Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby DarkAudit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 am

I'm still only getting one route to and from work. Looks like a whole lot of connections were missing from the other route (not to mention editing two one-way roads back to a single two-way.)

What I've found is I'll edit a bit, and the route will get closer to matching what I know are really the best ways in. But then after a little more tweaking of the map, the route will go haywire for days until the new edits propagate to the client.

Is this case, there's no point in taking the route Waze gives me, because it's so wrong as to double the length of my trip.
Area Manager - Morgantown, WV
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

So tell me what it really is. It doesn't matter what's going on on my route if the route is bunk to start with. And that starts with a map that is reasonably accurate. It's taken days of corrections to get Waze to finally reflect the reality of the neighborhood roads.

Then there's the one I cannot possibly begin to explain. On a drive to Pittsburgh, Waze wants me to exit I-79 at Waynesburg, immediately get back on the interstate going the opposite direction, then make a u-turn at the next emergency access to continue north again. Enough trips north should fix that (yes?) but how did that one come to be in the first place? :)
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 am

I'll tell you again. Because those streets Waze wants me to take do not exist. Those are houses and yards there, not roads. Some of the other roads it wants me to use are no more than goat paths. If Waze is obviously wrong, I am not going to be an enabler and use a wrong and possibly dangerous route.

There are maybe a dozen Waze users in this town. The map is barely filled in, so it's looking more likely that the map started out this wrong. Didn't anybody think to check the Waze map against some others first before taking the thing live?
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 am

No way in hell am I going to "do what Waze tells me to." I can't afford the car repairs and legal fees after I try to drive on roads Waze insists are there, but are really someone's yard.

It's up to Waze to figure out that I have to turn *here*, since I can't go anywhere else. Even after the map's been corrected, it takes nearly a week for the client to get the updates.

The routes have actually gotten worse now that Waze has compiled some of my drives. Since I'm the only one in my neighborhood using it, it's decided that a few of my streets are now one way since that's the only direction I've gone on them. And now that I've found that out, it'll be *another* week before those corrections are picked up.

I'd like to know where Waze got it's original maps of Morgantown & Westover, WV, because they don't come anywhere close to reality at the residential level. I keep getting sent down streets that have been dead ends for over 50 years.
DarkAudit

Postby dandv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am

Shorty-CM wrote:It does take some patience to see some meaningful results.

I drove down a specific road at least 4 times in each direction, in different days, and after a week, the road still shows as un-munched.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby curtwitt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 am

I am having several problems with Waze learning Navigation. First, I drive one way to work and a different way home due to traffic issues. I have had Waze on for two times in each direction. I have asked it to find me a route home and it finds an extremely out of the way third route. When I leave that on and then drive my usual way, it reroutes me each time I diverge from the track but it still tries everything to get me on its originally suggested route including sending me backtracking for a mile to avoid a road I have already travelled with it on.

The other problem is that I have avoided an intersection on the map near my house because it does not actually exist. I have always driven a different way when I have had waze on. I have reported the mistake in the road in question and even received a response that it has been corrected. However, Waze still continues to suggest I use that road on my route home.

There are other issues but those are the highlights. Thanks for any insight.
curtwitt

Postby capt996 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 am

i have routing options to my house that seem to never change. the route takes me almost a mile past a street to my house and then does a u-turn to get back. i have driven the correct route at least 40 times and it still routes way out of the way for no reason. all it needs to do is make a left turn at one street and it is there, but instead it continues down the main road for a mile and then does the "u"ie.
capt996

Postby bgodette » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 am

jasonm128 wrote:
ramik79 wrote:I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s

I'm not a Waze developer so all I know about this feature is what's in the tip video. :) However, you might want to double-check the turn restrictions on your preferred route, especially near the area where it tells you to take a different path. I have had cases before where Waze stubbornly refused to use a path that I thought should be faster and it usually wound up being a bad turn restriction that prevents Waze from going the faster way. I imagine that a disallowed turn would probably take precedence over your preference.
I've had to do the same thing. There's several common routes I take to various places and Waze wouldn't give the logical route until after I've checked *everything* along the route and any changes propagated to the live map. Now that nearly all the realistic route alternatives for my daily commute and common destinations are fixed up, I'm getting useful re-routing from traffic conditions.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 pm

What is more curious, is that in the Live Map, it picks the correct route, but in the iPhone client, it sends me off on side streets no matter how many times I drive the same route that Live Map shows, or no matter that the map editor doesn't show any map problems.

For whatever reason, the client wants me to turn right onto a side street, and the only way I can keep that from happening in the client is to disable the right turn in the map editor. After it propagates to the client map in a few days, the client now picks the correct route. Good for me, but bad for anyone whose destination is on the side street!
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:54 am

Reference my post on 23-Nov-10, I have confirmed Waze does NOT learn my preferred routes.
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing