Road Naming (USA)

Post by skbun
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA) is ridiculously out of date knowing what we know now about US shield generation, and what has been agreed upon at this and previous meetups about naming conventions. Suggestions:

* All references to names being tied to shields be removed, and in fact, that we be clear about the following: We know now from Waze itself that US shields come from a magic hidden property on a segment we are currently unable to edit. They are working on a worldwide standard for producing and editing shields; it just so happens that the US got some 'early' because of a basemap import. Where they work, great; where they don't, we can't fix it until they add functionality to the editor.

That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.

US Highways were agreed in the 2012 meetup to be formatted as US-XX. The wiki was never actually changed to reflect this.

Interstates are I-XX (no space).

State routes should be SR-XX for brevity and consistency, except in states where it is specifically done otherwise (the LA case for example).

County roads should be CR-XX, again, for brevity and consistency, and as the only TTS abbreviation in the system at this time.

This gives us a baseline, a simple standard, and we can slowly spread out with exceptions, from there.

Reasonable?
skbun

POSTER_ID:7245685

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed page link
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by skbun
kentsmith9 wrote:
vectorspace wrote:With the knowledge expressed in this forum so far, are we going to a state-by-state naming convention?
I believe that is a true statement. The justification for that was because the current method is identified in the Wiki we are proposing a pretty significant change with wide-reaching implications. For that reason, if a particular state's primary editors believe the short convention (or even some alternate convention) is desired, then they can post that proposal and with consensus make the change.
Interesting if true...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_hig ... ted_States

The majority of states have county highways, as they have unincorporated areas that are not part of any municipality. Some states, like Virginia and North Carolina, have no county highways in most of their counties; the state government maintains all roads in unincorporated areas. Others, like Connecticut, have no county routes because there is no government at the county level. Alaska does not have counties; Louisiana's county equivalents are parishes, and, accordingly, have parish routes.

It appears that lacking further evidence, the correct answer for 'North Carolina county roads may be 'N/A'. They don't exist. From what I've been able to glean myself, you see state routes, and you see named roads with street names, but no designation by themselves.
skbun
Send a message

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by skbun
kentsmith9 wrote:skbun, at the 2013 meetup we did discuss this and we did make two conclusions. 1) We know shields are still working in some areas and not in others. Waze is unsure why this is happening, but would look into it. 2) Waze was going to work on an interim step on shield generation to give us the ability to link the shield to the primary name at a minimum. They might be able to link it to secondary name, but they have a bigger project for the final solution.

That being said we have other thread discussing the renaming to the shortened names including the ones you have listed below. I am a big supporter of that shortened naming, but we all agreed to not make any major changes until we heard from Waze on the shield generation.

(Full Disclosure: this morning before you posted this I made an edit to the above wiki page to remove a note that we do not name US Highways as "US-xx" because that is untrue in much of the country.)
Likely right on all counts here. Basically I wanted to get this discussion going now that we're back home, but it was pointed out that there's another thread about this that I probably missed. If it belongs there, this could be pointed in that direction instead? I'm not suggesting an immediate change to the Wiki (or heck, I would have just edited it, right?), but to get us started in that direction.

I'm going to look into the specifics of shields over the next few days to see what I can learn, myself.
skbun
Send a message

Post by skapur1
HavanaDay wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I sent a PM to Skapur1 to comment in this thread on an edit made to the Road Naming by State page in the Wiki Saturday. The change was for North Carolina from the current standard to:

State Hwy = NC XXX
County Hwy = SR XXX

Reason given: County roads are maintained by the state DOT in North Carolina.

I believe changing this page of the Wiki requires consensus with the other state editors. Unilateral changes should not be done without some discussion here or a notation that conversations have taken place with the other editors.
He is correct in his assumption about the reason he changed it but I don't think we have ever discussed it publicly. The last discussion I had about Road Naming in North Carolina was with FrisbeeDog privately and we were waiting to see how the shield implementation was going to pan out. I do remember one of our concerns was for the shields going away at the time if we changed it to NC-XX. So we kinda of tabled it for public discussion.

Personally, I like the NC-XX. I did a little experiment with it a while ago and the TTS was pronouncing it correctly (ie NC XX). But we could have gotten lucky with our state abbreviation. I believe others have run into issues with other state abbreviations so haven't pushed the issue.
I should have been clearer.

In North Carolina, SR does not mean State Route but Secondary Road.

See https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/saf ... -20_mm.pdf for a defintion from the NC DOT. NC-xxx numbers are unique statewide. SR-xxxx numbers are unique only within a county.
skapur1
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
kentsmith9 wrote:In my area all the interstates are "I-5" and not just "5" in purple. The US Routes were renamed to "US-101" and appear as "US-101" in purple, not "101". State Route 84 was renamed to "SR-84" and appear that way in purple. Where do you see just numbers?
In my area I have noticed it anywhere the shields are working. If the shield is broken then I get I-20 or US-49.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
This thread should be locked due to age. Perhaps we can rename it to include "2013" in the name?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by orbitc
2 great points. Thank you.
I'm going to make a list first. Then tackle it that way. This way, I didn't miss any.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
NJ shields are very sporadic but I'm not in a hurry to do anything until I have a game plan. I need to make sure I can do this right. I already asked few NJ editors to help.

In addition, I cannot change/update NJ wiki right now.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
sketch wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but it seems like the right kind of idea. Permalinks for every segment? That I don't understand.

What would be nice is a spreadsheet list of all US highways, with a column for each state. Each non-empty cell would show Incomplete, In progress, or Complete, for each US highway per-state. I may be able to build it tomorrow night.

That way, each user could take on the task of converting the US highways one at a time. I've actually recently begun doing so on US-460 in southwest Virginia. This would allow us all to keep track of our progress together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
No, not each segment but multiple segments. 10 or 15 at a time perhaps. This way I know I did them all.
As far as the spread sheet. I like the idea. :) I was thinking of putting on wiki for NJ. This way I will have all the US Highways within NJ. As they are completed I would update wiki for all to see. Other editors in NJ can contribute and update the same wiki as well.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Updating the names will take a while to do this and I would like to do this right. So, I have a plan...
I will go and make few folders with corresponding US routes, than I will put permalinks of each segment of that route. Once one is complete. Do the same for the others. Once they are all done. I can start executing it. Of course that will take time but this way very little interruption or mess.
What do you think?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!