Recalculating Route Ruins Waze

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Recalculating Route Ruins Waze

Postby northernpenguin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm

RallyChris wrote:
northernpenguin wrote:My only issue is that the recalculating action causes the app to miss cupcakes and / or road munching when I run on the iPhone.

The road may not appear munched, but the actual points from doing so are done when the server analyzes your route in post processing. If the GPS is not so far off, that post processing can't figure out what road you were on, you got the points.

The cupcakes issue, maybe so, but it has also been found that gps inaccuracy can cause missing cupcakes, even when the snap to function of the phone put's you over one.

My experience so far has been *every* time I turn to get a cupcake (or pumpkin/ghost) that's a block or two over from my current route, the recalc causes me to miss the goodie, 100% of the time. If I turn of the routing and go around the block again, I get the credit for the goodie.

Note this is taking place in rural areas, where the nearest road running parallel is a good 2 kilometers away.

My interim solution has been simply to not use Waze for automatic routing.
GPS is normally quite reliable for me ( within 5-10 metres) when geocaching - and I dashboard mount it so I'm quite certain it's not an accuracy issue. iPhone 4.
northernpenguin

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

RallyChris wrote:Note that the built in search on the forum is useless. The common word filter is on, and it's basically removed all the words anyone would search on.
True! Searched on a username in combination with 'login' 'button' and those where too common. :roll:
BrutusNL

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:56 pm

jaimevisser wrote:Damn, opened a topic on this yesterday! People need to use search more!!

Note that the built in search on the forum is useless. The common word filter is on, and it's basically removed all the words anyone would search on. So unless people use the google search workaround
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Sear ... mmon_words they will have a hard time finding previous conversations.
RallyChris

Postby jaimevisser » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am

Damn, opened a topic on this yesterday! People need to use search more!

I also opened a request on user voice so vote on it if you agree!
jaimevisser

Postby RallyChris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm

northernpenguin wrote:My only issue is that the recalculating action causes the app to miss cupcakes and / or road munching when I run on the iPhone.

The road may not appear munched, but the actual points from doing so are done when the server analyzes your route in post processing. If the GPS is not so far off, that post processing can't figure out what road you were on, you got the points.

The cupcakes issue, maybe so, but it has also been found that gps inaccuracy can cause missing cupcakes, even when the snap to function of the phone put's you over one.
RallyChris

Postby northernpenguin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:17 pm

My only issue is that the recalculating action causes the app to miss cupcakes and / or road munching when I run on the iPhone.
northernpenguin

Postby overnow » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I've been having those same recalculating problems for months. I have an htc touch pro on uscc, running windows mobile, and none of my other GPS programs (Bing, Google Maps) have this problem. I've tried to reinstall the stock rom and that didn't fix anything.
overnow

Postby fdbryant3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:25 am

cobra wrote:What area are you in? It shouldn't recalculate unless you leave the route it set. Is this happening? If the maps in your area are very inconsistent, then that will cause it to re-calc a lot.

There does seem to be a bug in the re-calc, as you mention. I see it happen also. I'm not sure if it fails to re-calc the route, and then stops displaying routing, or if the server connection fails and it stops displaying the routing, but it does sometimes seem to just go away without any notification in this case.

I'm in the Jacksonville/Northeast FL area. For me it is constantly recalculating the routes every few hundred yards or so. Even when there isn't a turn to be made. Heck I've started a route at stop light, drive straight and within 50' it will recalc. I don't how well the roads are actually mapped out around here but for most roads I travel there are no opportunities for dot munching.

Again for it isn't so much that it is recalculating than it is that the route disappears if the server times out.

I love the concept behind Waze but if I want to get anywhere I have to use something else.

Oh yeah for what it is worth I'm using a Touch Pro with a WinMo 6.5.5 ROM on MetroPCS. I am using the latest beta of Waze.
fdbryant3

Postby Ayindi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Just want to add that recalculating puts a big fat black sign above the map that it recalculates... (at least on Android) Great feature to block my view to the map when I actually need to find my direction manually... :D
Ayindi

Postby cobra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:11 pm

What area are you in? It shouldn't recalculate unless you leave the route it set. Is this happening? If the maps in your area are very inconsistent, then that will cause it to re-calc a lot.

There does seem to be a bug in the re-calc, as you mention. I see it happen also. I'm not sure if it fails to re-calc the route, and then stops displaying routing, or if the server connection fails and it stops displaying the routing, but it does sometimes seem to just go away without any notification in this case.
cobra

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General