Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby ictag » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 am

I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.

But, it probably wreaks havoc with the waze maps (especially in towns and cities) so a transport-type button might lead to less map errors.
ictag

Postby ictag » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
ictag wrote:I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.
Waze is NOT for use on bicycles.

Oh. Ok.
But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.
ictag

Postby ictag » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

fvwazing wrote:Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

OMG...I never used waze to navigate cycling or walking in town. That is crazy! You know the way already.
But waze is good for seeing which of your friends are also wandering around in town/cycling-to-work.
ictag

Postby im_anca » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 am

Vehicle : Motorcycle

It would be great if waze can add it, in Indonesia the population of motorcycle is enormous
and many road (Jakarta) that have motorcycle restriction, and many small alley that only motorcycle can pass, so it will help us (motorcycle user) a lot..
im_anca

Postby jcluth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 pm

boodieman72 wrote:Another vote for truck routes. Just think off all the data Waze could get with a truck drivers using it.

I think they already are. I drove a thousand miles through OH, IN, IL, and MO in the middle of the night a few days ago and passed several fellow Wazers...and the only nearby vehicles were semis. In fact, I'd estimate that at least 1 out of every 10 trucks I encountered seemed to appear with a Waze avatar somewhere in the vicinity, and a few truckers I've seen on the forums here have said they keep Waze up for info on upcoming hazards (and likely cops, too).

Given that several states restrict the speeds of trucks (IN was 70/cars and 65 trucks, and CA is 70 cars/55 trucks, which is downright dangerous, IMHO, due to the speed differential), it probably isn't a bad idea to give trucks their own category on Waze.
iPhone 5, always latest versions of iOS and Waze unless otherwise specified
jcluth

Postby jcluth » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:10 am

I misread the post I replied to. I missed the word "truck routes" and thought the poster was just suggesting that we can get lots of data from enticing truckers to use Waze. I simply meant to comment that it seems a lot of truckers already use Waze. I know nothing about how Waze should handle truck routes.
iPhone 5, always latest versions of iOS and Waze unless otherwise specified
jcluth

Postby jemay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

1) Recreational Vehicle (RV), some roads are restricted and do not allowing RVs. Some roads and tunnels do not allow RVs.
2) Towing anything. (Car towing a trailer, RV towing a car/trailer, Pickup truck towing trailer, Truck (18 wheelers)....) Because in California you can only do 55mph while everybody else can go faster when posted. So time of ETA would change for anybody towing (because we are not allowed to drive over 55mph when towing)
3) In California, if the HOV lanes are in the center of the interstate, Trucks and towing vehicles can not be in the inside (Left) lanes or the dedicated center (of the freeway) lanes (i.e. 91 express lanes).
4) Trains. People are already riding the trains with Waze on and building roads (tracks :roll:)
5) Ferry routes. Currently we mark them as toll roads, but should be classified and noted as Ferry.

Notes:
Truck = 18 wheeler = semi = commercial truck,
Pickup truck = non commercial truck would equate to private car.
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Jnives » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 pm

I Totally agree with this I think it would help a lot. HOV is really big over here in northern virginia. Great Idea CBenson plus if there is away to avoid EZPASS lanes in the route that would be a really nice feature. Too many times I have gotten put on to those lanes using my gps and having to pay a fee.
CBenson wrote:I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
Jnives

Postby joelw135 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I would love to see bicycle and bicycle friendly routes. Many people commute by bicycle today and the number of recreational riders has increased.
joelw135

Postby jonathanconrad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 am

Vehicle type: motorcycles

I apologise if someone's mentioned my points in this thread, but, based on my experience, a motorcycle setting would be helpful for two reasons. Firstly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from reporting inaccurate traffic conditions when they are filtering though traffic. Secondly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from being unnecessarily rerouted around standstill traffic - something that can be very frustrating for me as a rider when I know I can filter past the traffic anyway.

As for the American states who have made filtering (or 'lane splitting' in local jargon) illegal, I cannot see the point of wanting to own a motorcycle in the first place if you can't take advantage of its smaller size. There is a safe manner in performing this manoeuvre, so instead of banning it completely, the Americans should rather educate their drivers to be more aware of the things around them (the level of driving in most states is atrocious as it is compared Western Europe) as well as training motorcyclists how to filter safely.
jonathanconrad

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App