Post by skbun
sketch wrote: Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you're misunderstanding skbun :lol:

If it goes on the sign, it goes on the segment.
Right, this is what I'm saying. We don't want to try to be smarter than the signs are.
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by skbun
By the way, can whoever can bend Waze's ear get SR-XX implemented for state shield generation? Washington is virtually empty of state shields because we're on the new standard now and ready to roll.
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by sketch
skbun wrote:US Highways were agreed in the 2012 meetup to be formatted as US-XX. The wiki was never actually changed to reflect this.
I changed it right after the 2012 meetup to reflect this. I don't know why it was changed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
orbitc wrote:So, what is that mean for those states there are not using the US-XX model?
We've been told to hold on on changing anything and wait to hear Waze.
Staff and champs alike came to a consensus. In other words, it's not up to the states and never should have been. Maybe the Wiki wasn't clear enough about this, but that's how it is.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:Yes, but it is now proven that decision was based on a lie. The premise was US-xxx would be used to generate the US shield. Why should we break the shields that are working. There is no good reason to change freeways from US Hwy XX to US-XX.
It was based on the premise that the shields will work with US-xx in the future, which is still true. There is a VERY good reason for changing them — it saves valuable space on the display and in TTS with no real loss.

Changing "I- xx" to "I-xx" broke shields too, but we didn't hesitate so much to do that, because "I- xx" looks like garbage and is a waste of space.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
One of our big directives is to make the map as best as it should be without working around anything Waze might be doing wrong at the time. Waze promised us shields in the future. It doesn't matter if it takes them a couple years. So working around the old shields isn't something we should be doing.

As for cardinal directions, no, it doesn't look great, but surely we can sacrifice a pretty map to make our traffic reports more meaningful! "Heavy traffic on I-10 W" is waaaaay more useful than "Heavy traffic on I-10". Without the direction, the user would have to crossreference the report with the map to see which direction the traffic was actually going in, which requires time, knowledge of the map, and can be misleading since Waze doesn't bother to flip the map to North Up when showing reports like that. With the direction, the user knows where the traffic is without even looking at the map.

We'll get our pretty maps later. We need useful maps NOW.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The purple road names need to not use the shield data, IMO. If you haven't this, check it out.

Right now, the purple label that just reads "219" for "State Hwy 219", "30" for US-30 and "5" for I-5 look ridiculous to me. I believe the purple markers should be based on the primary segment name, not the shield.
I agree.

They should also be used for ramps, I think. It'd be especially nice if, for ramps, the purple label displayed only up to the first colon or slash, e.g., "Exit 234B" or "to I-10 E".

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:These are beta threads, but I assume this issue went live with 3.6 based on what you are saying.
Right. No changes were made to the purple boxes on the nav line from beta to release.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
orbitc wrote:Anybody have any objection for us to change them to US-XX? (similar to NY style) Thanks.
US-xx has been the countrywide standard for a year and a half. Any contrary information was due to either misinterpretation or ignorance of the naming standards somewhere along the line. So yes, you may.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but it seems like the right kind of idea. Permalinks for every segment? That I don't understand.

What would be nice is a spreadsheet list of all US highways, with a column for each state. Each non-empty cell would show Incomplete, In progress, or Complete, for each US highway per-state. I may be able to build it tomorrow night.

That way, each user could take on the task of converting the US highways one at a time. I've actually recently begun doing so on US-460 in southwest Virginia. This would allow us all to keep track of our progress together.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message