Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Impossible Points

Post by SomersBoy
My commute is about 100 miles a day and I get about 500 points per day at 5 points per mile. How is it that some people get over 55,000 points in one day? They'd have to travel 11,000 miles to get that many points. I don't believe that map editing could or should account for that many points in one day. The only way one could accumulate that many points is to fly and I believe that is not in the spirit of what Waze is or should be about. There should be a limit on the number of points that one can accumulate in a day. 1200 miles in a day is really approaching the maximum that one could expect of a driver which translates to 6,000 points.

I have fun watching my level progress but it isn't really fair to compete against someone that is apparently carrying his Waze device on a plane.

SomersBoy
SomersBoy

POSTER_ID:12280354

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Other sources of points. Enter " points" into the quick help box on the support page.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Daknife
It's not easy to get 50K in a day but it is far easier to get points editing. You mentioned driving 100 miles and getting 500 points, a good editor in an area that needs a lot of work can get that many points in a matter of minutes. The reason for this is that driving contributes traffic data to the system, but editing makes the maps useable. Most long term users can share stories of how when they started the roads in their area were a mess and routing was a joke with even basic routes resulting in crazy zigzag routes through neighborhoods.

Now as to Alan's short answer this question has been asked many times and answered many times. And answers are found not only here in the forums but also in the Wiki.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by davidg666
porubcan wrote:I think you still not get that by having active editors in your country they constantly improve map for you. Without their contribution you would not be able to contribute to Waze at all and waze community would never grow. So anyone should be happy that there are individuals spending dozens hours each week to make map up to date. Editors are very valuable assets for Waze.
Not just that, but many countries (such as Ireland, but there are many others) never had a base map as a starting point and so every single road has been created from scratch by hand by volunteer editors. That's an awful lot of work - here we mostly just have the major cities mapped (mostly) completely; there are vast areas of the country that just have the main highways passing through them, and all lesser roads missing, and towns in those areas also missing.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by DragonOfThrones
I also agree it is UNFAIR that map editing account for that much points. There are people who aren't always on their computers, they have a busy(actual) life, and reporting road hazards, police, etc is enough for their life. Not spending 12/7 on Waze.com map editing to spend that time.

Obviously, editing map should be a thankful/appreciative task, I do agree with this, but maybe getting a honor badge that's called "Major Map Editor" (or something more creative) is suffice rather than give them the MOST points everytime they edit maps, that makes them beat those who actually drive/report traffic to get points..

Most points should BELONG ON THE ROAD, not ever on the computer in a basement!
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by DragonOfThrones
I didn't say they don't report, I just think they shouldn't get more points from editing maps.
DragonOfThrones
Send a message

Post by enhket
what makes you think that top editors don't report things on the app?
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by mpawlicki
DragonDon wrote:I also agree it is UNFAIR that map editing account for that much points. There are people who aren't always on their computers, they have a busy(actual) life, and reporting road hazards, police, etc is enough for their life. Not spending 12/7 on Waze.com map editing to spend that time.

Obviously, editing map should be a thankful/appreciative task, I do agree with this, but maybe getting a honor badge that's called "Major Map Editor" (or something more creative) is suffice rather than give them the MOST points everytime they edit maps, that makes them beat those who actually drive/report traffic to get points..

Most points should BELONG ON THE ROAD, not ever on the computer in a basement!
What makes you think that editors don't have a life? I have a family and live a very social life. I'm just lucky to be able to do all edits at work :)

I disagree that most points should belong on the road. If it weren't for the editors, there would be no roads. The editors make the best experience for the drivers, in general. Taking this point further - no people get in a car and start driving around town just to get points. They drive because they need to. They go to work, store, whatever, and they turn the gps on. The editors, however, do take time from their work or personal lives to contribute. Shouldn't that be rewarded at a higher rate?

But I understand your point too, as we all were there when we started. My motivation to start editing was points. I think there should be a separate ranking and point scoring system for just the drivers. You can already see your stats per state, per country, and compare to your Facebook friends. It would be nice to have a separate rating for just driving.

I also always thought that reporting of hazards in the client could be more robust. For example, I keep seeing reports for things that are hardly hazards, like rain, or that car that is sitting way in the grass (and you could park 2 more cars side by side before they actually touch the shoulder), multiple reports of the same hazard, etc... Seems like every driver wants some points for the same hazard. Maybe they should be awarded partial points for confirming other driver's hazards?

Anyway, just want to let you know as well, editing isn't all that easy task either. Sometimes we need to do extensive research for given roads and situations, sometimes we can't understand user reports, sometimes we make mistakes and take heat, sometimes we need to consult others, sometimes we need to compare maps to 2-3 other maps, sometimes we fight new editors that do weird stuff, etc, etc. And sometimes my wrist hurts like hell.

Being said, back to editing... :)
mpawlicki
Send a message

Post by porubcan
I think you still not get that by having active editors in your country they constantly improve map for you. Without their contribution you would not be able to contribute to Waze at all and waze community would never grow. So anyone should be happy that there are individuals spending dozens hours each week to make map up to date. Editors are very valuable assets for Waze.

On top contribution of 10-15 miles of daily commute will probably not get you highest ranks as there are other users (aside editors) driving a lot more. I do drive a lot, more than average user, like 40000 km per year and I'm really happy that many editors do care about map and constantly improve it. With better map user (driver) community grows, resulting in better data for routing servers and better report's coverage.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 00k_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... onster.png
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Waze Beta Tester