Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Play sound to phone speaker

Post by boodahbellie
What is the purpose of the "Play sound to phone speaker" check box (Settings>Sound)? I mean, doesn't it already go through the phone speaker?
boodahbellie

POSTER_ID:4697407

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:This shouldn't be happening. Are you sure your speaker volume isn't just turned down? Waze uses the media volume setting for prompts, which is separate from the ringer/alert volume setting. Unless you've changed your iPhone settings, the volume buttons on the side won't adjust Waze's volume unless Waze is giving a prompt. Try adjusting the volume while Waze is actually speaking.
Alternately, and oftentimes easier to increase volume: activate voice commands with two waves or a 3-finger tap, whichever you have set in settings. While Waze is waiting for your voice input, use the hardware buttons on the phone to increase the sound volume.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by eaglejm7
I was wondering about that. There is actually *Supposed** to be a blue tooth connection to the car! I don't have one, it is not offered (grumble). Android Lollipop on a Galaxy 5s
eaglejm7
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img][img]https:///9Lblq[/img]https://tinyurl.com/pt3ymsa

Post by holmes4
Turning this on also turns off "Prefer Bluetooth". I am a "Waze Baby" but was surprised that the voice prompts on my iPhone 4S came out the regular phone speaker (the one that goes by the ear) rather than the much louder speakerphone speaker. I could barely hear the prompts. Perhaps I missed a setting somewhere.... If I enable Bluetooth, then I get the prompts that way.
holmes4
Send a message
Steve

Post by Mofofunk
Is this option for when you are playing audio via the headphone jack (i.e. line into your car radio) and the prompts will still come out of the phone, not down the headphone output?
Mofofunk
Send a message

Post by samwlee
I cannot get Waze to play sounds through my audio jack on the above phone. Every other app does it just fine. I have selected "play sounds through phone speaker". Still nothing. Where can I go to solve this problem :x ? Waze does play sound for turn by turn, but NOT through audio jack which is how I connect to my car radio since it has NO bluetooth. Thank you.
samwlee
Send a message

Post by sandygors
So here is the story as verified on MY galaxy S5 :
The setting in Waze settings named 'play sound to phone speaker serves one purpose. To enable sound to be routed to the ear phone jack while simultaneously disabling the phone's speaker. This only pertains to the app Waze.
When you want to play Waze sound though the phone's speaker you re-enable play sound thru the phone's speaker.
sandygors
Send a message

Post by sketch
AshBrad84 wrote:Is this option for when you are playing audio via the headphone jack (i.e. line into your car radio) and the prompts will still come out of the phone, not down the headphone output?
That's the idea.

When the option is selected and your phone is connected through the headphone jack, Waze should fade out and pause your music if it's playing, say the prompt through the phone speaker, and then play and fade in your music over the headphone connection.
holmes4 wrote:Turning this on also turns off "Prefer Bluetooth". I am a "Waze Baby" but was surprised that the voice prompts on my iPhone 4S came out the regular phone speaker (the one that goes by the ear) rather than the much louder speakerphone speaker. I could barely hear the prompts. Perhaps I missed a setting somewhere.... If I enable Bluetooth, then I get the prompts that way.
This shouldn't be happening. Are you sure your speaker volume isn't just turned down? Waze uses the media volume setting for prompts, which is separate from the ringer/alert volume setting. Unless you've changed your iPhone settings, the volume buttons on the side won't adjust Waze's volume unless Waze is giving a prompt. Try adjusting the volume while Waze is actually speaking.

Normally, adjusting the phone's music volume setting would also affect Waze's output volume, but since the iPhone saves Headphone and Speaker volumes separately for media, I don't think adjusting the Headphone media volume setting would affect the Speaker media volume.

As for "Prefer Bluetooth", well, your phone can't play sounds over both Bluetooth and the phone speaker at once, although I suppose it would be useful to keep both enabled in the case that you wish to use your phone speaker only when the phone doesn't find a Bluetooth connection.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Different car stereos act differently. In my car, with Ford SYNC, even if I have my phone connected to the stereo via Bluetooth, as long as I don't have and haven't had it selected, Waze will announce over the phone speaker (once you select Bluetooth Audio and then switch to something else, Waze doesn't make a sound until the car is next turned off and on). In the rental I have this week, Chevrolet MyLink will not allow any sound over the phone if it's connected via Bluetooth to the audio system, even if it isn't and hasn't been selected as an audio source.

Now, I don't have "play sound to phone speaker" on, and I don't have an Android device. I'm just trying to offer some insight as to why others may or may not have the same experience as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by vickyrao
Seems like turning on the option for "settings>sound>Play sound to phone speaker" either does not work, or the sound gets choppy. depending on my luck. Most of the time, no sound.

I have to set this option because im always on bluetooth and my phone connects to my car audio system. But i use this for phone calls purpose only and my car audio player is always on Radio function. Therefore without this option, i wont be able to hear any navigation sound.

I am now on Adroid 3.7.7.0 version. It use to work before this.

I am using Xperia Z1 C6903 with official Sony firmware on stock 4.3 JellyBean Android.

Any idea on this issue? I even checked with another user who is using Nexus 5, and same issue when Play sound to phone speaker is selected.
vickyrao
Send a message