Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Post by DragonOfThrones
The concept of giving map editors so much points is really flawed, to me.

I feel it is UNFAIR that map editing account for that much points. There are people who aren't always on their computers, they have a busy(actual) life, and reporting road hazards, police, closures, etc is well enough for their contribution, to help others. Not spending 12/7 on Waze.com map editing to spend that free time.

Obviously, editing map should be a thankful/appreciative task, I do not disagree with this, but maybe getting a honor badge that's called "Major Map Editor" (or something more creative) is suffice rather than give them the MOST points everytime they edit maps, that makes them beat those who actually drive/report traffic to get points..

Most points should ALWAYS BELONG ON THE ROAD, AMONG REAL TRAFFIC, not ever on the computer in a basement, ALONE!
DragonOfThrones

POSTER_ID:15626107

Send a message

Post by Dave2084
I sit in both camps, I've done 427k edits and 73k miles and I find both sides of the Waze coin equally rewarding.

I drop URs all over the UK and then like nothing more than finding them and fixing them ... I wish Waze had a tool where I could find all MY URs, often I have to rely on other editors closing them so I can either a) check their work, b) solve it myself (marked "not identified") or c) PM them for closing the UR and doing nothing (marked "solved" and not fixed).

As for drivers? The current UK #6 is a driver who does a little editing, back in the cartouche days he was #1 and neither of us has changed our Waze habits much. I think this shows that points wise WME rewards editors more than Cartouche did, but that incentive is to make the maps better and having been here since the pre basemap days where we had a blank map it certainly needed it.

Going slightly off topic, it's sad that new users (in the base-mapped countries at least) will never experience the thrill of spending all day paving roads and then a few days later munching miles of cookies on the same roads, that's what got me hooked!
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by dmcconachie
I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
maantje76 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.
Since wme, yes!
Oh definitely. 7500pt candies wouldn't have been enough to compensate for time in cartouche! Remember when 50 hour weeks on Waze only just got you through 10k points? :-\
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by DragonOfThrones
WHY the most points though?

The editors are at home, on a computer. Not on the road, not reports any traffic matters.

I understand map editors are important, but this is ultimately a driving/on the road app, the most points should go that way instead.

This concept is so flawed.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by DragonOfThrones
Which is appreciated, as I said. I just can't agree with it. I feel the most points should go toward people on the road, driving, reporting traffic issues, and not discriminate ALL those people whose lives are busier and just can't afford to spend that much free time on a computer editing maps... where everyone (no matter with the type of personality, life choice) should be getting them equally/fair.

An Honor/special badge should be in it's place instead of points, to recognize such hard work.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by DragonOfThrones
You know this is obviously a clear disadvantage to extroverts, and big advantage to introverts right?

So, I don't see how this is a fair/logical system.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message
Last edited by DragonOfThrones on Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by DragonOfThrones
enhket wrote::?: if i edit 15 hours, it is certainly not fair to get the same amount of points as someone who edits 3 hours.

Getting different levels of badges for the amount of contribution of map editing you make.

Edit 5 = Badge level 1
Edit 10-20 Badge level 2
Edit 30-50 Badge Level 3
Edit 60-120 Badge level 4

Something like this.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by DragonOfThrones
I got no problem that drivers and map editors ranking/points are separate. Leveling up, not majorly dependent on scores such as map editing that would give someone advantage being more introvert.

That's probably much easier to do since you just program a couple codes that subtract the map editor's score, than give special badges to map editors, which would be a lot more work.

If this can be done, it would be fantastic!
DragonOfThrones
Send a message
Last edited by DragonOfThrones on Mon May 27, 2013 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by DragonOfThrones
Also, I certainly don't have a job that pays me to drive, and many don't either. I know there are such jobs, but at least if they get their points, they are on the road driving, not at home on computer which is the issue that bothers me the most.

Either way, I feel points should be distributed in this order (Highest to Lowest)

1) Those who actively report traffic, police, road problems that help others while driving
2) How many miles they drive
3) Map editors (But if you separate these points from driving, then I don't care the points are higher) otherwise it really should not even have that much points, that takes away from real traffic experience.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message