Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by DragonOfThrones
EVERY single report I've made about cops, road hazard, closures to date has been 100%, truthful, honest. I DO NOT report just to get points, period. I report only to provide accurate help, of road problem that DOES exist 100%, then hopefully I am one of my city, state's TOP contributor! Lie to get points is not attractive to me whatsoever, it makes me feel like a big loser.

I don't know about others, but personally it ain't fair to be doubted on my LIGITMATE contribution.

I barely got thanked for, despite the contribution of these 100% ACCURATE reporting. Well, I DON'T know why or how that is, so the points based on how many thank you has major flaws. What if say, these people made friends with a lot of wazers, and the they are the ones who constantly got each other's back and thank each other? I don't yet have a lot of Wazer friends...

The issue of reporting just to get points probably do exist, I don't doubt that, but I don't do it. The people who do it are those with nothing else better do. I will personally look down on those who game points on Waze... seriously, get a life these people lol!

And, Who isn't to say there aren't map editors edit maps just to game points?

But, I am not sure how to really know though. Even if a user report a cop sighting that cop might not stay in that same spot all day, even if he was actually there. Just because when I drove by and didn't see any cops doesn't mean the previous user who made such report lied, you know.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message
Last edited by DragonOfThrones on Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post by DragonOfThrones
I don't think just putting the most hours in means you should get most points, really. That's a truly flawed thinking!

As I repeatedly said, it's a matter of LIFESTYLE more than anything. Some people's lifestyle wish to rather spent it on socialing activities, or adventures outdoors than spending time on a computer editing maps.

How is that fair, when people who has the introverted personality, rather spent time alone on computer editing maps obviously has an advantage over extroverted personalities, gets the points that these others wouldn't be able to get?

I do actually have a very active lifestyle, which is why I USE waze all the time when I go out, and report whenever I can, but I am at a disadvantage clearly compared to those sit behind computer all the time editing these maps, you know?

Helping the community comes from ALL angles, not from certain ways some people has apparent advantage over others because their lifestyle difference gives them that advantage! Think about it more, how is this fair to those who has more active lifestyle outdoors?

I just disagree! :(
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by enhket
:?: if i edit 15 hours, it is certainly not fair to get the same amount of points as someone who edits 3 hours.
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by enhket
You want us to do your homework?
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by Ericular
Can't we all just be on the same team, working towards the same end result of producing the best navigation app out there?

I imagine a world where every driver used Waze. The ultimate realization of "perfected" navigation. Every road has accurate, live speed data, routing is efficient, destination arrival times are dead-on. So then I think - how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports? In my very limited frame of reference, I think new users in my area will experience (and be turned off by) map issues more often than lack of live data and incident reports. Perhaps this is why the points scales are tilted a bit towards editors vs. drivers.

That said, we all need each other, right? Drivers would be lost (literally) without the millions of edits made by dedicated editors over the years. Editors benefit from user reports, automatically identified map errors, GPS tracks, road paving, etc. Drivers also provide incentive. I edit roads I've never driven and never will, in the hopes that I can help someone else have a good experience. If I was the only driver using the data, I wouldn't bother with those roads.

Can't we all just get along? :mrgreen:
Ericular
Send a message
Refining Minnesota's 86,939 square miles, one at a time!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Google Nexus 4 | Android 4.2.2

Post by floppyrod84
dmcconachie wrote:
maantje76 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.
Since wme, yes!
Oh definitely. 7500pt candies wouldn't have been enough to compensate for time in cartouche! Remember when 50 hour weeks on Waze only just got you through 10k points? :-\
All too well. Mainly the reason why I'm so far behind. That and I have a life ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
My off-topic thought:
Ericular wrote:... how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports?
Since my beginning with Waze, my opinion was always that Waze will never be able to make a real breakthrough, until the client will be able to calculate a decent route in offline mode, off course including the knowledge of such trivialities like house numbers and POIs. While being a useful and appealing navi, it could convince high percentage of its users or testers to make use of its wonderful online features. Otherwise, it will possibly never spread itself out of the most populated metropolitan areas.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by fvwazing
Given that there are 99 drivers to 1 editor, given that all editors work in their spare time and half the drivers are paid (by their boss) to drive 8h per day anyway, there can be no doubt who contributes most to the Waze ecosystem.

Oh, and the internets provide ample opportunity for EXTRAVERTS to compete for attention. Leave Waze-editing to the rest, please. Still, I wished that drivers could get their own scoreboard so that they can compare their measly gains among themselves.

Sheesh.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by harling
Frankly, I don't get what the big deal is about points.

What do points do for drivers: Bragging rights about who has driven the most miles with Waze? Hazard reports and "not there" feedback given more credence than those of a brand-new Wazer?

For editors, it is related to the size of the area in which they are allowed to do (unpaid) work for Waze. As for credibility among other editors (e.g., on the forums): one's points score is a less reliable indicator than it used to be. These days an editor's reputation is established in the forum, not on the scoreboard.

As for experienced editors "racking up points": many of us earned our stripes on the previous editor, which allowed only one edit per save. These days, racking up points very quickly gets you extra scrutiny by CMs, to make sure you aren't making useless edits for points.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
razor2k wrote:From what I see, only CM's say "I don't get what the big deal is about points". When someone can be a member (and I use that term loosely) of the 700k club in 10 months (not you), obviously extra scrutiny is not part of that equation...
Oh yes, if you are a relatively unknown editor cranking out 100K points per week, you absolutely do get extra scrutiny. On more than one occasion, editors have been demoted or even banned from editing because we found that they were making thousands upon thousands of useless (or damaging) edits to drive up their scores. In other cases, their work has turned out to be genuine, and they evidently have a lot of time to devote to the task.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.