Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 am

No way in hell am I going to "do what Waze tells me to." I can't afford the car repairs and legal fees after I try to drive on roads Waze insists are there, but are really someone's yard.

It's up to Waze to figure out that I have to turn *here*, since I can't go anywhere else. Even after the map's been corrected, it takes nearly a week for the client to get the updates.

The routes have actually gotten worse now that Waze has compiled some of my drives. Since I'm the only one in my neighborhood using it, it's decided that a few of my streets are now one way since that's the only direction I've gone on them. And now that I've found that out, it'll be *another* week before those corrections are picked up.

I'd like to know where Waze got it's original maps of Morgantown & Westover, WV, because they don't come anywhere close to reality at the residential level. I keep getting sent down streets that have been dead ends for over 50 years.
Area Manager - Morgantown, WV
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 am

I'll tell you again. Because those streets Waze wants me to take do not exist. Those are houses and yards there, not roads. Some of the other roads it wants me to use are no more than goat paths. If Waze is obviously wrong, I am not going to be an enabler and use a wrong and possibly dangerous route.

There are maybe a dozen Waze users in this town. The map is barely filled in, so it's looking more likely that the map started out this wrong. Didn't anybody think to check the Waze map against some others first before taking the thing live?
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

So tell me what it really is. It doesn't matter what's going on on my route if the route is bunk to start with. And that starts with a map that is reasonably accurate. It's taken days of corrections to get Waze to finally reflect the reality of the neighborhood roads.

Then there's the one I cannot possibly begin to explain. On a drive to Pittsburgh, Waze wants me to exit I-79 at Waynesburg, immediately get back on the interstate going the opposite direction, then make a u-turn at the next emergency access to continue north again. Enough trips north should fix that (yes?) but how did that one come to be in the first place? :)
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 am

I'm still only getting one route to and from work. Looks like a whole lot of connections were missing from the other route (not to mention editing two one-way roads back to a single two-way.)

What I've found is I'll edit a bit, and the route will get closer to matching what I know are really the best ways in. But then after a little more tweaking of the map, the route will go haywire for days until the new edits propagate to the client.

Is this case, there's no point in taking the route Waze gives me, because it's so wrong as to double the length of my trip.
DarkAudit

Postby DarkAudit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:10 am

dmcconachie wrote:It learns frequent destinations rather then preferred routes. There are many reasons why it might continuously direct you a route other than what you might expect!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

What it's doing is sending me on a roundabout path to a point in the middle of the route, and from that point it's the same route I usually take. If I hadn't replaced the ramp in the map with a street (which is what it really is), it would be giving me more or less exactly the route I always take. It's just a matter of my corrections finally making their way to the routing server. There's no point in making me go a mile or two out of my way to get to a point I'm just 100yds or so from, or even make a u-turn when I'm within sight of my destination to go back to my starting point. That's what's happens as I wait for the edits to get through.
DarkAudit

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:39 pm

A bug is an unintended and unexpected error in the way a program works. What is being described here is exactly the way waze was designed!

It is free because we as users accept the responsibility of building the maps and/or teaching the server! There is no magical way for them to know what is the best route until the alternatives have been traversed! This is the challenge to begin with but once it starts to learn, its power is immense!

I would encourage you to try and demonstrate to us the route it advises as well as the route you, as the experienced party, would take. Between us we can work out why they differ!

dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 am

It learns frequent destinations rather then preferred routes. There are many reasons why it might continuously direct you a route other than what you might expect!

Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Can't remember the majority of this thread but that's wrong with 3 options in the settings... "On", "Off", "Always ask"
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Just a popup when you select "On" or "Always ask" then presumably - would have thought that would be one of the easier fixes required!
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

In that case you're spot on! ;)
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

PreviousNext