Request for police.

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Request for police.

Postby Riamus » Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Although I know there's enough opposition to it to likely not matter, my personal thought on moving police is this...

Allow adding moving police using another icon specific to moving police or an option in the current police interface. When added, you can select your current road or a close cross street and the direction the police car is going. Waze then shows a half circle overlay (not a point) that give an idea of where the police may be. This stays visible for 5 or 10 minutes. The half circle option lets you see where the officer may be so you know to be careful if you're in the area. The limited time of display will keep it from becoming too much on the map at a given time. Something can easily be done to manage overlaps when multiple people mark police in a small area. And the half circle overlay could be changed to overlay only the roads rather than an actual half circle. The size of the half circle or road overlay should be around the distance that can be travelled at the average speed for the area in the 5 or 10 minutes that it will remain on the map. For users who may be overwhelmed by this kind of overlay due to too many wazers in the area could be allowed to turn the layer off.

I know that's a break from the way the rest of the notifications display, but it offers considerable value even when you show it only for a short time. I know a police car may double back and then be outside of the area marked, but that would be uncommon and once another wazer found them, they'd show up in that direction.

Like I said, I wouldn't expect anything like that to happen because there seems to be a lot of dislike for any option of showing moving police, but it would likely work fairly well with some tweaking.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Re: Request for police.

Postby Riamus » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With the number of posts of people b*tching about Waze prompting them about things way too often and being an unsafe application because you have to tap the screen too much when driving,

With regard to that, Waze could easily change how it displays warnings so that it isn't as much of a distraction. Adjust the position of the warning (to the top or to the side) so that it does not block any routing, for example. You could display it the same as how it shows when you arrive at your destination as a bar across the top and then stick your buttons on the bar. If popups are a distraction, then I think those should be a feature that Waze needs to work on as a priority. Not only can they change the popups without all that much work, but if it's distracting drivers, then it's a danger that should be resolved as soon as possible. Automatic popups should never cover your routing, and when not routing, they should never cover the street you are currently on and should not cover at least a short section of any nearby intersections (so you know the intersection is there). You should always have a clear view of where you are going. It's one thing for a manual popup, such as adding a hazard; it's something else entirely for automatic popups to appear in the way.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Previous

Return to Waze App Feature Requests