Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Bicycle generating unrealistic data

Post by karl_db
Hi there,

I've noticed recently that somebody is traveling most days (off-peak) between Foxrock and Donnybrook. This person generates an average speed for that journey of approx 40km/h heading inbound, giving the impression that there are delays (orange line on map) and when heading outbound, which is uphill, they generate an approx speed of 30 km/h, producing a red line on the road and giving the impression of bad delays.

No I have driven this route many times shortly after this person and have achieved double these speeds, therefore deleting the false overlays on the map. I can only presume that this person is riding a bike because of the uphill / downhill variation to his speed.

Is there any way that a WAZE user can denote that they are cycling, in order to maintain correct traffic flows on the app map?
karl_db

POSTER_ID:13346532

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Karl_db wrote:I've noticed recently that somebody is traveling most days (off-peak) between Foxrock and Donnybrook. This person generates an average speed for that journey of approx 40km/h heading inbound, giving the impression that there are delays (orange line on map) and when heading outbound, which is uphill, they generate an approx speed of 30 km/h, producing a red line on the road and giving the impression of bad delays.
40km/h, and even 30km/h is pretty fast for a bicycle! I used to cycle regularly, and I averaged around 20..21km/h on suburban streets, but 40 would be exceptional.

However, would I be right in assuming that the figures of 30 and 40 you see are what Waze reports on the orange/red lines on the map? If that's the case, then those figures could be the combined average speed of the potential cyclist and other Waze users in cars.

That said, I'm not sure what advantage a bike user would get from using Waze, and I can't imagine their phone battery would last very long either.
Karl_db wrote:Is there any way that a WAZE user can denote that they are cycling, in order to maintain correct traffic flows on the app map?
Not at the moment, although there may be in the future - Waze have asked for input on the forums about what people think would be useful in terms of support for different vehicle types (presumably including bikes, but also other vehicles that might travel at different speeds to cars, such as lorries and so on).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by omba_de
Hey.
Is it possible to see the username in the traffic jam signs? If so, try to contact him via PM.
Otherwise there's no way to tell him that he shouldn't use waze while cycling...
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert