Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby goimir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.
goimir

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

goimir wrote:Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.

Similar to your suggestion about truck routes, I think having a routing option of "fewer turns" would be of benefit not just to cars, but especially to trucks as they probably don't like having to make a lot of turns if they can avoid it. Someone suggesting a slider option for choosing what kind of routing to use and I think that's a good option. With the current 2 options and then a fewer turns option, you would have 3 sliders that are locked to equal 100% so that if you move one, the others adjust with it so the total is always 100%. If you wanted to have fewer turns and still wanted fast, but didn't care at all about distance, you might adjust them to 50/50/0 and it would find a route that is fast with few turns, no matter the distance.

And you're right about some alleys being very narrow. That really isn't limited only to alleys, though. For example, some old underpasses can't easily be navigated by vehicles from both directions at the same time. A narrow road option that could be applied to a segment may be valuable and could even be set to automatically place a warning icon as you come up to it. From what I hear, they are shrinking the width of parking lot roads, so they could do the same for any segment marked as narrow so it's also visual. I'd limit such an option to not allow it on major highways or freeways. Probably also prevent it on minor highways as well, but that depends on whether or not you can find narrow sections on minor highways.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby goimir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Most turns on major roads are OK. I can think of a few routes where "less turns" would actually be detrimental to a route. Where you have the old main street which runs along a river, for instance, which is heavily commercialized, vs taking the highways that go around the city. Something like 421 Main st, Jermyn, pa to 57 Robert St, Nanticoke, PA. There are no turns; it's a 35 mile straight shot. It would take you through every town ever and about 150 traffic lights. That's about 2 hours of driving, vs 45 minutes if you took the highway.
goimir

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:14 am

That would be where you'd select fewer turns + fastest, without regard to distance. In most cases, that would take you down the highway instead of through a town. I'm sure there could be some tweaking to make it work in at least most situations and each user can choose how to use it. If someone wanted just 100% fastest (the checkbox setting we have now), they could still do that. I think this would just add more options for those who could use some more options in how it calculates the route.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby dfellow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Just started using Waze. Finding it a nice app. Now see that I'm probably messing things up (speed reports) since I'm riding a bicycle. But, I'm able to document problems though while riding like missing streets and traffic problems, construction zones, so I would like to see a bicycle mode.

Thanks,
Donald
Waze newbie
dfellow

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

dfellow wrote:Just started using Waze. Finding it a nice app. Now see that I'm probably messing things up (speed reports) since I'm riding a bicycle. But, I'm able to document problems though while riding like missing streets and traffic problems, construction zones, so I would like to see a bicycle mode.

Thanks,
Donald
Waze newbie

Do NOT use Waze on a bicycle. Only use Waze while in a car/truck/etc. You are contributing false data to the system. Also, if you go into navigation mode, you will be directed to the heaviest traveled & fastest roads...

(But, yes, a bicycle mode would be nice)
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby khaytsus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 am

A bicycle mode that does not contribute traffic data or errors would be nice, so only routing. Even cyclists sometimes need to know the shortest road path to a destination. And if in the future we had a "Bike Lane" attribute for roads, all the better.
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2012 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Samsung Galaxy Note (i717 AT&T; AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus

Postby Riamus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:43 am

Yeah, I support biking and walking options that don't contribute speed data. From the Google acquisition, biking is coming, so chances are that walking will also. I can see GPS marks in local parks already where there aren't any roads.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby fvwazing » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 am

I can see REAL tracks made in the park, in the fields.

(2 bicycle shortcuts out of 14-16 leaving my hood)
So... would you expect to map this, then? Google does not know these, of course, and if any of you advocates even TRIED using Google's routes on a bike you would see the ridicule of it all.

(14min? More like 3 or 4 in RL)

I would say: first make Waze work the way it was promised 3 years ago - for cars.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby top_gun_de » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

Well, there are bikes, and then there are bikes. These ways are just fine for a cross-bike, but not for an ATB or a standard city-bike. They serve their purpose: Everyone expects a different thing from bike-ways, just like a truck driver has different expectations of car-navigation from the driver of a limousine.

Best regards,

Detlev
AM Region Hannover, CM Deutschland (Germany), Coordinator Germany, Global Champ

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App