These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by unlimitedsounds
jasonh300 wrote:
unlimitedsounds wrote:so after uninstalling and reinstalling the app, I still get only the in 2 miles turn left until I an very close to the turn where it will then say the street name. shouldn't it always say the street name? all other navigation apps do
As someone posted earlier, Waze has never announced the street name at the first announcement when it's that far away.

However, I do believe something has changed with the announcement. I noticed something odd about the first announcement at long distance, but can't put my finger on what's different.

I don't remember someone posting that. but yes it seems different
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
unlimitedsounds wrote:I uninstalled and reinstalled and its still sometimes just saying TURN RIGHT instead of TURN RIGHT ON XXX STREET.. it does says the street name when you get 500FT or .5 miles .. but not like it used to. it never said things like "in 1 mile turn left"
The first announcement of a turn, depending on speed, at the 1 mile mark, or .6 mile mark, has never said the street name. There are three announcements for a turn and the first one has never said the street name, unless it is under a 1/2 mile, in which case the first announcement is usually at 1/4 mile. Only the 2nd and 3rd (if there is time/distance for a third one)
just saw this
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
davipt wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
However, I do believe something has changed with the announcement. I noticed something odd about the first announcement at long distance, but can't put my finger on what's different.
It used to say "prepare to..." ;)
I would rather it say the street name eery time it announces ... Maybe waze can add it in.. its nice to know what street or exit is next BEFORE you get close..
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
davipt wrote:It does say the street name well in advance. In my opinion, even too early. What kind of device do you have? Maybe your device is too slow? (I've seen something similar reported by a 3GS device).

I get the first "prepare" usually at 800m, then worst case the instruction with street at 400, 200 and at the turn place, which in practice can even be 100m away.
Nope I am running a 4S
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
davipt wrote:Two things then.
1st, the initial instruction has no street name because its the trigger point to fetch the tts file, so it's ready for the second instruction. It's a question of resource optimisation.

2nd if the second and later instructions are announced too late, I'd be curious why you'd think late and I think early. It could be a discussion for another thread. But with the 400, 200 and 0 probable announcements, I wonder why would the client be late. Maybe slow network downloading the tts street name? GPS error shouldn't be as its not a 3g or 3GS. Maybe just a road junction too late?
just used it on drive home. On some turns it didn't announce any street name but showed the name Top left. sometimes it didn't day the street name until .5 miles.
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
davipt wrote:.5 miles are 800m, that's how it's been working since at least 3.6. I think before there was an announcement at 1km and 500, but now it's 800, 400, 200. This is what in feet?
but what about it not even said like saying the street name at all? I think it should know the street name as it has it on screen so it should always announce
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
sketch wrote:Do you remember where this happened on the map? Sometimes, when a segment on the map is not named, Waze will display the name of the next named segment on the route, or the last named segment if there are no named segments remaining, but won't speak a name at all.
what do you mean by not named? it showed all the street names on the Top left but didn't announce the name. in 3.6 it did. this is trout road in 08012
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
sketch wrote:
unlimitedsounds wrote:this is trout road in 08012
Ah, here?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-75.01 ... TTTFTTTTFT

I would bet the problem is that Hidden Dr and Trout Rd have the same endpoints. This can cause problems with navigation.

I will leave it like this long enough for you to see it, but I'll fix it afterwards.

When you have a loop like that, where both ends connect to the same segment, navigation can become problematic. The solution is to introduce an "extra" node into Hidden Dr (or Trout Rd) so that no two segments have the same two endpoints.
it also didn't know exactly house was and 3.6 did
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
so how do we fix?
unlimitedsounds
Send a message

Post by unlimitedsounds
jasonh300 wrote:
unlimitedsounds wrote:so how do we fix?
Whenever you install a new version, Waze downloads a new voice file for TTS. A while back, there was an issue that if you switched from Wifi to 3G/4G while this file was downloading, it would get corrupted. This is pretty easy to happen, because it would do this download the first time you ran Waze...often in your driveway or just outside your office, still on Wifi...then you drive away while the file is still downloading, and lose the Wifi connection, and now you have a corrupted file.

Try uninstalling Waze and then re-installing. That might take care of it.

Beware that you're going to have to redo all your settings when you reinstall.
already did that and same tts issues
unlimitedsounds
Send a message