Waze joins Google

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby davipt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm

zappee wrote:
jeffcarp wrote:If the resulting service in the end has all of the great aspects of the service that was bought, what difference does it make what the service is called?

Difference is that Google will prioritize Android with Google Maps and not iOS/WP.

Isn't Google Maps app better on iOS than on Android itself? :mrgreen:

zappee wrote:
davipt wrote:So I see two things in direct competition - the road tiles and the car navigation client. Maybe plus the traffic information that I'm not sure where google is getting from, themselves or just 3rd parties.

Back to YouTube, it was clear that YouTube would remain as is and Google Videos would die. The amount of traffic and users was abysmal. We can't say the same about Waze and Google Navigation, hence the big question of what will happen this time.

So you think Google will close down Maps navigation and keep Waze?
That's not really realistic.

I have my own opinion based on my own country which obviously I can't scale for the whole service - google maps has become worse and worse every year. Not just multi-year outdated data. Worse. Wrong. Providing huge-ticket and illegal routes. Can't take me home-work on a perfectly normal trip. That kind of stuff. So I would really like to see Google pushing Waze maps as the primary source, and use the existing data - their own, and whenever possible the data they license when possible - to help improve waze. My feeling is that today we can't use the street data from google to populate waze (in an automatic way, etc etc.) because that data is a mixture of several data sources, with different licenses that forbids google from giving it to waze, even today that they are together. If google could provide a separate layer of street data licensed for use on Waze, then it would be perfect. Something like you create a road and the input box states "did you mean street xyz?" :D
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shirlig » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi guys!

We’ve been reading all your comments in this forum thread and wanted first to thank you all for the wishes and the support!!
Many of you were wondering about the implications on the product and asking about expected changes in different areas in the company. We understand that such a change might involve different kind of thoughts and concerns, however - as mentioned in our previous posts - all in all no significant changes are expected.
Things that will change however will actually be for the benefit of all (like the access to google’s aerial, street view, search etc)

Even though Waze is now owned by Google, it remains an independant company and keeps operating as such.
That means that the app, brand, map, editor etc - remain managed by the same people, with the same vision and same workflow as before.

As to some specific questions that have been brought up:
  • There are currently no plans to merge Waze maps into Google maps’ or vice versa. In some places we may exchange data in the same way we integrated base maps from external providers. You will keep your full editing capabilities on the Waze maps.
  • We do plan to exchange traffic and incidents data.
  • We are looking to expand our data schema to improve the level of details of our map to be on par with Google's. To do that, we plan to include other google parameters like number of lanes, legal speed, walking, bicycles parking etc. these will be open for editing and will be the base for future services like max speed warning, walking directions etc. Moreover, we might also add more road types to the editor. Of course all of the above are still very initial plans and not something that will happen in a day or two :)
  • The map-editor keeps operating exactly as before. The things that might be affected in this field in the foreseeable future are the aerials that will be replaced with google’s aerials and streetview. Some of you asked to keep Bing’s aerial as well and allow to switch between the two - we will check if it’s possible, we’re not sure about it yet.
  • There were some questions about the implications of this acquisition on Facebook features and Facebook connect. We have no plans to remove our Facebook features. It is very possible that we will add the ability to connect with a Google accounts in addition to Facebook.
  • No changes to expect in the way Ads in the app are managed. Continues the same as today.
Many of you expressed your concerns about Waze’s future after the acquisition by Google.

We want you to know that among other things, one of the biggest interests of Google in Waze is this special DNA of the company and the unique company & community relationship we have.
The community is not only at the top of Waze priorities, but it is also highly important for Google to encourage and preserve this collaborative work with the community. We’re all committed to this DNA and to this fertile relationship.

Of course, no one can guarantee what the far future will hold. We never could, even before joining Google. What we can say for sure is the new path with Google is very promising, very exciting and by far the best option for all parties involved. All of us, in all Waze teams, and in Google - tremendously believe in our product and in our way that brought us here. You guys are the secret ingredient that makes Waze what it is. We are not going anywhere without you.
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby sketch » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:35 pm

shirlig wrote:[list][*]We are looking to expand our data schema to improve the level of details of our map to be on par with Google's. To do that, we plan to include other google parameters like number of lanes, legal speed, walking, bicycles parking etc. these will be open for editing and will be the base for future services like max speed warning, walking directions etc. Moreover, we might also add more road types to the editor. Of course all of the above are still very initial plans and not something that will happen in a day or two :)

I'm looking forward to this!
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you for the updates Shirli. And I think the biggest request we all have is to simply continue posts like this and keep the lines of communication open. When we don't hear anything we let our imagination fill in the blanks :lol:
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby kpouer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 pm

That's very interesting news Shirli, about keeping Bing aerials, I'm sure it will be possible, if the people of OSM are able to do it, you can also do it :mrgreen:
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Poopstick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Good. My motivation went back up
Nexus 4 - Android 4.2.2
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jalan94 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you for the update Shirli. If you have two customers, one that heavily edits in Google's editor and one that heavily edits in the Waze editor, will each of their efforts help the entire community going forward? In other words, if I add a road in Google that also isn't in Waze, does my effort help the Waze community and vice versa? If it does not, I think it would be a squandered opportunity that could come from this acquisition. The collective community together can create a much more accurate map than the divided community can when kept separate.
jalan94

Postby lunarplexus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

jeffcarp wrote:Thank you for the update Shirli. If you have two customers, one that heavily edits in Google's editor and one that heavily edits in the Waze editor, will each of their efforts help the entire community going forward? In other words, if I add a road in Google that also isn't in Waze, does my effort help the Waze community and vice versa? If it does not, I think it would be a squandered opportunity that could come from this acquisition. The collective community together can create a much more accurate map than the divided community can when kept separate.

Totally agree with you Jeff. these two communities coming together has mind blowing potential.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Wazers, keep on Wazin'!

Lunarplexus
Level 5 Editor | Area Manager - New Delhi NCR | Country Manager - India
Beta Editor Expert | Android Expert
Moto G (2nd Gen) Titan Prime ROM (Android 5.0.2)
lunarplexus

Postby TheGridExe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I somehow have a feeling that a rebranded app will come out of this acquisition in the sometime future. I don't think everything from Waze will merge into the Google Maps app except for traffic data perhaps for right now.

The ideas have been posted above but we have to wait and see what really happens within a year from now.
Area manager: Sarasota, Venice, and Bradenton area, FL
TheGridExe
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby banished » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:50 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:When we don't hear anything we let our imagination fill in the blanks :lol:

True. Nature abhors a vacuum.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General