Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Removal of speed cameras following legal issues

Post by shirlig
Hi guys,

We have just removed from the map all the speed cameras in Denmark, Switzerland and Germany due to it being illegal in these countries.

we are examining ways to make Waze compliant with French law as well

Thanks,

Shirli
shirlig

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by Snake68
davipt wrote:...
- if it's clear that it's illegal for the driver to use the feature of radar DB POI while driving on a public road in Germany then indeed the most ethical solution from Waze to Waze users is to not provide the radar feature while in Germany.

IANAL.
Well, each passenger is allowed to use a radar warning app and can warn the driver of traffic jams and speed cameras, even on public roads.
So my emphasis that it applies only to the driver.

The fact is that such an app in Germany to distribute or sell is perfectly legal!
Snake68
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Snake68
Colonel667 wrote:Of course it's illegal here in Germany. ...
And again read the law:
§ 23 Absatz 1b der StVO: wrote:(1b) Dem Führer eines Kraftfahrzeuges ist es untersagt, ein technisches Gerät zu betreiben oder betriebsbereit
mitzuführen, das dafür bestimmt ist, Verkehrsüberwachungsmaßnahmen anzuzeigen oder zu stören. Das
gilt insbesondere für Geräte zur Störung oder Anzeige von Geschwindigkeitsmessungen (Radarwarn- oder
Laserstörgeräte).
The driver of a motor vehicle, it is forbidden to use a technical device or operational
carry, which is designed to display traffic control measures or disturbing. the
particularly products to malfunction or display of velocity measurements (radar warning or
Laserstörgeräte).
Alone, the driver commits an offense if he uses such a tool WHILE he drives on public roads.

There is no law that prohibits the sale or distribution of such tools.

Greetings
Snake68
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Snake68
wasserkatze11 wrote:I thought it is just illegal, when u use it while driving... before it is legal^^
P.S.: even "professional" apps include this functionality, but it can be disabled...

It's only illigal for the driver while driving! Not before or after.
And it's legal for all passangers in the car while driving :!:
Snake68
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
popel22 wrote:Waze is not worth a single cent without a motivated community.
Think about that shirli while you're enjoying your weekend.
She's back to work....Sunday is a working day in Israel.

And I can't believe it was her decision and she actually can allow herself to re-think it.

It's obvious that it's a Google decision.

Shmupi
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
Tilonius wrote:This decision was a big mistake.
The user should decide whether to use it.
We will lose many users. :cry:
+1

:cry:

How could you guys delete all the hard work that we have done in mapping those cameras ???

Have you checked other options before deleting them ?

It seems that the statement that Google / Waze will work even closer to the community was an empty one !

Shmupi
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by shmupi on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by shirlig
Some very good news - we were finally able to clear out the legal issues with speed-cams in Germany and will reactivate the feature soon!

This has just been announced in the German forum (link).
shirlig
Send a message

Post by shirlig
Hi all,

First, I apologize for the post factum notification.
We should have definitely informed you before taking the action and not retroactively.

However, in this case we have been required to take prompt action in removing the speedcams due to law violation.

Unfortunately, in such cases, when legal issues are involved - we can't open it to discussion. We have to operate in compilation with the law.

For the next time - we will make sure to keep you involved as soon as possible.

Moreover -
1) the speedcams data is backed up in the data base so if we realize that it is legally possible to return them - we have all the data.

2) We will keep checking if we can use the data in these countries in compilation with the law. If you can send us some concrete examples or suggestions - please let us know and we will look if there's anything we can do about it.

Thanks,

Shirli
shirlig
Send a message

Post by Scorp42
I think we all need to remember that any entity is going to do what their attorneys tell them to do. I hire attorneys because I am not one. I respect what they tell me, and I trust that they have my best interests in mind because they want to retain my business. Of course they are human, and make mistakes too.

I'm sure this decision wasn't taken lightly, and waze legal obviously feels it is in their best interest.

The only way you are likely to change their minds, is to show them their legal team is wrong.

Claiming that they are only hurting or offending the community, isn't going to change anyone's mind, as I'm sure they took 'community outrage' into consideration. Waze isn't stupid, they know very well that they wouldn't be where they are today, without us. They aren't deliberately trying to upset anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998