style) Thanks.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:Anybody have any objection for us to change them to US-XX? (similar to NY style) Thanks.
US-xx has been the countrywide standard for a year and a half. Any contrary information was due to either misinterpretation or ignorance of the naming standards somewhere along the line. So yes, you may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thank you. I think the hold up for us (NJ) is due to the shields.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
mapcat wrote: Once you get going on this, please be as complete and thorough as possible. Maps with a bunch of "US Hwy 1"'s randomly scattered among the "US-1"'s look amateurish.

Has anyone investigated getting a mass change done directly to the db, swapping out "US Hwy " for "US-" wherever it still appears?
Yes, it's major task. I will make sure it's done right. I will coordinate with some of the local editors and ask them to help me.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!