Waze joins Google

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby cbwierda » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Now we finally know.

Good luck going forward and thanks for everything up to now.

I think this will be good for Waze and the community. Server infrastructure will no longer be a significant issue. I can see some ways to use the existing Google Map and the existing Waze Map Editors to make a combined product that will be better than either could be in isolation.

Mazel Tov!
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
cbwierda

Postby ccdmas » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Congrats Waze! I actually hoped that would happen (although my fellow wazer here said we're still discussing in Germany ;)), and I like what I hear so far how it's going to move forward.

I have high hopes in bettter performance due to more ressources, plus better search and aerials. Everything else will be seen in the hopefully bright future.

CU,
Massimo
Area Manager Köln/Ratingen
ccdmas
Beta tester
Beta tester

Waze joins Google

Postby chiefwazer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Dear Wazers,
I am excited to announce today that we have accepted an offer to join Google. I’d like to share some information about what this means for Waze.

Larry Page, Brian McClendon and the Google Maps teams have been following our progress closely and are excited about what we’ve accomplished. They share our vision of a global mapping service, updated in real time by local communities, and wish to help us accelerate. We are excited about the prospect of working with the Google Maps team to enhance our search capabilities and to join them in their ongoing efforts to build the best map of the world.

Nothing practical will change here at Waze. Waze will maintain our community, brand, service and organization – the community hierarchy, responsibilities and processes will not change. The same Waze people will continue to collaborate with you, and we will continue to innovate our product and services, making them more social, functional and helpful for everyday drivers. Our employees, managers, founders and I are all committed to our vision for many years to come.

Why not stay completely independent? We asked ourselves: “Will Waze still be a fun project to participate in, and a fun place to work at, as a stand-alone public company?” Choosing the path of an IPO often shifts attention to bankers, lawyers and the happiness of Wall Street, and we decided we’d rather spend our time with you, the Waze community. Google is committed to help us achieve our common goal and provide us with the independence and resources we need to succeed. We evaluated many options and believe Google is the best partner for Waze, our map editors, area managers, champs and nearly 50 million Wazers globally.

Together, we can accelerate our mission to outsmart traffic. We will continue to make a real impact on drivers globally, helping them save time and money while making everyone’s daily commute a bit more efficient and fun.

So, it’s back to work for us with some great new colleagues and resources to enhance our project. Thank you for your participation in shaping Waze to what it is today, and we look forward to continuing to build out Waze together with you.

See you on the road,

The Waze Team
chiefwazer
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby chiefwazer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:17 pm

asterix06 wrote:My Congratulation to Noam and Waze Team for that positive conclusion.

I hope we will be in the position to continue to work with your Team as we did till now.

I hope future Management decisions will alway be in Line with the "Waze Freedom Spirit"

thanks but this is not a "conclusion" but a "way point" ;-)
chiefwazer
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby chris0046 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:35 am

Congrats!
chris0046

Postby Da_Mak » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't know if it is a good news.
The future will tell...
Da_Mak

Postby Dave2084 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Congratulations to all the Waze team.

Lets hope it is a fruitful relationship for Waze, Google and all us Wazers!
iPhone 4S 32GB (Jailed) • iOS 7.1.0 • Waze 3.7.9.922 Beta
Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • iPhone Expert
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm

pydagenais wrote:google got his own crew and editors for the google map and waze got his own way that is far more permissive then google that ask up to 1 month before some major adjustements on the map !!

Well, there is no mapmaker support for Portugal and many other countries, and google maps have errors that goes back years and years, hence why I've always said that in terms of routing, for me, it's waze->bing->gmaps.

If we do get Google search and the *OPTION* of using bing or google aerials, it would already be a good start.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

asterix06 wrote:So...at the end of the story, Waze will supply traffic data to Apple an Google !!

What else ?

Am I wrong Noam ?

Was Waze still providing data to apple besides Israel?
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Waze will change name to Waazle :p (kidding)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General