Waze joins Google

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby argus-cronos » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 am

Sorry that i can not hit the Thanks-Button, i'm still depressed of the speedcamageddon here.

shirlig wrote:Hi guys!
...all in all no significant changes are expected.

Same as it ever was...

shirlig wrote:That means that the app, brand, map, editor etc - remain managed by the same people, with the same vision and same workflow as before.

positive in case of communication. Thanks for this!

shirlig wrote:[*]We are looking to expand our data schema to improve the level of details of our map to be on par with Google's. To do that, we plan to include other google parameters like number of lanes, legal speed, walking, bicycles parking etc.

could be positive.

shirlig wrote:[*]The map-editor keeps operating exactly as before.

I really hope not! cause adjusting geometrie of huge Landmarks still ends up in saving errors after more than 20 steps on the counter, which wasn't a problem in alpha version or few after alpha phase.

shirlig wrote:The things that might be affected in this field in the foreseeable future are the aerials that will be replaced with google’s aerials and streetview. Some of you asked to keep Bing’s aerial as well and allow to switch between the two - we will check if it’s possible, we’re not sure about it yet.

Oh man, replace the Bing aerials with the outdated aerials from google, great! definitely no "la Ola" for this. Please check the date of these aerials before the implementation!

shirlig wrote:It is very possible that we will add the ability to connect with a Google accounts in addition to Facebook.

Logical consequence and expected from my side...

shirlig wrote:Of course, no one can guarantee what the far future will hold.

Same as it ever was ;-)

cheers
Argus
argus-cronos

Postby shmupi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the update Shirli.
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby meb001 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:Thank you for the updates Shirli. And I think the biggest request we all have is to simply continue posts like this and keep the lines of communication open. When we don't hear anything we let our imagination fill in the blanks :lol:

Absolutely! we want to hear more from you, so we can know exactly what is going on, thank yoy Shirli
meb001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:50 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:When we don't hear anything we let our imagination fill in the blanks :lol:

True. Nature abhors a vacuum.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TheGridExe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I somehow have a feeling that a rebranded app will come out of this acquisition in the sometime future. I don't think everything from Waze will merge into the Google Maps app except for traffic data perhaps for right now.

The ideas have been posted above but we have to wait and see what really happens within a year from now.
TheGridExe
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby lunarplexus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 pm

jeffcarp wrote:Thank you for the update Shirli. If you have two customers, one that heavily edits in Google's editor and one that heavily edits in the Waze editor, will each of their efforts help the entire community going forward? In other words, if I add a road in Google that also isn't in Waze, does my effort help the Waze community and vice versa? If it does not, I think it would be a squandered opportunity that could come from this acquisition. The collective community together can create a much more accurate map than the divided community can when kept separate.

Totally agree with you Jeff. these two communities coming together has mind blowing potential.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
lunarplexus

Postby jalan94 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you for the update Shirli. If you have two customers, one that heavily edits in Google's editor and one that heavily edits in the Waze editor, will each of their efforts help the entire community going forward? In other words, if I add a road in Google that also isn't in Waze, does my effort help the Waze community and vice versa? If it does not, I think it would be a squandered opportunity that could come from this acquisition. The collective community together can create a much more accurate map than the divided community can when kept separate.
jalan94

Postby Poopstick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Good. My motivation went back up
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kpouer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 pm

That's very interesting news Shirli, about keeping Bing aerials, I'm sure it will be possible, if the people of OSM are able to do it, you can also do it :mrgreen:
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you for the updates Shirli. And I think the biggest request we all have is to simply continue posts like this and keep the lines of communication open. When we don't hear anything we let our imagination fill in the blanks :lol:
WeeeZer14

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General