This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by dctdye
vectorspace wrote:Wow, I point out that this thread has been silent for a while. Why is that?

It seems like a fundamental definition that Champs/US Champs need to work out for self manamgnet. If we have no categorization of Cone-level and AM/CM level, their abilities and assumed level of maturity of each, then we're all kind of lost.

Where do cone-level and AM/CM overlap?

It's quite a valid complaint that an AM should be able to edit just about everything in their region. I temper that by saying some AMs are rather new and have a lot to learn (I sure did and still do), so not letting AMs adjust level-5 and higher locks makes sense to me.

As a new AM, I can agree to that. It's unfortunate that so many minor highway segments in my area got locked at five (I think sometimes by the editors that locked changing rank) but I can work within the unlock requests when they need fixing.
dctdye
Send a message
Area Manager- Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by dctdye
As an AM, I'm totally OK with interstates being level 5. Anything below that though I need access to especially since major highways are a major thing I am cleaning up in my area at the moment.
dctdye
Send a message

Post by dctdye
CBenson wrote:
daknife wrote:[Freeways do need locks because they really don't change all that much. Most sections of freeway get a major rebuild every 30 or 40 years, during major construction more attention is needed but other times not so much. And leaving them at lev 5 is the safer way to go.
I disagree again. Freeways are frequently changed around here, different signage, new lanes, and major construction where traffic patterns can change weekly.
I fail to see how new lanes matter to Waze, but maybe construction areas are a special consideration worthy of lower lock levels during construction. In most of the US, interstate really doesn't change that much. The few cases however don't outweigh the majority of interstate and it is easier to lower the lock levels of the special cases.
dctdye
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
L2 is IGN. If you don't want L1 editors touching it, you certainly don't want L2's touching it!!
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
It's too bad that IGN still gets L2. They should get L0... as their edits are far worse than even the newest of volunteers. Not to mention, they often lock roads... Which then inadvertently get upgraded when a higher-level editor edited it (using the old lock/unlock toggle).
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
PhantomSoul wrote:From my understanding, the IGNs are contracted for fast problem solving. Unfortunately with that, quality suffers.
Read: quality is non-existent.

One thing to throw out there: while the larger centers seem to have plenty of editors, since gaining CM status for North America, I've noticed that a lot (read: nearly all) of the small towns have nothing more than the basemap import. Sometimes, this doesn't even include street names, let alone directionality and turn restrictions.

One whole province of Canada (Saskatchewan) seems to have had highways designated, but they were unnamed (i.e. no highway number, etc.).

I'm wondering if it isn't practical to allow a level of state-wide access somewhere along the line. This would allow for more experienced (perhaps L4 editors) to get some of these small towns and in-between-cities areas looked after.

Of course, we could separate it altogether from editing rank -- in some cases, I'd see no problem allowing a L3 state-wide privs.

This would serve a couple of purposes -- one, it would allow newer editors to see a natural progression towards AM/CM status. 500k edits is HUGE, and I would never have gotten there (still am not quite there) without CM access.

Two -- it would allow for the in-between parts to get some attention. I don't have the time to scan across even Western Canada on a regular basis to look for URs/MPs.

Just some further ideas with the ranking system.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Jim: you'll also note that L5 no longer comes with automatic CM status. That's now L6 domain (except for those of us who were grandfathered, it seems).

I agree -- this is not a good move, especially for those countries where Waze doesn't have the same mass that it does in the US. We've got *maybe* 10 people over 200k edits in Canada. I don't know that we even have 2 that are over 500k.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
jasonh300 wrote:CM will not be automatic in the US at any level.

Via my iPhone 4S.
Ok, well, it also appears that it's not a consideration until L6 / 500k edits now.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
vectorspace wrote:One question I have been waiting to ask, hoping to not post a second message after myself (oops), is one of bounding concepts. Just what would level-6 be used to lock anyway?

The only thing I can think of is a temporary restraint on vandalism and to resolve conflict between level-5 editors. We really should not lock much at level to encourage broader editing.
One use I saw of it recently was to "close" the collapsed Skagit bridge in Washington state.

One use I foresee is to handle some closures that Waze auto-generated errors keep insisting are incorrect... e.g. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=69192925
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
scruffy151 wrote:I think the auto-locks should be fairly low. For example:
level 1 - streets and lower
level 2 - minor highways and lower
level 3 - freeways (the highest auto-lock)

Higher level locks should not be imposed automatically. They should be reserved for problem areas and should require a case by case decision for their use.
I like this idea -- though I think I'd bump it up by one for the Freeways & Highways.

Level 3 - Highways (M & m)
Level 4 - Freeways & Ramps
doctorkb
Send a message