Using Waze for US road trip

Post by BenTablet
I am from the UK, so have a iPhone with data plan with EE. However I am going to do a US road trip (Vegas to LA to SF to Vegas) end of August. I have a Tomtom sat nav that I was thinking of buying the US maps for

however is there anyway to use Waze, but I would want to turn mobile data off while in US so I don't rack up a huge mobile bill! Therefore could only contact to internet on iPhone when I have WiFi... Could Waze work with just GPS and not using mobile data or does it need mobile data as well ?
BenTablet

POSTER_ID:16098165

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It won't work very reliably without data. You can start it up on wifi and get a route, but if you get off route it won't recalc reliably. Also, after about 20-30min without data, it will never re-connect and your drive data is lost, if that's of concern for you.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BenSwansea83 wrote:So it wont work in another country very well where it will be very expensive to use mobile data? Better to just use the tomtom?
Not in the manner you would probably be happy with. You could pick up a US SIM chip perhaps? Or pay for some international data roaming.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by BenTablet
So it wont work in another country very well where it will be very expensive to use mobile data? Better to just use the tomtom?
BenTablet
Send a message

Post by Colonel667
I'm from Germany used Waze in Michigan almost two years ago. Got an AT&T SIM card, you can buy certain amounts of data with their pre-paid plans. It wasn't even expensive, you should be fine with $20-30.

The only thing that's a bit weird is that you end up with a separate score of points for your account, because Waze uses different servers in the US or something. So i've got like 12k points on www.waze.com, and like 88k points on world.waze.com.
Colonel667
Send a message