[Script] WME Add-Ons V0.45 ==> Features moved in WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Add-Ons

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm

davipt wrote:Please. Do. Not. Do. That!

Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Now about the dead end roads it would indeed be nice to have waze automatically set them to two-ways and add the node at the end, instead of the effort editors need to do to fix them up and specially when it requires extra scripts to detect and fix them.

Whoa, slow down there. 1st, I'm talking about an area I have first hand knowledge of, there are NO one way streets in these towns. 2nd, we're talking about basemapped areas, a good number of the streets are in the wrong locations, etc, because this data was imported. These small towns take me forever to clean up.

If the street is set to a one way, even though it's two way, won't that generate an auto pin? If unknown waze would eventually learn, but if I have the knowledge why not put it on the map now and make wazing easier for the clients?
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Ah.... that old fallacy.

BTW, where in the wiki does it say that?

I too would like to know, I have not found that in the Wiki.

I did however find this: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Automatic_map_updates_and_the_locking_of_roads

Which advises, in part: "...It will change the directionality of a road, enable turns, and reportedly it will change the geometry or layout of a road.
This can cause map errors, especially in areas where there are few wazers. One wazer who always travels one way down a road may change a correctly recorded two-way road into one-way."

and I'm currently talking about small towns, where there are few wazers.

Edit : side note, I'm not one of those on a "points quest". I want waze to work correctly when I go driving out to these small towns and rual area's just as well as it works in the big cities. In a way I feel fortunate, because I have been granted my AM area that covers a big city and many rual and small towns. The whole reason I became a map editor was to improve the user experience around my area.
Last edited by rottielover on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm

davipt wrote:
TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Ah.... that old fallacy.

BTW, where in the wiki does it say that?

What do you mean fallacy? No of course I can't find the exact sentence on the wiki, or the forum, but isn't it well known that streets do change from unknown to one-way and to two-way, but will never ever be able to learn and switch back from two-way to one-way? Also routes will prefer segments manually set to two-way over segments marked as unknown?

Please see my post above, according to the page I linked in the wiki, Two-Way roads can be changed to one way, if wazers always drive down the same way. (possible in these small towns)

As far as routing, the engine's choosing is dependent on more factors, but I can tell you from experience of using the Livemap to test routing I've seen the engine prefer an unknown direction "street" before (this was in a downtown area and the routing was taking people down an Alley that was basemapped incorrectly as a street. It's since been corrected. But there are many factors like origin point, destination point, and all segments between.
Last edited by rottielover on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 pm

davipt wrote:
rottielover wrote:http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Automatic_map_updates_and_the_locking_of_roads

Which advises, in part: "...It will change the directionality of a road, enable turns, and reportedly it will change the geometry or layout of a road.
This can cause map errors, especially in areas where there are few wazers. One wazer who always travels one way down a road may change a correctly recorded two-way road into one-way."

I was once curious about this one so we have setup a certain remote and not used one-way segment as two-way and have, two guys, driven there every day for some weeks to test it. It never changed to one-way. It may apply if the road becomes automatically two-ways because of people driving both ways, and later become one-way if people starts driving only one way, but after setting it manually to two ways it never changed. And obviously it wasn't locked.

Anyway we're not arguing against each other here, if we are all in this thread we all surely know the power of this script and the amazing help it provides, as well as dangerous damages it can potentially do. And I see no issues for a entire small town to be set as two-ways (even all directions), and I have plenty of cases like those, but personally I do prefer people to drive there and have waze automatically learn the directions and the position of the road. Mostly because of lazyness and having other more important fixes to do ;)

Agreed, I don't feel this is an "argument", I enjoy discussion, I try and learn something new everyday!

Example, today I found out what the NbWays column was :) (btw, Is there more documentation somewhere?)

The other thing to keep in mind as well is that the map needs to function. In a few of these towns I was getting "crazy" routing, because the basemap import was just "all jacked up" (no other term for it)...

Thanks all!
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:04 pm

davipt wrote: or then filter by each speed and see areas where people surely cross the limits. o.O

Why does that matter?
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:36 pm

So here's the big question: Does the segment list work correctly in Chrome? I hated having to switch to Firefox (which won't let me click E/W streets) to use the segment list to track down Portola segments.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Version 0.3 seemed to work fine, however version 0.40 does not appear the same in WME.

The button is no longer on the same line as the other WME buttons, and the WME Add-Ons menu pops up too far to the right and is not entirely visible. The subs menus therefore do not appear at all.

I'm not having this problem with .4. Is it maybe conflicting with another plugin or require a refresh of Chrome?
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 am

Just wanted to say thanks. Today I found that the city of Eastvale, CA, had about 1/3 of the roads named with the wrong city, and another 1/3 or so with no city selected at all. (I don't think Eastvale was an official city at the time of the basemap import) This tool has been a lifesaver when it comes to correcting the roads and getting them to match the official city limits.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm

robin1979 wrote:
olestas wrote:Suppress extra - should not include similar segments which have restricted turns in between.

They shouldn't be connected as such then - this behaviour is okay like it is now.

For gated entrances in private communities where only residents can open the gates. You restrict the turn in so Waze doesn't direct guests through those limited access gates. If you separate the segment, you'll get missing road problem reports due to residents driving through the gate. For whatever reason, Waze is more likely to generate an auto report for that vs driving against the turn restriction.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: [Script] WME Add-Ons V0.43

Postby shawndoc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm finding that with the latest version of the NA editor, having Add-Ons active in the Extensions menu on Chrome results in the UR/PR's not changing color when you mark them solved/NA.

Disabling WME Add-Ons causes them to change color like they are supposed to.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts