The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

House Numbers - A Placebo?

Post by brone44
So, if I understand this correctly (and I may not): even though my condo building address shows up in the Waze app on the wrong street and the wrong block, and even though I read the documentation and understood most of it, learned how to make map edits, and fixed the problem and several other house numbers in my neighborhood in Map Editor, it's basically the same functionality as the placebo button at a crosswalk until Waze decides to use internal numbers? So why are even allowed to change house numbers in Map Editor?
brone44

POSTER_ID:16249426

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's often quite advisable to have the data updated and ready for release prior to making the search function use it. If the data was horribly bad and addresses were a wasteland, then releasing the search functionality would result in thousands of complaint posts and tweets, and users say they are "never going to use Waze again with such horribly incorrect address data."

This is not hyperbole. Similar situations have happened in the past where exactly all that happened.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
brone44 wrote:I guess in that case I would be happier if there was an announcement of a target date at which time the internal house numbers would be used.
In my years with Waze, I have never known them to announce a "release date" of any kind for anything. I'll say a word at your wake should you decide to hold your breath. :P
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
brone44 wrote:As of today, it appears that the Google navigation app has picked up the correct location of my house (building) address, as has the Waze app, so making the house number changes in Google Report a Problem only took 2 days to populate to Waze. However, strangely enough, when I search for the building address in Google Maps on my PC, it still shows the old, incorrect address (and yes, I did refresh). Oh well...
"Google address data" doesn't populate in Waze. Once google does the update, it is available for any app which uses their search API. It would happen in Waze the same second it happens in Google.

Now, since it doesn't show correctly in Google on your browser tells me that google didn't actually fix it yet. Though, there is always a difference between searching by address or by name. Two different sets of data.

Waze could have updated their search code to bring back internal house numbers without telling us. That would be surprising, but not very surprising.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bretmcvey wrote:Given the current state of house numbers, should the Wiki have a caveat that mentions that Addresses (House Numbers) can be added via Google Map Maker to see nearly immediate corrections?
It does already have a warning. Since it's global, Google isn't appropriate to put in there because not every country uses google for address lookup.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
Given the current state of house numbers, should the Wiki have a caveat that mentions that Addresses (House Numbers) can be added via Google Map Maker to see nearly immediate corrections?

I've updated the Waze house numbers when requests come in about inexact addresses leading to inaccurate routing, but simultaneously I've added/edited those address markers in Google Map Maker. The results of the edits being made in Google has meant the marker updates show up nearly immediately and at least resolve the user issues without requiring a map tile update.

I really like the functionality of Waze's house number editor, but in terms of seeing results... Google Map Maker seems to be the best course of action. Some additions may not be immediate in Google and might require a review, but I've had great success lately in updating POIs and address markers in Map Maker. I've avoided using the "Report a data problem" link in Google Maps as I didn't always get a response and the Map Maker side is a bit more transparent to show what's published and what's still needing review.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
It's actually been fairly simple, although Waze's integration is a much more elegant solution in terms of snapping an address to a road segment. With Google Map Maker you just add a place marker that's of category "Address" and fill in the appropriate fields.

Google Map Maker has actually been offline for maintenance for the past several days, but at least it's an option in terms of editing in the US and for other countries that rely more on Google markers.

I've actually been able to entice responses via comments when it's clear a location marker doesn't exist or is placed incorrectly in Google Maps. Their response allows me to fix via both editors and suddenly something like a house or business that never mapped to the right spot is resolved.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by brone44
I guess in that case I would be happier if there was an announcement of a target date at which time the internal house numbers would be used.
brone44
Send a message

Post by brone44
So...if Waze in the US gets its house numbers now from Google Maps (instead of Bing), and there is no indication when or if Waze will ever actually use the house number corrections that we make in Waze Map Editor, why would we not instead go to Google Maps and use the Report a Problem function to fix the house numbers at the source? Anyway, that's what I did today, and I will report back to the group when (or if) Google Maps picks up my corrections and if they are subsequently implemented in Waze.
More to follow...
brone44
Send a message

Post by brone44
As of today, it appears that the Google navigation app has picked up the correct location of my house (building) address, as has the Waze app, so making the house number changes in Google Report a Problem only took 2 days to populate to Waze. However, strangely enough, when I search for the building address in Google Maps on my PC, it still shows the old, incorrect address (and yes, I did refresh). Oh well...
brone44
Send a message