Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:22 pm

mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.

Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?

In most cases simply mapping the parking lot road in the front of the business will get Waze to direct them there rather than a residential street behind the business. I'd say mapping behind the business should only be used when a parking lot road in front of the business isn't working, as it is likely unneeded and will result in increased routing to the back/side of a business rather than the front.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 pm

CookeCity wrote:We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.

You shouldn't get any MPs if you've mapped all the entrances to the parking lot. Once a user drives onto a parking lot segment, it will suppress MPs if they leave the parking lot segment to drive onto unmapped areas. Ok, occasionally you will get one or two, but those are usually due to the GPS being off/not updating enough, so Waze misses the part where they first drove onto the parking lot segment, before wandering off into the unmapped wildlands of the suburban parking lot.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:41 am

CookeCity wrote:Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.

and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line

With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.

I believe you are talking about the Landmark post? It is referring to drawing in the parking lot landmark, not the parking lot roads.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Ah ok, thanks Andy. Guess I didn't search back far enough in the archives.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 am

Rather than trying to get consensus on landmarks in general. Can we start going down the list of landmarks one by one and seeing if we can get a consensus on whether that type of land mark should be used? With any where its clear there is not a consensus, we move on and mark it to come back to later? I think we can probably knock quite a few out that way and at least be able to add a "Landmark's you should not use in the US" page in the wiki to refer people to while we hammer out the details on the more contentious landmark types.

I haven't read this entire thread (about half of it), so forgive me if this has already happened previously or been decided against.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 am

Just wanted to add to the discussion from a few pages ago.. Add supermarket's to one of the landmarks that turn up when searching.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this. I believe there's another thread somewhere also discussing the best practices for landmarks in the US.

Here's the problem, landmark's entered into Waze do show up on the Waze tab search results (at least some of the time). Waze tries to route you to the middle of the landmark. This is causing problems at Bob Hope Airport in Burbank as it is the first result users see is the Waze tab.
viewtopic.php?f=251&t=53258 (Current discussion)

Now an obvious answer is to delete the private road servicing that one hanger (even through there are GPS tracks showing people are using it), but I think there's still a good chance that Waze will not be directing people to the terminals, but to a nearby closer road.

Is there anything that could or should be done in this case?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby HandofMadness » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 pm

jasonh300 wrote:A gas station landmark will suppress reports there, and would be more correct than a parking lot. However, it was mentioned a week or two ago not to add any gas stations until we got to some point with the gas prices functionality. I'm not sure if that's correct or still the case.

Was that from Waze? I would think it would be okay to add them if you are doing it to suppress traffic and error reports.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 pm

mapcat wrote:In the US there is already a TOTALLY SEPARATE gas station landmark layer that has NOTHING TO DO with the gas stations that may exist as visible landmarks in WME. Please don't add (or delete) any gas stations in WME in the US.

We can't edit the real gas station layer. (Yet.)

What about for automated error suppression? Should I use the parking lot landmark instead, even if the location is a gas station?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:56 pm

The parking lot landmark suppresses auto generated errors for "missing roads" so is used to solve those errors. There's no reason though to cover buildings with it. I don't know that it harms anything other than cluttering up the client map.

:: sits back and waits to be corrected ::
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United States