Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jwriddle
Can the USA Landmark thread be pinned\stickied (if not already)?
jwriddle
Send a message
iPhone 4 (VZW) • iOS 6.1.3 • Waze 3.7.3.0
Droid Mini (VZW) • Android 4.2.2 • Waze 3.7.3.0
[img]https:///NvxDK[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Jay W. RiddleArea Manager
US | Georgia: North Atlanta

Post by kentsmith9
Are we saying that all landmarks suppress slow traffic reports?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
TruckOttr wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unfortunately, it isn't repositionable, and it seems to try to computer the geometric center of the landmark, but how it arrives at that is often a mystery.
It's a centroid of the polygon formed by the landmark. It helps when determining if a landmark is visible or not, when it should be drawn and in what detail. It's not ideal for use as the navigation point for a landmark. Typically one would use one of the polygon edges and navigate to that edge.

The use of centroids is one of the reasons that Waze will sometimes route you to the backside of an address vs. the street that the address is on.
Actually the center of the landmark is simply the center of the max X-distance and max Y-distance covered by the polygon.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
shawndoc wrote:
CookeCity wrote: Which is why I am confused...what you say makes sense to me...but in the Landmark Guidelines it states:
Please note that parking lots at businesses are not mapped.
and that the only parking lots that should be mapped are:
Park & Ride/Commuter Lots are mapped at the fence line
With the mapping of pay parking lots under consideration.
I believe you are talking about the Landmark post? It is referring to drawing in the parking lot landmark, not the parking lot roads.
Yes that is a landmark guideline, not the roads in the lots. I will make that distinction (once we get around to adding the damn thing in the wiki). :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kthejoker20
It would help to update the wiki.

I'd rather not read through 11 pages of the thread.

I agree there needs to be a clear standard.
kthejoker20
Send a message

Post by mapcat
In the US there is already a TOTALLY SEPARATE gas station landmark layer that has NOTHING TO DO with the gas stations that may exist as visible landmarks in WME. Please don't add (or delete) any gas stations in WME in the US.

We can't edit the real gas station layer. (Yet.)
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
As far as I can tell, Waze no longer routes to landmarks in its own database. It will use an external provider (since most landmarks were never added) and use its roads to get to that place.

The only reasons to add landmarks (besides gas stations in other countries) are to make them visible in the client, and in the case of parking lots, to suppress traffic.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
shawndoc wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:A gas station landmark will suppress reports there, and would be more correct than a parking lot. However, it was mentioned a week or two ago not to add any gas stations until we got to some point with the gas prices functionality. I'm not sure if that's correct or still the case.
Was that from Waze? I would think it would be okay to add them if you are doing it to suppress traffic and error reports.
We don't know how the gas stations in the hidden layer and the ones in the landmarks layer affect each other (if at all). It may be that the ones in the hidden layer actually suppress reports, and if so, it would be a waste of time to add them to the landmarks layer. We don't know if they intend to merge the two layers at some time. If they do, we'll have duplicates to delete. Since we don't have answers, because no one answers our questions, I err on the side of doing less work.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
vectorspace wrote:I keep going back to the Meetup 2013 where Ehud said he wanted as much content as possible to make the map better.
I wasn't there, so I don't know the context, but "as much content as possible" does not make a map better. It has the opposite effect.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
PhantomSoul wrote:Shouldn't POI's be points instead of complex polygons, just from a database perspective?
Absolutely. But the devs haven't provided a way to create anything like this yet. I've asked; no response.
Complex polygons are OK for true landmarks, which, by definition, are supposed to be few and far between (i.e., you really should not see 6 different landmarks on a single block of road; most of those things would probably not be actual landmarks then). There's no limit, however, to how many POI's you could have in any given area though.
Very good point, and a good argument for not establishing any sort of "best practices" until it's been decided whether or not point symbols for POIs are forthcoming.
mapcat
Send a message