Landmark - Best Practices US

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Landmark - Best Practices US

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm

vectorspace wrote:That's interesting. I thought landmarks would be accessible in a POI search. I read or heard somewhere from Waze that they would like to expand their internal database of search information too.

Some landmarks are searchable and "function" as a POI, but a POI is just that, a "point" and not a space. Waze doesn't have an actual POI database, but something that sort of functions like one.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Shouldn't POI's be points instead of complex polygons, just from a database perspective? Complex polygons are OK for true landmarks, which, by definition, are supposed to be few and far between (i.e., you really should not see 6 different landmarks on a single block of road; most of those things would probably not be actual landmarks then). There's no limit, however, to how many POI's you could have in any given area though.

A landmark is, by definition, prominent. I think one of the things that has to be decided is whether we want to limit landmarks to physical prominence - in other words, does the thing, say, visually stand out from the vast majority of things around it, perhaps for at least a few miles? Or, do we also want to include objects of social prominence as well - like, for example, does everyone - at least in the local area - know where and what the thing is even though it may not stand out visually like a tall building or some other tall structure? This would potentially include businesses with well-known branding along the side of the road. The caveat here, I think, would be that social prominence is far more subjective than physical prominence, making the system more prone to clutter, but we should probably also not forget that the social aspects of Waze are one of its biggest features that make it stand out from all the other cell-phone navigation options out there.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:31 pm

vectorspace wrote:That's interesting. I thought landmarks would be accessible in a POI search. I read or heard somewhere from Waze that they would like to expand their internal database of search information too. Jason's comment a few posts back in this topic seemed to indicate that landmark access in POI search started occurring about three weeks ago (unless I misunderstood). I thought I verified it worked by searching for some of my landmarks (BIA was one when I went there for a meeting).

mike

It only seems to work with certain landmark types. It's being tested right now and we should have results by the end of the week.
jasonh300

Postby vectorspace » Tue May 28, 2013 7:24 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:What's the relationship between landmarks and POI's?

In Waze? There is no relationship because there is no POI database. It's only landmarks, which are, often, being "abused" to input POIs. And "abused" only in the sense that we simply do not have another option.

That's interesting. I thought landmarks would be accessible in a POI search. I read or heard somewhere from Waze that they would like to expand their internal database of search information too. Jason's comment a few posts back in this topic seemed to indicate that landmark access in POI search started occurring about three weeks ago (unless I misunderstood). I thought I verified it worked by searching for some of my landmarks (BIA was one when I went there for a meeting).

mike
vectorspace

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:What's the relationship between landmarks and POI's?

In Waze? There is no relationship because there is no POI database. It's only landmarks, which are, often, being "abused" to input POIs. And "abused" only in the sense that we simply do not have another option.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 pm

What's the relationship between landmarks and POI's? I thought destination searches were done based on addresses or POI's, a separate database from landmarks. Are all landmarks POI's? Just some, perhaps? Are all POI's landmarks? Again, just some, maybe? How can you tell the difference in a not-too-subjective way?
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
skbun wrote:
On a related note, did Waze fix 'the bug' where newly added stations can't populate price data?

Drawing in a gas station that isn't in the database doesn't do anything but create a useless landmark. I don't know if this is a bug. I think the missing gas stations have to be added from the back end.

Via my iPhone 4S.

I found the thing I was looking for, but it doesn't answer the actual question of progress made toward fixing this:

viewtopic.php?p=418161#p418161

Adding stations: Stations which are added to Waze as a new landmark, will not appear in app search results or be updatable until Waze implements some new code and update process on the server side. Go ahead and add stations which do not appear and for which you cannot find an imported station. They will be live in the app once Waze makes their code changes.

This was said about six weeks ago; no word yet though that I've seen.
skbun

Postby vectorspace » Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm

ncc1701v wrote:Landmarks are not just orientation aids, they can be destinations in themselves. When I was on Oahu as a tourist, there were several cases every day where all I knew was the name of a particular park, but I had no idea how to get an address, or even street, for it. I was very grateful that the people there had taken the trouble to map them. The same is true for other "historically significant" places - they are often destinations, and people need to be able to find them without street addresses.

Good ideas. I added them to my prior post list in case it was useful.
vectorspace

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Landmarks are not necessary to be able to search for and navigate to a particular park. In fact, prior to about three weeks ago, a landmark wouldn't even come up in a search.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby ncc1701v » Tue May 28, 2013 12:03 pm

russblau wrote:Second, given what I understand to be the purpose of landmarks, many of these guidelines make no sense. Why is the "historical importance" of a cemetery of any value in deciding whether it is useful to drivers seeking to orient themselves on the road network? Why are parks or schools, which may be located far off a road, more useful for navigation than a store or office building? A McDonald's at a major intersection may be a more useful landmark than a church that is at the end of a long dead-end street and not visible from any other road. Again, what's the reason for these distinctions?

Landmarks are not just orientation aids, they can be destinations in themselves. When I was on Oahu as a tourist, there were several cases every day where all I knew was the name of a particular park, but I had no idea how to get an address, or even street, for it. I was very grateful that the people there had taken the trouble to map them. The same is true for other "historically significant" places - they are often destinations, and people need to be able to find them without street addresses.
ncc1701v

PreviousNext

Return to United States