Issue - Waze repeatedly losing GPS signal

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Issue - Waze repeatedly losing GPS signal

Postby akouda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Actually, I am having the same issue...I can tell that it has to do with the latest updates, because i have been using this App for years now...before the last update waze has always worked FLAWLESSLY...it's a been a month also that my experience with waze has been extremely frustating....To the point that i am actively looking for an alternative, despite that i have always swore by Waze and have recommended ot to my friends and family around the world!!!!!Each time that I am activating the navigation now,,the apps is not able or deactivate the GPS somehow and state that no GPS isavailable and I should go outside?!?!?!? by staying at the same spot, I hav to turn off the GPS manually and turn it back on before the Waze app recognize it?!?!?!?!? VERY FRUSTATING!!!! A new bug now is that it does not recalulate automatically, if you choose to ignore the initial route?!?!?! it asks you to go back to the highlighted road?!??!?! Never before it has done that!!! VERY FRUSTATING!!!!!
It seems that so far we are not getting any help frm the developper...No response after more that 6 posts?!?!?!?
akouda

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:12 am

Verify that other similar apps or GPS utility apps do or do not show similar symptoms.

BTW, how are you determining GPS is dropping? And, FYI, Waze has nothing to do with GPS other than reading the data that the phone OS provides to it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 am

Where is your phone when this happens? A windshield mount? On your lap? Tucked into the console somewhere?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 am

Try installing this app - it's a GPS Status / Toolbox and will run under Waze. Got it from one of the other Champs at the US Meetup this year - it will help you determine if your phone has weak/no GPS reception & if the problem is Waze or your device. It will also reboot your GPS/aGPS systems if it detects an issue.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm

RenoHuskerDu wrote:Waze does sometimes screw up when it insists over and over that I go back to the indicated route instead of recalculating based on actual position, or it recalculates for so long that I lose patience and reboot. Those seem like Waze issues, not phone or android.
If you're not locked to a road, Waze can't recalculate - it can only tell you to get to a road, so it can recalculate. The problem is one of two things - Poor GPS Lock/GPS interference (i.e. the trees messing with the signal) or the roads in that area not mapped properly. Please post a Permalink so someone can look at the area in question.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:44 pm

RenoHuskerDu wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:If you're not locked to a road, Waze can't recalculate - it can only tell you to get to a road, so it can recalculate. ...

I'll buy that. Here a permalink to an area where I've seen the problem thrice in two days.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&lat ... 57&env=row

Thx//Reno
Please zoom in and select the road(s) you were on before you create your permalink. That way we can look at specifics.

Also, you may want to check with other French Wazers in the Board index ‹ Community ‹ Country (Language) Forums ‹ France [Français] sub-forum.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Arco123 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 am

Same issue here. Waze has worked flawlessly, as far as gps is concerned in the past. In the las test rev, the red notification of losing gps signal is constantly on. Google maps works, so my assumption is that the waze upgrade is somehow flawed. This is happening on a iPhone 5.
Arco123

Postby bobbassplayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:13 am

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S2 for a bit more than two years now, and it seems that the GPS is not quite as reliable since the most recent Android OS update some months ago. Sometimes, if the phone's been on continuously for maybe five or six hours or longer, the GPS doesn't detect the satellite signals at all (when this happens, GPS Status also reports that no satellite signals are available, so clearly Waze is not at fault); sometimes it will work properly if I turn off the GPS and turn it back on again. Some other times I have to reboot the phone for the GPS to start working again.
Bob
Costa Mesa, California
bobbassplayer

Issue - Waze repeatedly losing GPS signal

Postby Borgholio » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 am

Brand new (two weeks old) Galaxy Note 2 - AT&T network.

Installed Waze first thing when I got the phone and it worked great. Today on the freeway it started doing what my last phone (Galaxy S3) did...it would lose and then regain the GPS signal repeatedly. I'd be driving fine, then it would lose signal. A few seconds later it would regain signal, only to lose it again a few seconds after. I would have to reboot the phone to get it to work steadily again.

I'm not sure if it's a phone problem or a Waze problem, but since it's on both my old phone and a brand new phone, I'm leaning towards a Waze problem where it just drops the GPS signal and keeps re-acquiring it only to drop it again.

Is this something that sounds familiar to anybody?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 am

AndyPoms wrote:Where is your phone when this happens? A windshield mount? On your lap? Tucked into the console somewhere?

Dashboard mount, with a clear view of the sky out the windshield.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests