Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Speed camera notification bug?

Post by
My main home to work route is M1 J10 to J5 but I'm often in Dunstable at J11.

Whilst travelling on the motorway, the App speed camera notification pops up with the usual distance countdown. The thing is, the countdown is too early and finishes well before the actual camera.
Looking at the App, the image for the camera is where it should be in relation to the physical camera, it's just that the countdown notification seems to think the camera is closer than it is.

Unfortunately, it's not all cameras and isn't necessarily related to motorway cameras either as I get it at a camera in Watford. It does seem to be the same cameras for me though. The 2 gantry cameras between M1 J11 and J10 are 2 that spring to mind. The 2 northbound cameras are OK though.

I use a Galaxy S4. Has anyone else had the issue??

POSTER_ID:16101822

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I would question where you are and, more importantly, where your phone thinks you are. Phone SatNav accuracy is not always the best and can can be wildly inaccurate.

I find I am regularly behind on SatNav so get warnings for either cams or turns just as they are past.

Maybe try a go with GPS Test - a free app on the play store which will give you a rough idea of the accuracy of your positioning.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I can't see a duplicate cam. There is a gantry at or about where you are before the camera. Maybe it is a ghost cam still flagging warnings but has only recently been deleted?
Does seem odd though...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Noticed something similar today and previously.

Where a camera was usually being reported it now longer (seemingly) was. The next camera was being flagged.
Same cameras today and I get a verbal for the first cam and then almost immediately a verbal for the second cam removing the warning for the first.

I also notice that there is no longer a highlighting for the cam that is being identified. No flashing, concentric rings etc.

I am suspecting approach speed and the speed the camera is set to so I'll check the speed of the cams to see whats up.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

On a check of some other cams I passed, some had no speed set and were also pointing in the wrong direction!
There were also a couple of missing ones but I was unable to report them... I'll just have to poodle out the A614 again for a coffee!

No time I got cam warnings did I get the circling effect. And I know in Android it deffo used to happen.

{BUG ALERT!}

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I think I may have identified the issue here..

I suspect that you will only get the rings around the camera IF you are travelling faster than the set speed for that camera.
Gven most of the cameras in nottinghamshire are actually SPECS, it doesn't pay to be going faster at any point between them as you'll get caught! So undoubtedly I was driving like an old granny so didn't see or get any warnings about excessive speed on approach to a camera.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I'll confirm the above statement from Twister as well. First cam gets the blue throbber and then none afterwards.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Tested this now in both portrait and landscape and the same (as with speed cams too). My test red light cam has appeared and I have approved it so I'll update accordingly.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
I've not seen this on iOS, anyone on android (especially an S4) care to comment?

Screenshots would be useful.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
I will have a look through all the Bugs posted on Centrecode and Bugzilla later and see if I can see anything similar and if not I'll raise a bug report.

One thing, on Android do you get the circles flowing out of the camera being reported on (or is that just an iOS thing). Don't see in in the screenshot.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
Must an android thing?

After doing some testing today, the current iOS beta does have a new bug in that it is confused between metres and feet so the distance countdown is screwed up, but everything else seems fine in that positions are correct AND I still get the circles coming out of the camera.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message