Waze joins Google

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby sketch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

davipt wrote:I have to be honest and admit that after some six month being broken, it got fixed again some weeks ago, but this is one of the cases I was refering: http://goo.gl/maps/haC21

In the US, it's not such a major problem, which is to be expected since Google is based here, but there are still problems. Like US-90 in Mobile, AL: http://goo.gl/maps/XpPDM

US-90 comes from the west along Government St; Alabama Route 16 is Alabama's internal unsigned designation for US-90 through the state. All's well until the intersection with S Broad. US-90 E turns to the north up Broad, which turns into Beauregard as it curves eastward again. 90 E then turns to the north again along I-165 N, soon exiting to the east along Bay Bridge Rd. It crosses the bridge then heads south, where it joins with US-98 near the interchange with I-10. That's all fine and good.

US-90 does not, however, continue east on Government St and through the Bankhead Tunnel, but Google has shielded it as such (and as Alabama 16) anyway. This portion of Government Street from Broad, east through the tunnel, and to the intersection with US-90 is actually a portion of US-98. Bing and MapQuest have this correct.

Further, the portion of US-90 which runs along Broad, Beauregard, I-165, Bay Bridge, and back down the other side is also designated US-98 Truck. Google does not mention this. Bing and MapQuest are again correct.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Lol, this is swaying waaaaay off topic, guys. When I say G's maps are CONSIDERED to be good I mean that the perception of the general public is that they are good. We, editors, see that different. AppleMaps are considered crappy by the same general public - but they are maybe 98% correct, just not correct enough.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kpouer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm

It really depends on the places, details may be wrong, but if you look at waze far from urban area, often roads have no names and even are one way because one wazer did drive once on it. On Google Maps most of the time roads are named and often the name is ok.
And in many countries Google has a basemap much better than any other map
For example Agadez in Niger:
https://maps.google.fr/?ll=16.961576,7. ... 3&t=m&z=14
They have streets (no name but better than nothing)
On bing they only have highways http://binged.it/1bwZjB4
And on yahoo nothing.
And in many non occidental places it is like that.
In fact I don't know how they did it, is it done manually or something like OCR on aerial pictures, I don't know.
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davipt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 pm

fvwazing wrote:Lol, this is swaying waaaaay off topic, guys. When I say G's maps are CONSIDERED to be good I mean that the perception of the general public is that they are good. We, editors, see that different. AppleMaps are considered crappy by the same general public - but they are maybe 98% correct, just not correct enough.

Again I disagree. Google maps are CONSIDERED good because of street view and the satellite images (even if sometimes bing is better, some people will probably not look at it for being microsoft), and google earth, and, I need to admit, the vectorial stuff is usually much nicer than others.

For navigation, I doubt it, from my country's experience and assuming the same happens in other "lesser" countries. And again I'm not talking about small interior villages that nobody drives - those also need a lot of help on Waze - but the streets that thousands of people drive every day.
My drive home-work is the a very simple 20-25km trip through normal streets. Google can't drive me there without doing an illegal u-turn. Funny thing I found the bug on Google because I myself had done a mistake on waze and almost screwed it in a similar way, but on Waze I got it fixed even before any update screwed it, and google is still broken.

Another funny thing is that with our experience with the waze editor we start looking at details on the other maps and seeing that they also commit the same mistakes as us. Stuff like having slight variations on city names and then seeing double labels, or seeing those cases where street names appear larger than the city label itself. Basically everytime I see such a thing my brain just clicks on the segment trying to fix it. I want my mapmaker for Portugal!
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlexN-114 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Let's see, what the future will bring.
Bing and Google arials to switch... ? ;-)
best regards Alex ;)
AM Waldviertel (NÖ)/Forest quarter (Lower Austria) / CM Austria / GC
HiLiCi @ greasyfork.org or @ userscripts.org
AlexN-114
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jalan94 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Generalizing one service's maps as good or not good is a complete waste of time in my opinion. The differences within one Country are massive let alone between Countries. This is a neighborhood by neighborhood question and all of us have only an infinitesimal fraction of experience with the entire breadth of the maps offered by these companies.
jalan94

Postby davipt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 pm

jeffcarp wrote:Generalizing one service's maps as good or not good is a complete waste of time in my opinion. The differences within one Country are massive let alone between Countries. This is a neighborhood by neighborhood question and all of us have only an infinitesimal fraction of experience with the entire breadth of the maps offered by these companies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to rationalize this buying as a positive thing by looking back at google maps over the places I know - most of Portugal and 8 years of a small part of Germany and the highways in between - and trying to understand the evolution during all these years, specially now with the inside experience of Waze editing and using those edits in real life. And what I see on Google looks like an attempt to put the machines in charge and get the maps updated automatically - I recall something about OCR reading the street name signs - which is taking the maps into the bad place I've been "bashing" above. I'm not complaining in the absolute meaning, but in the sense that it feels like Google was getting behind, or even worse than before, so I'm trying to convince myself that Google understood that millions of people are always better than millions of CPU cycles and hence why Waze came into the picture. I personally have some hate (better than hate, I'm at the indifference stage) with Microsoft, but when I myself have to admit that in certain aspects (for my areas, again) bing is better than google, I kind of feel bad for google. Unfortunately then I tried to help google, but couldn't, and then found OSM, which hated the editor, and then found Waze. Now the circle completes!
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby argus-cronos » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 pm

davipt wrote:Another funny thing is that with our experience with the waze editor we start looking at details on the other maps and seeing that they also commit the same mistakes as us.

+1
There are many errors in Google Maps, but anyhow it works. And it seems people like it. Now they can improve their crappy map with actual waze stuff. Streetview also depends on country, in germany they ran in several privacy issues, so they do not offer a streetview anywhere compared to countries where they even drove through private roads or in cul-de-sacs to get a view.

i hope the buying is postitve, but we will see.
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby TruckOttr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Here's a video from Google I/O 2013 that occurred mid-May 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FsbLEtS0uls

It shows Google's current directions and processes as it relates to Google Maps.

You can also request an invite to try out the new versions of Google Maps which are quite different than the current version. Both the mobile and web based versions are getting an update.

https://maps.google.com/help/maps/helloworld/desktop/preview/
ImageImage
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)
TruckOttr

Postby Machete808 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 am

NorfolkMustard wrote:My expectation: waze editors invited to join existing google map maker community. Any improvements in routing algorithms subsumed into gMaps

What would be the incentive for Waze editors to join the Google "community"? I got a free nav app from Waze, at least, and I don't need to compound my map-making addiction with more work. I don't expect to see any merging -- except for the ads, of course.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm delighted at the prospect of getting aerials (far better than Bing's in my area) and Street View!
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles
Country manager, Thailand
Image Image
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Waze Mentor