Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by HandofMadness
CookeCity wrote: Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.
and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line
With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.
I believe you are talking about the Landmark post? It is referring to drawing in the parking lot landmark, not the parking lot roads.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
CookeCity wrote:We are *not* supposed to draw in parking lot landmarks for businesses, and we are *not* supposed to map the individual lanes in a parking lot, which means MPs will be occasionally produced that we are to ignore (marked solved) in these lots as this is a normal consequence of the above guidance.
You shouldn't get any MPs if you've mapped all the entrances to the parking lot. Once a user drives onto a parking lot segment, it will suppress MPs if they leave the parking lot segment to drive onto unmapped areas. Ok, occasionally you will get one or two, but those are usually due to the GPS being off/not updating enough, so Waze misses the part where they first drove onto the parking lot segment, before wandering off into the unmapped wildlands of the suburban parking lot.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
mapcat wrote:
bgodette wrote:Assume you had a PLot segment in front of the store, but not behind, and the pin still being closer to the residential street.
Then the customers of the business would be directed to the loading dock. Whether that's better than the residential street is debatable.

Once internal addressing is activated, and business addresses are properly edited, the need for the back driveway will go away, so why include it in the best practices now?
In most cases simply mapping the parking lot road in the front of the business will get Waze to direct them there rather than a residential street behind the business. I'd say mapping behind the business should only be used when a parking lot road in front of the business isn't working, as it is likely unneeded and will result in increased routing to the back/side of a business rather than the front.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HuckD
daknife wrote:...Thus the need for the national standards to be finalized and published back into the wiki...
This is the only thing that will settle this debate!
HuckD
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I put a paragraph in the Wiki last week about landmarks in general and that they should not overlap roads unless they're part of the landmark, so as not to interfere with traffic jam suppression. It was the only reference to landmarks I could find in the Wiki, and it had nothing in it.

Someone needs to get some info together and put it into that page.
CBenson wrote:Opps, sorry didn't get the warning that I was overposting.
:?:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
A gas station landmark will suppress reports there, and would be more correct than a parking lot. However, it was mentioned a week or two ago not to add any gas stations until we got to some point with the gas prices functionality. I'm not sure if that's correct or still the case.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
No. Just Gas Station and Parking Lot as far as I know.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
McCracken808 wrote:Since there is no specific category for it, what is the best practice for categorizing a golf course? What is the general consensus?
If you really feel that a golf course must be on the map, you should probably use Park, since it will appear green on the client, rather than blue.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
jemay wrote:I have been changing the golf courses from Gas Station to Parks
Yeah...Gas Station would probably be a poor choice for a golf course.

I guess you could also use Stadium.

The only three that really matter are Parking Lots, Gas Stations (traffic suppression) and Parks since they appear in a different color. The rest could all be the same, and nobody would ever know from a functional or cosmetic standpoint.

The vast majority of landmark categories are things that shouldn't ever be on the map and would just be clutter.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
shawndoc wrote: Was that from Waze? I would think it would be okay to add them if you are doing it to suppress traffic and error reports.
Don't know now. That was a behind the scenes thing from a couple of months ago. I think at the time, we thought that the gas prices functionality was going to depend on gas stations being marked as a landmark, but now, I'm pretty sure that the gas price indications are on a separate layer that we can't access, and neither marks the boundaries of the station, nor does it suppress traffic jams.

So I would say that it's safe to put in Gas Station landmarks.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message