Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: bretmcvey & ARC: ehepner1977 | SunnyRaynbows
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by the1who
All great replies, I appreciate it.

I agree for the parking lots at large sports complexes where they have lot numbers potentially? I agree for the parking lots at large airports for long term or short term.

I especially agree for the public service locations, granted in emergencies I don't think someone is going to open app on phone to find nearest location, but on someone's leisure of just opening up the app to play with it and scroll around, they could find the location of the post office or police stations, in case they had to use their services. I know here locally, people usually have to go to the fire station to get their child's car seats installation checked (if they so desired).

At the meetup, I don't remember getting in-depth on landmarks as much to say we weren't doing parking lots, as much as we got deep into street types, at least what was mentioned as a whole. Now if it was on the side, that could be true. But we didn't really discuss as a whole if this type should be on the list or if this should be removed. I do remember the toll booth landmark being briefly discussed (to which I favored using).

Same as above for public stations, you can scroll on the map to see where the toll booth is...but I haven't plotted them all, I just know on I-70 in KS I just have one there where it turns into the KS Turnpike West out of KC. I am looking at it now on the client, it is distinct and it provides visual information for travelers for sure. Aside from signage along the way, if there is a traffic jam, one could see is it because of this area or beyond right? Ok just my thoughts there running free, but that was one that was discussed for sure at the meetup. Let me know what you think about the toll booth here if you could, interested in feedback on that subject.

Other than that, I think we are on the same track. If there is anything that I need to update, let me know and I'll get to it. Thanks!
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by the1who
Agreed, sitting here, zoomed in, I can see it. I assume that when you come to the toll booth on the freeway, and have to slow down, it'd show I assume.

That UR, was it for toll booths at the exits? Just curious.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
bigbear3764 wrote:
the1who wrote:Agreed, sitting here, zoomed in, I can see it. I assume that when you come to the toll booth on the freeway, and have to slow down, it'd show I assume.

That UR, was it for toll booths at the exits? Just curious.
Nope, in a straightaway where they have the cash and fly by EzPass lanes. Pretty sure this was the one on the I-90 Skyway:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-87.56 ... TTTFTTTFTT
No, I agree to that, but my calling is to the non-native user, the user who is visiting even, or passing by. They'd have to stop. I know when I used the ez-pass (wrong name maybe) for the SF Gate Bridge at the meetup, I drove thru too, without stopping, but I slowed down considerably, to like 20 mph or so, even as a visitor using the pass. I knew it was coming anyways, but the everyday local user would already know the toll booth locations, I am thinking of those that are trekking along.

And then for your parking lot reply, I agree, permit only should not be mapped for sure. The ones with permits will know where to park.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader

Post by thefatveganchef
I have been pretty liberal in killing landmarks in my areas as well. I wish the gas stations were a hidden landmark because there can be a lot of them bunched together especially on busy roads/intersections. The only ones I usually keep are ones that I think would provide a service to the user to be there like hospitals, sports stadiums, airports, museums, or (major) tourist attractions. Something that isn't usually classified as a business and is generally not something that a Wazer would go to that often. There are only a couple of parking lot landmarks that I will keep, and those are usually those at airports so someone who doesn't go to an airport that often would know where the parking is and what type of lot it is (short term, long term, ect).

I thought we discussed at the meetup that the landmarks need to be cleaned up, or was that just on the 30 page list that was given to Waze?
thefatveganchef
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
I think toll booth landmarks are good for another reason, if you are editing a highway it is a good reference to know that highway is a tolled highway so you can be sure the toll flag is there on that segment. I added the toll booths that I could see after I had an editor come behind me and remove the toll flag from a segment of road I knew was toll.
thefatveganchef
Send a message