Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby crezymunky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Not all the crosswalks are properly marked. Some there is barely a sign. If you are in an unfamilier area, it would be nice to have it in waze. No need to act that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
crezymunky

Postby Riamus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:36 pm

I think crosswalks are a bad idea overall. The main reason is that you'd be getting warnings constantly in a large city that has crosswalks at every intersection. Can you imagine driving through someplace like New York City? "Warning, warning, warning, warning..." People would just get annoyed. And suggesting to use it only in certain cases wouldn't work either. People would add one everywhere if it was allowed. I can see where certain ones may be dangerous and you might want a warning for those. But I think those need to be set as something else if anything. As far as police ticketing for those, I don't think that's a good reason for them either. If police are there, mark them. No need to mark the crosswalk for that.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby icissel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

I know this is an older thread and perhaps this has been addressed already. I work in emergency services and often times an accident is posted on waze before we even hear about it. When an accident occurs on a highway or other road where opposing traffic is divided by medians or barriers it makes it difficult to determine the exact location of the accident and the best route (i.e. getting on an on ramp to go north when you should go south). It would be great if there were an emergency mode where users could select their service area and view a list of recently posted accidents (or even recieve them as push notifications) to help find the best route to the accident.
icissel

Postby txemt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I've thought of "waze" to help out emergency responders using waze, myself having been in the industry for 10 years, and find it difficult to really nail down an "emergency mode" setting on the app. I would think that people who see it may use it to their advantage and get in the way of first responders to the scene. I'd like to see something where an emergency responder can close out a few sections of highway/roadway because there's an evacuation going on, street closures due to a large fire, etc, instead of having to go to each individual street.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Something like "define desaster area", maybe?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Riamus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 am

Special modes for emergency personnel sound great, but how do you determine if someone is really supposed to have access to it? It's one thing if you can't do anything special beyond perhaps seeing additional information. It's something else to be able to do something not normally allowed, such as blocking off an entire section of streets (something that could be severely abused). If there's a good way to give emergency personnel what they can use without it becoming a problem, then I'm all for it.

Regarding the initial question about being able to see where the emergency is on a divided road, I wonder if there can just be a note on the hazard that says what direction the road is going? It doesn't have to be a perfect mechanism, but basically 8 cardinal directions. N, S, E, W, NW, SW, NE, SE. It can be based solely on the direction of travel at that exact point and determined by the angle of the road at that point and whether it's on the right or left side of the road (different countries need to of course handle it differently depending on which side the cars drive on). You could probably get by with 4 directions instead of 8, but it could be confusing if you're right at a center division. That could be tested to see if it's a problem or not. If not, I'd just use the 4 major directions.

E.g.
Minor accident
Main St (westbound)
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby deeggo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:10 am

@fvwazing just because it's the village of Weert, doesn't automatically make it disaster area. That'll make some unhappy residents ;-)
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby woyteck79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Please make a mode to account for road signs i.e. low bridge, slope steepness and truck/lorry restrictions (or general weight limits).

New vehicle types:
truck/HGV/tralier/TIR - largest vehicle in normal traffic on the road.
Bus - usage for bus lanes
Van/Lorry/Delivery - vehicle above 3.5t but below 7.5t (often allowed in town centres)
Motorbike - treat data from them differently (allow passing traffic)
NO bicycles - maybe they need Waze for cyclists as separate server.
Emergency vehicle - allow all turns.
train/tram - navigation OFF, traffic reporting OFF.

Road types:
- separate unpaved road from 4x4 trail and add extra option to allow using 4x4 trails.
- get bus/taxi/motorbike lane type (could be with extra selection starting with BUS as default and ability to tick taxi and/or motorbike when needed)
- add HOV/express lanes.
- add tram tracks.

Add alerts:
- road surface damage (potholes)
- disaster area/ road closed/no go zone (route all traffic around it unless destination is within - but give warning)
woyteck79

Postby fvwazing » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

deeggo wrote:@fvwazing just because it's the village of Weert, doesn't automatically make it disaster area. That'll make some unhappy residents ;-)

That was a roadclosure-benchmark some time ago: a big fire causing all streets up to 2km downwind to get closed, including a freeway. Roadclosure failed just as spectacular as the fire as 30 or 40 Wazers could not close any street at all.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Cornath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

I could see adding support for truck drivers. Maybe give them a way to designate route restrictions (height, weight, hazmat, etc...). As far as affecting the listed speed of traffic, some companies govern their vehicles at 55-60, so this may show traffic congestion on th the app if there are several trucks using waze near each other.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Cornath

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App