This forum is about the search function in the Waze App. Use it to talk about anything related to searching on your app.

Google search implementation

Post by
Hi guys!

We're starting to integrate Google search instead of Bing in some countries.

We'll start by enabling it first for 10% of the users in the N.A server and gradually it will be enabled for everyone.

In the INTL server Google search will replace Bing in Italy and in the Netherlands first.
We will gradually enable it in other countries as well if all works as expected.

In addition, this will be enabled for all server testers in these countries.

What are the implications?

Basically, the only thing that changes is the provider. Nothing should change in the search mechanism. It works with the same logic but instead of returning Bing results, it returns Google's.
Moreover in countries where the local search for POI's returns Bing by default - now Google results will be returned by default instead.

Search mechanism - short recap:
The N.A server currently works with the new mechanism:
It compares Waze's results with the external provider's (Bing / Google) and displays the better one.
For address search, we also compare the external provider (Bing and now Google) to Waze geocoding results, to give the most updated entries.

The INTL server doesn't work yet with the new mechanism and will therefore return the 3rd party provider's results by default. When the provider will be switched to Google in your country - and this will be done country by country - you will get the results from Google instead of Bing.

For free text searches (i.e. not through category search) which we determine as 'business search', we usually rely on Bing Local Search engine for results. That will be replaced with Google Places in the US (10%), Italy (100%) and Netherlands (100%).

In the US, for some categories, we go to Yelp / Foursquare, and that will not change for now.

Thanks,

Shirli and Dror :)

Post by dctdye
That will be a nice change. I tried to find something this weekend and the Bing results were atrocious!
dctdye
Area Manager- Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Looks like the Google Local results aren't particularly local...
Did you enter city or at least state?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
goimir wrote:The worst thing for me is that waze knows it's giving you improper directions, as your route does not end on the destination steet.
Yes and no. Yes, you input the value, but it relies exclusively on GPS location for the actual destination. With Waze internal addressing they are working on getting the stop point to be able to be located on any segment. I've got dozens maybe hundreds of addresses where the actual location is on a street named other than that in the address.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by gettingthere
maantje76 wrote:How is the best result determinated?
I am interested to know this also. If Google returns a result it is automatically 'the best'?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by AndyPoms
Where does Bing place the pin for your search? See item #28 of the Waze FAQ for more info...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by asterix06
It si a couple of weeks address search it works well by hours numbers as well ! Also this search type is implemented with the switch to Google search engine ?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 con Tapatalk 2
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
JURJENM wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Where does Bing place the pin for your search? See item #28 of the Waze FAQ for more info...
Bing doesn't give any results. Only Waze and Google and both point to the wrong location. I am using Waze for android.
Check the address result on maps.bing.com. Of course it doesn't show any results in the app. It never does. The address results are always in the Waze tab.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by AndreaDFC
Does Waze use the Google engine for all Italian users just now (14 August 2013)?

When the international server will have the same search mechanism of the North American server?
AndreaDFC

Post by CoooolRaoul
Could someone please explain: I'm a little be confused and don't get what's "new" here: I remember having the google *and* the bing icons in search results selection since I'm using Waze
CoooolRaoul

Post by CoooolRaoul
sketch wrote: Waze automatically shows what it thinks is the best tab for each search you do.
I guess it works differently on the IOS version you're using.

I'm using the Androïd version, and there search *always* give focus to the "waze" tab, I've to manually switch to another tab after that.
CoooolRaoul