Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by fvwazing
Maybe Waze should crowdsource its legal support? Until then, the only way to get things done in Waze quick (to the better or to the worse) seems to be: forget uservoice, just send an order written in appropriate legaleeze.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Ai... current Waze architecture only has global pois and personal favorites. You ask for a personal set of pois, be it stored in the server or in the device. That would a project that could easily carry beyond 2016...
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
RodNav wrote: BTW, how many of those who said they would leave, have actually left yet?
Uh.... "Everyone who left the room, please raise your hands!".

Truth is: we don't know due to lack of transparent usage statistics. But Germany was always far behind in mapping and this incident does not exactly attract new Wazers in droves.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gas_85
milkyway35 wrote:
popel22 wrote:
milkyway35 wrote:Report police is not only for mobile speedcams.

With the police icon, you report policemen. They can control speed, or anything else. I dont think it could be forbiden in any country to say "hey there is a policemen here"
It is
Then the country is not compliant with the Human rights european convention that allow you to communicate
It is aloud to report policeman and show them on the map, but it is illegal to have device/application that can worn you in advance about police cameras. So, if Waze implement switcher "on/off" police sound notification it should be enough.
gas_85
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message

Post by GPSRitter
After my first shock about that decision and still without understanding the point of waze in removing the Radars from the Map in Germany, I decided to 'use' my position as CCO of DACH community and give first of all my opinion on that as well as doing some background actions to clean that up.

Shirli, Ori & other Waze staff, the decision to remove that is understandable for Switzerland, but not for Germany, as the law is clear to what I could see so far. The production, sell and ownership of dedicated devices to warn on speed traps (fixed and non fixed) is completely legal. The active use of such devices is against law. So IMHO waze is not breaking any law in Germany, if information on speed cameras are shown in the Map.

But as I`m not a lawyer and my opinion to waze is as useless as any other non legal opinion, I have have sent a request to Udo Vetter, a german lawyer that runs http://www.lawblog.de/ and has won Grimme Award on information in 2011, to get a legal opinion on that. As I had the time to do that only now, there is of course no answer yet available.

So before the bashing on the waze team continues, I'd like the community to stay calm and wait on feedback, either from me or from the waze team.

Waze team, If Mr. Vetter sends an answer only to me (and does not post it here), I`ll keep you informed and we should discuss next steps before I post his answer here.

Hope this is in the sense of waze and the community too.

BR,

Andi
GPSRitter
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by GreenCherokee
I was ready to get into waze. But after this step, I will continue using Trapster.

Sorry folks. Big mistake. This will cost you lots of users!
GreenCherokee
Send a message

Post by Jan924
Announcing such a change, just like it means nothing for the local community? Without having discussion with the local CM's or telling them in advance? Just like someone made that decision in its lunch-break? Seriously?!

Waze is not a company, where your Boss is telling you how it goes. You define yourserelf as a community. People are working for waze without earning any money. I wouldn't dare doing something, that could offend the community and if I were a CM, I would definitely feel offended and not taken seriously or treatet with the appropriate respect.

Even if it's a google decision, its just the way you handled that issue, that makes me angry.

Cheers
Jan
Jan924
Send a message
AM Karlsruhe/Großraum Backnang (Rems-Murr-Kreis)

Post by JCDentonMale
If you remove this major feature, then what will be the interest in using Waze? Navigation? We have Google Navigation for that!
That's not a way to thank the community, and for sure the community will collapse in the concerned countries.

Danger zones? Let me laugh. That's exactly why I stopped to use Coyote. There are danger zones every 2 minutes!

Make it an option, and if it's illegal, let users be outlaws if they decide it. Period.

Or I guess that someone will have to make a new Waze.
JCDentonMale
Send a message

Post by JCDentonMale
beffl wrote:We have all worked hard and spend a lot of volunteer hours to improve WAZE. But you have to help us here. Such actions are counterproductive and causes users to start thinking about if it is not a waste of time!
That's exactly what I'm thinking right now. Should I keep updating the maps in my area? Should I consider switching to another application, if any?

Waze is great because it's a great driving helper. I like to know if there is a speed trap or police ahead, not because I want to drive too fast, but because it's so easy to drive at 51 kph instead of 50 and to loose 45€ + 1 driving licence point.
JCDentonMale
Send a message