Landmark - Best Practices US

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby skbun » Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 am

mapcat wrote:I wasn't there, so I don't know the context, but "as much content as possible" does not make a map better. It has the opposite effect.

Yep, definitely. Maybe the thing to keep in mind is that a LANDMARK has a purpose on a map; to assist in orientation and direction in navigation. If it's not doing that, it really doesn't need to be there.

If Waze implements pushpin 'navigate to' spots on the map, the way house numbers will work, a lot of "landmarks" taking up real estate really could go, IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby dctdye » Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 am

I've been editing in Auburn, AL, today and there are a lot of questionable landmarks. I've already deleted some I knew where in error, but thoughts on the landmarks in and around the permalink?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
Area Manager- Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

dctdye

Postby jasonh300 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:10 am

dctdye wrote:I've been editing in Auburn, AL, today and there are a lot of questionable landmarks. I've already deleted some I knew where in error, but thoughts on the landmarks in and around the permalink?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

I wouldn't consider any random elementary school soccer field a "Stadium/Sports Facility". In the tentative guidelines, that designation is reserved for something more like professional or college stadiums. I don't know enough about the area to answer your question, but I would think that most of those should not be landmarked.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:13 am

One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd like to see the quick link to Parking Lots removed from the Landmarks pulldown in the editor. I really don't think Gas Stations needs to be there anymore after the import, but I guess that could be useful for countries where the gas stations have not yet been imported. They're both inviting people to use them improperly now.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby alarlo » Sun May 26, 2013 2:10 pm

If I understand right, other than the those actual parking lots (The that's a public or paid) all other can be deleted?
Like the one next to malls, businesses or schools etc.

Is it OK delete them?

Thanks.
alarlo
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Sun May 26, 2013 3:17 pm

alarlo wrote:If I understand right, other than the those actual parking lots (The that's a public or paid) all other can be deleted?
Like the one next to malls, businesses or schools etc.

Is it OK delete them?

Thanks.

My rule of thumb: if it isn't named, it gets deleted (or named). I don't believe there is a need for any unnamed landmark other than parks and ponds.

Parking lots that get named: ones on a university campus, park & rides, etc.

Mall lots need to go: they are obvious. But the general consensus is that they should just be included in the mall landmark.
Waze Global Champ, Mentor
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby alarlo » Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Thank you
alarlo
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby skbun » Mon May 27, 2013 3:18 am

jasonh300 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd like to see the quick link to Parking Lots removed from the Landmarks pulldown in the editor. I really don't think Gas Stations needs to be there anymore after the import, but I guess that could be useful for countries where the gas stations have not yet been imported. They're both inviting people to use them improperly now.

I'm going to just say 'don't think this is a good idea', here. I have added at least 50 gas stations SINCE the import that are in fact there. Mostly in more rural areas. The third party import was an excellent start, here, but I've solved many 'missing station' URs and added others. Compare notes with Gasbuddy's map sometime; there is still lots of work to do.

On a related note, did Waze fix 'the bug' where newly added stations can't populate price data?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby razor2k » Mon May 27, 2013 4:58 am

jasonh300 wrote:One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd like to see the quick link to Parking Lots removed from the Landmarks pulldown in the editor. I really don't think Gas Stations needs to be there anymore after the import, but I guess that could be useful for countries where the gas stations have not yet been imported. They're both inviting people to use them improperly now.

I would like to see the whole landmarks dropdown revamped. Many options serve no purpose anymore.

It could be so much more simplified.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k

Postby jasonh300 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:26 am

skbun wrote:
On a related note, did Waze fix 'the bug' where newly added stations can't populate price data?

Drawing in a gas station that isn't in the database doesn't do anything but create a useless landmark. I don't know if this is a bug. I think the missing gas stations have to be added from the back end.

Via my iPhone 4S.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States