Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by dalydose
I'm not sure why Waze is ignorning Windows Phone 7. I know that those in business development can see beyond raw number to look at trends. Windows Phone 7 IS growing and the early adopters are the types of users who are passionate users. In fact an article was written about the game Fruit Ninja and how it made 7x the amount of money on WP7 as it did on Android. Sometimes, size doesn't matter. (http://www.manyniches.com/windows-phone ... evelopers/)

It is really frustrating to see an app that I really liked using on WinMo ignoring the clammer of fans for a WP7 client app. Not only did I use the app, but I was a promoter in the streets. (See passionate user comment above) Now, I have been silenced except for the occassional Tweet after @waze announces a new Android or iOS version while I sit and stew about the "no roadmap" status for my beloved phone.

For the love of all that is mobile, find someone in a decision making capacity and shake them...hard...until they reconsider this "business" decision.
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
hallmike wrote:Bah. Windows is just a fad.
You are entitled to your opinion as short-sighted as it might be. I hope the Waze wizards have a bit more insight.
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
hallmike wrote:I was just being sarcastic and making up a reason for why Waze isn't supporting it yet. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
ooops! :) Maybe **I** need more insight!!
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
psychomf5 wrote:Please make this...
Go vote for it.
I've voted, Tweeted, Facebooked, Commented, Blogged, Meditated, Burned an iPhone in personified effigy. Nothing seems to shake a WP7 version out of waze, but I keep seeing newer, better iPhone and Android updates. *sigh*
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
RallyChris wrote:Please understand, that win phone 7 is a completely different platform, so this is not as simple as recompiling and deploy.
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't express our desire to have waze? If not, are you saying that it hasn't been enough time? Because lots of other companies have found a way to make it happen by now.

Maybe you are saying that the "numbers" don't add up thus not making it worth the effort. Counter argument made better than I can here: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-deve ... -7-2010-10

The bottom line is that there is an army of potentially passionate evangelists out there that waze is missing out on. These are loyalists and people that USE the heck out of their technology. They would be good for the waze ecosystem, which provides the precious data and that would be a boon to waze and all of its users on all of its platforms.

Sure it's a different platform, but they made it happen with Android and originally with iPhone. I've also heard that WP7 is one of the easier platforms to develop for and there is compelling evidence that it is worth the effort. I just hope some MBA type at waze figures it out and makes something happen.
dalydose
Send a message
Last edited by dalydose on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dalydose
unwallflower wrote:
dalydose wrote:
RallyChris wrote:Please understand, that win phone 7 is a completely different platform, so this is not as simple as recompiling and deploy.
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't express our desire to have waze? If not are you saying that it hasn't been enough time, because lots of other companies have found a way to make it happen by now.

Maybe you are saying that the "numbers" don't add up to making it worth it. Counter argument made better than I can here: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-deve ... -7-2010-10

The bottom line is that there is an army of potentially passionate evangelists out there that waze is missing out on. These are loyalists and people that USE the heck out of their technology. They would be good for the waze ecosystem which provides the precious data that would be a boon to waze and all of its users on all of its platforms.

Sure it's a different platform, but they made it happen with Android and originally with iPhone. I've heard that it is one of the easier platforms to develop for and there is compelling evidence that it is worth the effort. I just hope some MBA type at waze figures it out and makes something happen.
I don't think that RallyChris was implying that you shouldn't express your desire for a WP7 client, OR that it "isn't worth it" at ALL. I didn't see any such argument from him.

He was simply saying that it's not like designing a client for Android 2.1 vs Android 2.2. It's an entirely different OS, and therefore my impression is that the level of effort required to design a WP7 client would be similar to if they decided to design a client for your laptop. They wouldn't have to just tweak the code a bit, they would have to rewrite it entirely.

Waze is still sort of a "baby". They have limited staff. Face it, if you look around the forums... they can't even keep up with developing for iOS, Android, Symbian, and Blackberry, AND maintain their server-side systems. It's my impression that they just don't have enough manpower. I think RallyChris was trying to say that developing for WP7 would be a significantly greater undertaking than many users seem to understand. When you have limited resources, you have to allocate them in such a way that makes the most sense... and it looks like Waze has allocated their man-resources in the way that makes the most sense to them.
This is good discussion! :) I'm glad it hasn't devolved into name calling and intellect comparisons.

I wasn't trying to put words in @RallyChris' mouth, but trying to ascertain the thought process that comes to the decision to allocate their resources as you describe. I think it is a mistake to focus on the types of feature enhancement that has been going on with the Android and iOS apps. In MY estimation getting out the large footprint before the larger competitors jump in would be the most advantageous allocation of resources. Waze IS its footprint. The better the user-generated data, the more valuable waze is.

I won't rehash my loyal/passionate/evangelical user argument above, but that is certainly something to consider. I've recommended apps that I like to people of all platforms. To me, it seems that it is all about footprint growth which WP7 users are acutely aware of! ha ha
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
unwallflower wrote:I think you have a good point, and I can't argue against it. Getting Waze to the widest audience possible, especially in situations where it may be the best/only nav app, seems ideal. And given past experiences with Waze, I'm surprised that this isn't their goal.

I certainly don't always agree with their priorities. I wish I knew what prompts them to allocate their time in the way that they do.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the Microsoft needing to put out some sort of API. The GPS is available because apps like FourSquare work. Multi-tasking might be an issue as well. I just wish we could hear from waze about it. If it's a Microsoft issue, then I am begging and pleading in the wrong forum! :)
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
Mscatinboston wrote::o OMG, I just switched to W7 with Verizon. I did not realize that I could not use Waze. :( What am I going to do without my Waze!
Keep letting waze know what you want. Go vote for it too.
I **really** want waze on my wp7!
dalydose
Send a message

Post by dalydose
The last couple of weeks there has been a APPALANCHE. I literally now have every, single app that I want except for waze.

In just the past two weeks, I got Evernote, a better Facebook, a better Foursquare, Glympse, Kik Messenger, IM+, LA Times, USA Today, Plentyoffish & VEVO. Here is a complete list of all "major" app released in the last two weeks for Windows Phone:

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone- ... tz-numbers

It seems that everyone is recognizing the tidal wave of WinPhone except waze. I hope someone over there can see the error in this business decision and get us a waze app post-haste. Dare I say "PLEASE"?????
dalydose
Send a message
Last edited by dalydose on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dalydose
unwallflower wrote:TBH, it doesn't surprise me *too* much that the devs are choosing to (at least temporarily) neglect Windows Phone 7.

WP7 simply isn't the "future" of mobile devices. And I know some of you loyal WM users will disagree with that, but it's what I strongly believe.

Not to mention that Windows Phone 7 isn't just a new iteration of Windows Mobile... it's an entirely different platform. WP7 can't run WM apps. I think it would require a lot more work than some might think.
I'm a bit surprised that they continue to ignore the platform:

* Microsoft has put out tools to make mapping from Android and iPhone apps easier.
* The Nokia partnership is poised to make the platform explode
* The mango update is getting pretty consistent rave reviews
* In recent weeks, most major apps seems to be popping into the Windows Phone Marketplace
dalydose
Send a message